Forum Index » GEAR » ESBIT FUEL - Black Residue?

Display Avatars Sort By:
evan parsons
(freestyleparsons) - F

Locale: Dowtown LA
ESBIT FUEL - Black Residue? on 02/20/2007 15:11:08 MST Print View

Hi All,

The few times I've used Esbit tablets as stove fuel, I've ended up with a nsaty black residue coating my cook pot. I'm wandering if there may be a better brand of Esbit, a better stove or maybe that's just the deal with Esbit?

I've been using the FireLite Titanium Esbit Wing Stove with the FireLite Solid Fuel Tablets.

Evan

David Lewis
(davidlewis) - MLife

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: ESBIT FUEL - Black Residue? on 02/20/2007 17:10:44 MST Print View

That's what esbit does. All solid fuels will do that. It's one of the trade-offs. Personally... I don't care since I use a $2 beer can as a cookpot. However... it does come off easy if you clean your pot right away. Just carry a tiny section of green 3M scrubby pad and use with your dr. bronners soap (or other soap) and water. Comes right off.

Edited by davidlewis on 02/20/2007 17:11:15 MST.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: ESBIT FUEL - Black Residue? on 02/20/2007 20:40:28 MST Print View

Yes, the residue is normal. I've found true esbit leaves less than Coughlan's or military issue trioxane.

As for clean-up, after 5 straight weeks of esbit, I sat my pot in a bit of isopropyl alcohol for about 15 minutes, then it rubbed right off.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: Re: ESBIT FUEL - Black Residue? on 02/20/2007 20:45:34 MST Print View

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer also cleans the residue up, but it doesn't really bother me.

evan parsons
(freestyleparsons) - F

Locale: Dowtown LA
Thanks folks on 02/21/2007 16:04:03 MST Print View

Hey Thanks folks,

Oh well, that's too bad, I was hoping I was just using the wrong stuff... like the day I made an alcohol stove using rubbing alcohol...heh...yeah.

Evan