Forum Index » GEAR » Lightweight rain gear recommendations

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 11:51:34 MDT Print View

Hi folks,

My current rain gear is Event and weighs in at about 22oz, the trousers have 3/4zips as I wear size 13 boots and trail shoes.

I really like event but looking for something lighter for when there is not much rain forecast.

Any recommendations?

Stephen

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 12:29:05 MDT Print View

DriDucks are ~12 oz for jacket and pants. Cheap @ ~$16.

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
DriDucks not durable on 05/27/2012 12:30:00 MDT Print View

DriDucks are cheap,but not very durable.

Hugh Teegan
(hteegan) - MLife
Re: Lightweight raingear recommendation.... on 05/27/2012 12:32:35 MDT Print View

DriDucks Ultralight 2 come as a jacket and pants set with a total weight of around 14 ozs. They are quite fragile - not for brushbashing - though a small amount and some duct tape are ok. They do not last long - though you can considerably extend their life by always keeping them in a plastic bag when in your pack so that they do not get "worn" by your other items and the quality control has not been great - always do a quality check before you need to - zip, seam welding.
On the other hand they are very cheap (~$20) and very light (~14ozs), totally waterproof and quite breathable.
The cuffs of both jacket and pants are elastic so you can usually slip them on and off over anything else you may be wearing. You are not going to win any fashion shows with these and the size runs big - I would not recommend getting a smaller size because of this though as I think they are deliberately cut large to avoid stressing the material and seems. I've actually taken to getting a size bigger than normal and wear the jacket over my daypack to keep it dry too.

Edited by hteegan on 05/27/2012 12:39:24 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
REI KIMTAH eVent parka on 05/27/2012 12:33:22 MDT Print View

REI's Kimtah is about the least expensive eVent "medium weight" parka I know.

My XL Kimtah weighs 15 oz.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: REI KIMTAH eVent parka on 05/27/2012 12:52:50 MDT Print View

Hi Guys,

I have seen the Dri ducks in Walmart, I suppose for Emergency use they would be good.
I am looking for something a bit more hard wearing.

Hi Eric,

My current jacket is 11oz and so are the trousers, probaly a bit misleading above when I mentioned the 22oz weight.

Cheers all,

Stephen

Tommy Franzen
(Tomlike) - F

Locale: Pacific Wonderland
Golite on 05/27/2012 13:00:20 MDT Print View

The Golite Tumalo pants are $50 right now,7oz. and the Kenai Jacket is also $50, 10oz. Also the new Montbell Versalite jacket and pants are really lightweight options

http://www.golite.com/mens/outerwear/waterproof-breathable

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Golite on 05/27/2012 13:20:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Tommy,

Will check them out.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 14:10:38 MDT Print View

You could always try some breathable cuben rain gear from Zpacks. The top and bottoms together weigh 7.5 oz.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 14:13:17 MDT Print View

Wow, that's light.

Any idea how the breathbility compares to other materials.

Cheers,

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 17:52:40 MDT Print View

I address the issue of the ZPacks WPBCF Rain Jacket within my two articles on it:

ZPacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket and ZPacks Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber Rain Jacket – Update #1.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 18:09:24 MDT Print View

Thanks John,

I would be all over them except for the colour :-)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 18:10:43 MDT Print View

Dri Ducks jacket with tyvek pants.

Or go multipurpose and use a poncho tarp. I can't think of a lighter solution.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 18:28:10 MDT Print View

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for that, I don't think I am ready to go down the Poncho shelter route as I have used Ponchos users ago and they are a pain in strong winds.

Good idea though.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 18:35:27 MDT Print View

Great review John, definitely something I will put spend some time researching, it's nice you also brought up the topic of discoloration of the white material.

Due to where I am living at the moment I only hike every 4-6 weeks so I have not given Sul or Xul much consideration.

Cheers,

Stephen

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 19:25:13 MDT Print View

@Stephen, sure thing. Not aware of anybody else there that has done a detailed review of the zpacks wpbcf rain gear so thought it might be of some interest to you and others.

You might also be interested in an article written by Will Rietveld called Make a Hooded Tyvek Rain Jacket and Chaps for Under $10 that he published via GossamerGear.

Edited by JohnAbela on 05/27/2012 19:25:52 MDT.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
OR Helium on 05/27/2012 19:41:48 MDT Print View

the OR Helium is what I use for rainwear (don't wear rain pants), it's a low feature jacket, but the hood design is good and breathes about as well as any waterproof garment I've used- 6.4 oz in size Large

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 20:01:34 MDT Print View

Hi John,

Will look in to that also.

You mentioning the Cuben rain gear made me look at the Z packs Cuben packs also, most of my gear is UL except for my packs (Aarn Mountain magic 55 & ULA Catalyst) and my rain gear.

I could save a nice bit of weight by moving to lighter kit.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: OR Helium on 05/27/2012 20:02:44 MDT Print View

Hi Mike,

6.4oz is a nice weight.

Cheers,

Stephen

stephan q
(khumbukat) - F
Lightweight rain gear recommendations on 05/27/2012 20:50:56 MDT Print View

Howdy, my current set up is a Marmot Mica and DIY silnylon chaps. Under 10 oz. total and the chaps are great for wet bush hiking.chaps
To compete the system, I use my visor/ballcap. If rain is certain, I include E-vent shortie gaitors. Adds 2 oz.

stephan