Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Stickey Wanted:
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Stickey Wanted: on 05/25/2012 13:46:47 MDT Print View

MODERATORS> Could we have a "stickey" post at the top of this forum which lists the best sources for powdered, dehydrated/freeze dried, etc. food for backpacking? PLEASE?

Please put their websites in "clickable links" so we can easily add them to our FAVORITES list.

Ben F
(tekhna) - F
Re: Stickey Wanted: on 05/25/2012 16:31:00 MDT Print View

Is the forum software here sophisticated enough for a stickey?

SPAM
(Trekked)

Locale: Midwest
"Stickey Wanted:" on 05/25/2012 16:39:45 MDT Print View

I would like to know some good brands also. The best tasting brands would come in handy also.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Try trailcooking.com on 05/25/2012 17:06:08 MDT Print View

There's a good list of sources on Sarah's website.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Stickey Wanted: on 05/25/2012 17:26:55 MDT Print View

This forum can give you pot stickers, BPL stickers, and even stinky hikers, but no sticky threads.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

"This Forum"... on 05/26/2012 12:43:46 MDT Print View

At BPL many are PAYING mdmbers. Given that we need:

1. STICKEYS on each forum

2. CHOICE OF FONTS (i.e. bold, Italic, underlined, etc.) Then we would not have to resort to the "shouting" of capitalization to emphasise a point. No?

3. SMILEY FACES C'mon, lighten up. These may save unnecessary arguing and diffuse hostility.

So get these going and, if need be, get a new webmaster!

Eric, A paying member

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Hey Eric, on 05/26/2012 13:01:07 MDT Print View

I'm sure that they will put Maia on this right away, but remember that:
1) Labs have really short attention spans,
2) She has paws, difficult to type with,
3) Stickeys may not be supported by the site package.

Have a great weekend!

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Stickey Wanted: on 05/26/2012 13:15:39 MDT Print View

You don't *have* to shout.

There are subtle ways to provide clues to the reader, and emphasis can be increased if needed.

The techniques needed to do such things haven't changed in almost 20 years. The 3 minutes it takes to learn the basic HTML tags is time well spent.

People here REALLY LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS.

Stickies are a painful way to preserve and present information. Nobody enjoys reading a 30 page thread. A web page, wiki, or google doc would be a better use of effort in most cases.

Edited by redmonk on 05/28/2012 12:10:50 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
I don't want stickeys on 05/26/2012 13:41:23 MDT Print View

I don't like them as they clutter the forum. Before you know it you'll have to scroll pages to get to anything that isn't a stickey.
I also do not want colors or different fonts or smileys. I really don't. I like the simplicity here. No need to make it all look like a poster.

I don't think one should speak for everyone else here.

From a paying member.

Edited by Kat_P on 05/26/2012 13:43:56 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Stickey Wanted: on 05/26/2012 19:30:09 MDT Print View

+1 for what Cameron said.

"The techniques needed to do such things haven't changed in almost 20 years. The 3 minutes it takes to learn the basic HTML tags is time well spent".

Party On,

Newton

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

HTML tags?? on 05/27/2012 01:03:10 MDT Print View

Being semi-literate in computers I have no clue about these tags - BUT why not just put the font change tags ON EACH FORUM???

Really, is that too much to ask of a website that charges for membership? Really??

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: HTML tags?? on 05/27/2012 07:55:56 MDT Print View

"Being semi-literate in computers I have no clue about these tags - BUT why not just put the font change tags ON EACH FORUM???

Really, is that too much to ask of a website that charges for membership? Really??"

Eric, you are not factoring in that there are members who do not want this. I am not just neutral about it.
Not that my wishes will ultimately matter, but I ask management to please NOT make those changes.
As a paying member.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: HTML tags?? on 05/27/2012 09:34:19 MDT Print View

I find it odd that BPL is one of the few forums where one must know HTML tags to even post anything above simple typing. The majority of forums have it all built in.......

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Persactly! on 05/27/2012 12:31:13 MDT Print View

Right Sarah, TRAILSPACE has a font toolbar built in as do several others, particularly in Europe. Why not on BPL? It's a matter of convienance and a service we should expect.

STICKEYS> OK, if a majority doesn't want them fine. Just a suggestion. They work well onm other types of forums and could do so here, at least on some forums.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Persactly! on 05/27/2012 13:27:31 MDT Print View

Most likely BPL is using a preset forum format and it would be difficult to modify it around. I would really prefer the regular forum format that 90% of sites use, but it is what it is. I don't know if you could even transfer all of the forums, threads, posts, and users directly onto another format.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
No sticky! on 05/27/2012 14:32:59 MDT Print View

IMHO the best reason for not having a sticky post (aside from the whole concept not being functional here) is that such information requires constant maintenance. I've never seen this maintenance happen on any forum, with the result that such info inevitably is woefully out of date with a lot of links that won't work.

Since there are private websites that do have food supplier info and keep it up-to-date (such as Sarah's trailcooking.com site), I see no reason for having one here that will be useless six months after it is posted.

BTW, I tried the html tags for links when I first joined this site, and they wouldn't work for me. By now I've forgotten them and the notes have long since gone to recycling. It takes less time to copy/paste!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: I don't want stickeys on 05/27/2012 21:19:01 MDT Print View

A huge plus one for both Kat and Cameron's comments. I hate those freaking smileys. No quotes or signatures either thank you. I use a watch this thread feature instead of stickeys, What is important to one is not important to everyone else Eric.

And why are you posting this in this forum? Barely food related.

Edited by kthompson on 05/27/2012 21:41:51 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Re: I don't want stickeys on 05/27/2012 22:13:24 MDT Print View

Why so negative??

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: I don't want stickeys on 05/27/2012 22:17:38 MDT Print View

Sarah, it's odd to have someone make a request/demand as if all of us here want it. Some of us really don't. Colors, smilies, stickies and a variety of fonts would detract from my experience at BPL. Eric goes on as if we all want and demand that. We don't and we are letting it be known.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Why so negative on 05/27/2012 22:25:46 MDT Print View

Negative? A difference in opinions.

And we have gone down this road plenty during the decade plus of this site.