Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight rain gear recommendations
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 21:03:17 MDT Print View

Nice job Stephan,

Any issues with build up of sweat inside the chaps?

Cheers,

Stephen

stephan q
(khumbukat) - F
Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 22:01:42 MDT Print View

Stephen,
For hiking in the rain your legs would get wet from side spray or pack drippage long before condensation would become an issue. In light rain, with the baselayer protecting the skin, you get a heat pump effect. I am mainly at altitude (afternoon thundershowers) or on the coast ( morning dew on overgrown trails), but for PNW like conditions I would add yet another layer, the rain kilt. WPB rain pants only work well in cold weather. Umbrellas are great for downpours and shade, but don't work for my hiking conditions.
I tried the Tilley Hat/ Seattle Sombrero route, but again, not for me. Pit-zips are great for breaks in the storm and uphills. I'll be DIY'ing some on my Mica soon. Enjoy.

stephan

Edited by khumbukat on 05/27/2012 22:17:30 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 22:04:50 MDT Print View

Cheers Stephan :-)

Linda Vassallo
(eastbayhiker)

Locale: Eastbay
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 23:08:53 MDT Print View

Hello Stephen. I see rain chaps were mentioned in another post ...... I use ZPacks rain chaps with my Gatewood Cape. This has worked well for me. The cape is also my shelter and pack cover. Wt of the cape/shelter is 13oz and the chaps weigh 1.3oz for the pair. If your rain jacket is long enough maybe the chaps would work for you. I also use an earlier version of the ZPack backpack.
Cheers
LV

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
alternative on 05/28/2012 21:32:13 MDT Print View

I am switching up my system some for when there is not much rain forecast or it is warm outside. I mainly use a trash bag rain skirt and am now just going to use an umbrella along with a windshirt with a good DWR. I could also throw in a tarp/poncho in case I got worried and I would also have a form of shelter. I have a pair of rain pants and a jacket but I just don't end up using them much.

Robin McKay
(rlmckay) - M

Locale: Auckland NZ
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 07/06/2012 02:49:39 MDT Print View

Stephen - I have the Zpacks Cuben Fiber Jacket,
they are fab - Hey it's not a fashion parade out there!

Sunny Waller
(dancer) - M

Locale: Southeast USA
Lightweight rain gear on 07/06/2012 04:23:21 MDT Print View

I use the Zpacks Rain Jacket. I like it so much I just ordered the Zpacks Rain Pants. The first time I used a Dry Ducks jacket the zipper failed when I put it on and zipped it up. I also had the seam split on a pair of Dry Ducks pants when I was putting them on. I was glad the failures occured at home and not on the trail. Zpacks also makes a poncho that I use for rain gear when it is warm. This poncho is NOT a shelter..it is designed to work as a ground cloth inside a hexamid tent. This poncho is great in windy conditions because you can zip up the sides but still have the great venilation under the open arms. This is all I really need in the summer and it weighs only 3.9 oz.

Stephen.. Joe at Zpacks might be able to make you Rain Jacket in a different color. Send him an email, I promise you will get a fast response. Joe will work with you on anything he makes..many people on this site have bought customized gear from him.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Lightweight rain gear on 07/06/2012 16:56:47 MDT Print View

Thanks Leslie,

I have seen the Zpacks Wpb rain gear mentioned on here and the weights do like nice.

Cheers,

Stephen

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
OR + versalite on 07/07/2012 00:08:35 MDT Print View

the cheap/easy solution would be to just ditch the rain paints. 11 oz is not bad for an event shell.

Another option would be to buy an OR Helium II & those 4oz montbell rain paints. I dont bother with rainpaints here in the CO rockies. I either wear quick drying softshells or running shorts w/windpants for backup.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Lightweight rain gear on 11/18/2012 21:15:43 MST Print View

Stephen.. Joe at Zpacks might be able to make you Rain Jacket in a different color. Send him an email, I promise you will get a fast response. Joe will work with you on anything he makes..many people on this site have bought customized gear from him.

Two quick notes...

First, Joe is not in the USA right now, he and his wife are in NZ hiking the Te Araroa Trail. They have had people working in the ZPacks offices and workshop for a rather long time and they are taking care of things while the Valesko's are out of country.

Second, to the best of my knowledge the WBPCF is only available at this time in white. I have not heard any word that Cuben Tech is making this specific material in any other colors. They might, but I have not heard any mention of it.

-Abela

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Rab Pulse on 11/19/2012 07:33:47 MST Print View

Based on my research I just bought a Rab Pulse, 7.5 oz. size large, to replace my worn out Marmot Essence. I will pick up a pair of Montbell Versalite pants when they come back on the market in spring aprox 4.5oz to replace my old GoLite Reed pants.

I wear my rain jacket quite often when it is not raining, it makes a nice layer over my hiking shirt when it is cooler.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

thanks folks on 11/19/2012 07:39:52 MST Print View

Hi folks,

I am going time hold out to see what offerings come out in Event Dvl.

Cheers,

Stephen