November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG chest pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Rhoades

Locale: WV
MYOG chest pack on 05/25/2012 21:08:43 MDT Print View

So I'm an avid fisherman, but have recently become enamoured with fly fishing. I've been wanting to try a small chest pack to hold a fly box some tools and my tippet spools. I didn't know if I would be happy with the feel of the chest pack, I'm used to a waist pack(fanny pack), therefore didn't want to shell out the cash for one. My answer was to just make myself a chest pack to try out. That way if I don't care for this style pack I'm only out a few dollars and a few hours.

I used the 200d silicone backed oxford nylon from DIYgearsupply, some scrap silnylon, 1/2" grosgrain, 1/2" webbing, 1/2" buckles, and a leftover zipper. I modeled it after Zimmerbuilt's Tenkara pack to the best of my ability.

Here's what I ended up with. Comments, criticisms welcome.

Edited by kingpin on 05/25/2012 21:15:57 MDT.

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Re: MYOG chest pack on 05/26/2012 06:05:32 MDT Print View

No criticisms from here!

That looks like a piece of gear perfectly tailored to your use. Nice job!

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: MYOG chest pack on 05/28/2012 00:00:07 MDT Print View

I have two major criticisms:

First, it's really more of a belly pack than a chest pack ;)
Second, how much does it weigh?!?!

It actually looks really good and something you'll get plenty of use out of if you like the concept. Nice work!

Sean Rhoades

Locale: WV
Re: Re: MYOG chest pack on 05/30/2012 16:42:41 MDT Print View

Well the neck strap is adjustable so I can pull it up to my neck if so desired. I just kinda threw it on for the pic.

And it weighs just about 2oz exactly.