Forum Index » GEAR » Golite Shangri-la series mods and reference

Display Avatars Sort By:
Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
Golite Shangri-la series mods and reference on 05/21/2012 15:53:01 MDT Print View

Hey all-

I have spent many an hour looking at threads created by individuals to showoff a mod they performed (or had someone else do) to their respective Shangri-la shelter. Many never circle back and weigh in on whether or not they are still happy with the mod or component, or provide details on what they would have done differently. I have an SL3 & 5 and am hoping to start modding them up a bit...but first wanted to see what people have thought of their experiences!

In essence, I hope to create a kind of mother thread for people to post up pics of their their custom jobs of all types of Shangri-la's. (Thinking that in many cases the modification is relevant to more than one particular model.) Also welcome would be any reference material for owners or prospective buyers of these shelters.

Please feel free to post up some pics, links, thoughts, etc! When I finally start chopping and sewing, I will be back to show off and feed it further!

P.S. I thought this fit well in the gear section, since in many cases, people may not be myog-ing. Mods: please move if you see fit.

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
SL3 on 05/24/2012 08:26:09 MDT Print View

I have an SL3 and use it for solo trips as well as family ones. Though I don't have any mods done to it I do have a BPWD PyraNet1 mod that I love. It's 1/3 of the weight of the full inner with plenty of room for one plus gear and gives you a HUGE porch space! My favorite part of my setup is the trekking pole joiner I made out of steel tubing. I read about this cunning doobrie from the OookWorks site. He lists the dimensions as 12mm with 170mm length. I used the tubing below with no problem for my Black Diamond poles.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183531/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=steel+tubing&storeId=10051

The owner of Oooksworks is very friendly, professional, and accomodating with custom projects. I chose to go with Bear Paw due to price and locale. I am thinking of having some bug netting added to the bottom of the fly at some point though.

peter tooke
(petersont) - M

Locale: NYC
SL3 nest on 05/25/2012 11:54:03 MDT Print View

Hey-

I also have a newly acquired SL3 and want to get a lighter inner for it. When you have the time, would appreciate some pics & specs on the one BearPaw made for you... also costs.
One other thing - as this thread continues it's always great to have some idea of the poster's size, for instance I am 6'3 & broad shouldered.

Thanks-

Peter

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Custom inner on 05/25/2012 16:07:19 MDT Print View

I had John at Bear Paw make me a custom inner for my SL3. You can see it on his site under the custom tab. It is the one titled "Custom Shangri-la 3 inner tent". It came in at 24 oz and sleeps two with gear and creates space for a vestibule and allows for opening the fly without water coming into the inner.

It was $165 shipped or so as I recall and took a couple of weeks from first contacting him to receiving it. For another $25 or so, he could add a zipped ripstop door to fully seal the inner.

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
Custom Inner on 05/30/2012 11:49:44 MDT Print View

Peter - My BPWD inner weighs 19.60 ounces without the mesh stuff sack. I don't have access to my pics right now but I will put some up later. I ordered it with the heavier duty silnylon floor, the lighter noseeum mesh, and an inverted T zipper. It's plenty durable (I don't use a ground cloth) and packs small. I was hoping it would've been about 4 ounces lighter but oh well, he will only give you a rough estimate on weight. Price was $150ish if I remember correctly. It is well made and comes with integrated line locks and light weight guyline. Excellent customer service BTW. I spoke with the owner over the phone a few times and he is very friendly and helpful.Shipping was also very fast. My package arrived less than 14 days after placing the order.

Dimensions

Edit - Like I stated previously, there is plenty of room for one plus gear. I am 65 inches and 135 pounds.

Edited by Emilio on 05/30/2012 11:52:54 MDT.

peter tooke
(petersont) - M

Locale: NYC
SL3 mod on 06/02/2012 09:25:01 MDT Print View

Thanks Emil-

I note that the drawing you show is from the Oookworks version. So I assume you sent this for Bearpaw to reproduce the exact dimensions?
Makes sense(ยข) given the price differences, I'm not familiar with either's work so quality differences unknown...