Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Baffle Pattern?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Stratton
(MStrattonScouter)
Baffle Pattern? on 05/23/2012 08:10:27 MDT Print View

Baffle Pattern

What do you guys think of this baffle pattern for a quilt. This should eliminate cold spots and prevent baffles from being squeezed when the quilt is pulled on.

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Locale: San Francisco
Re: Baffle Pattern on 05/23/2012 08:48:41 MDT Print View

It calls for a lot more baffle material. The length is set by the baffle length. The quilt/bag will shorten.

The other way to draw this would be to have the top and bottom flat but have the baffles on diagonals to the same sew points. Even more baffle material.

Compare to Karo step which is fine for keeping down in place, but uses the least material.

Gets me thinking though. I just bought a thru-hiker quilt kit.

Mike Stratton
(MStrattonScouter)
Hmm. on 05/23/2012 09:15:34 MDT Print View

Yes, for every 6 inches of final quilt length with 1.5" of loft there will be 6.95" of material in the arch. for 2" of loft, this will be 7.65"

I was actually thinking of making this with three layers of M50.

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Re: Baffle Pattern on 05/23/2012 14:44:53 MDT Print View

As shown the baffle is taut. Think of how it relaxes. The top sew points will move higher and the bottom sew points will move lower and the whole thing gets shorter.

There's a nice feature that the loft is not "limited" by the baffle height. An overfilled quilt could get much thicker, at the expense of length.

Mike Stratton
(MStrattonScouter)
Ahh RE: Baffle Pattern on 05/24/2012 07:26:44 MDT Print View

So, you think in actuality that it would probably look more like this?Modified baffle

I think I'm gonna try it with some cheap rip stop and see how I like it.

Thanks

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Re: Ahh on 05/24/2012 10:08:02 MDT Print View

Post some pix when you do!