Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Keychain LED light headlight

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Keychain LED light headlight on 05/26/2012 11:33:34 MDT Print View

Made 2g headstrap to hold a keychain LED light.

Materials:
3/4" wide 0.34oz cuben, about 23" long
1/16" shock cord
Tiny cord lock
Ultra-mate Velcro, adhesive backed
1/4" wide double sided tape

Apply the tape to one edge of the cuben, fold over. Apply another length of tape to the cuben, fold over again. End result is three layes of cuben all taped together, about 23" long, 1/4" wide. [if 1/4" wide tape isn't available, use 1/2" and start with 1.5" wide cuben strip. End result will be 1/2" wide]

Apply 1" long of tape to the end, and fold over 2" of the end to form a loop at the end of the strip of cuben 1" long. Fix tape down.

Cut and tie the shock cord, attach cord lock.

Test fit on head. Locate where you would want the light to be on the side of your head (this can be adjusted by rotating on your head)

Cut small piece of hook side velcro, affix to strap. Loop side goes on your keychain light.

Place strap on head, stick light on in desired direction.Headstrap showing the velcro on sideHeadstrap with light affixed

Steve

Edited by geokite on 05/26/2012 11:35:30 MDT.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
nice on 05/26/2012 21:35:23 MDT Print View

Very cool, but how do you get it to point straight forward? It looks like it would point every direction except straight out in front of you. That's got to be the lightest headlamp ever though. I like it!

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Light on the side on 05/26/2012 22:50:03 MDT Print View

The light goes on the side of your head, pointing forward. Actually, the strap can be rotated around so the light is pointing wherever you want it to. The angle down can be adjusted with the velcro.

Similar to http://www.niteize.com/products/headband, but the angle down can be adjusted.

Just tried it with my Fenix LD01; too heavy of a light for it. The cuben would have to be 1/2" wide to get a large enough piece of velcro for the LD01 to stick.

Steve

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: Light on the side on 05/26/2012 23:01:10 MDT Print View

Ahhhhhh...now it makes sense to me haha. It's past my bed time if you can't tell.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Use 1/2" on 05/30/2012 19:31:54 MDT Print View

Just made another one with a final width of 1/2". Much easier to put on, less likely to get a twist in the cuben strip.

Steve

Edited by geokite on 05/31/2012 10:00:17 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Use 1/2" on 05/30/2012 23:01:54 MDT Print View

very cool and smart design.

its probably because I'm tired and delirious, but it just occured to me, that a person (ideally with a shaved head) could use some temporary glue or double-sided tape, or sticky side velcro, and just affix the keychain LED directly on the scalp, over the ear. now you see why I said shaved head? haha.

bypass the whole strap part, and become ONE with the light.

I supposed someone endowed with long hair could still bypass the head strap, by using a barrette or hair clip and attach the LED light.

never mind, I like your design better. Its people friendly :)