Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Bear Canisters
Display Avatars Sort By:
Texas Chinooks
(TexasChinooks)

Locale: DFW
Wonder Why Bearikade Fails? on 05/23/2013 06:38:39 MDT Print View

I've rented the bearikade a couple of times now and was considering buying. I'm not sure why it fails when the plastic Bear Vault did not. The bearikade did not seem to have any place for the bear to get a grip.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: Wonder Why Bearikade Fails? on 05/23/2013 06:57:08 MDT Print View

Well, I believe it is the sharp corners on the Bearikade. This allows them to apply a lot of pressure. The edge actually overlaps and allows a bear some purchase with his oposing teeth. The rounded corners of a Bear Vault will discourage such attempts. The body is larger than the ends.

''V'' (veylupek)
(CzechClown) - MLife

Locale: JMT/PCT
Bear Canisters on 05/23/2013 07:04:05 MDT Print View

I use the BV450 while thru-hiking the JMT.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Another options on 05/23/2013 07:41:21 MDT Print View

I got a UDAP no fed bear canister which is similar to the Garcia - slighly smaller and consequently lighter - mostly because for as much as I use one it was for sale at STP with a 35% coupon and included the carrying sack.

With them being on sale at REI it is hard to pass up the BV - but it really is a value equation regarding the $ and utility. I understand some will go to almost any length to shave weight - at least relatively insensitive to price per oz saved. I am not one of those people but admit I will spend in some areas and have. I think the relative comfort is solely weight with the bear canister. Whereas, say, a nice down bag is not only lighter, but compacts smaller, and is a good bit warmer than my similarly rated synthetic bag - and I place a fairly high utility on a good nights sleep. Perhaps unfairly the one dimensional nature of the canister makes it harder to justify the significant price difference given few other advantages aside from weight.

Josh Brock
(needsAbath)

Locale: Outside
Re: Re: Wonder Why Bearikade Fails? on 05/23/2013 10:36:10 MDT Print View

"Well, I believe it is the sharp corners on the Bearikade. This allows them to apply a lot of pressure. The edge actually overlaps and allows a bear some purchase with his oposing teeth. The rounded corners of a Bear Vault will discourage such attempts. The body is larger than the ends."

I would love to see the study on bear cans from which you got this information.

I went with the bearikade its lighter at a greater volume with the draw back being a higher price. Thats like most other gear a part of UL backpacking.

About that picture with the grizzly, as some one pointed out to me that is the only case that I have seen a bearikade fail. and I have seen pictures of other ripped apart containers since. I think that a bear proof container is in-accurate. If a bear has the time and the will he will get into any container on the market. I think the idea behind the container is to be hard enough to get into to convince the bear there is easier food to be had.

Edited by needsAbath on 05/23/2013 10:39:35 MDT.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Wonder Why Bearikade Fails? on 05/23/2013 10:49:52 MDT Print View

No data, just a belief.

Ben H.
(bzhayes) - F

Locale: So. California
Re: Re: Re: Wonder Why Bearikade Fails? on 05/23/2013 17:03:37 MDT Print View

"...I went with the bearikade its lighter at a greater volume with the draw back being a higher price...

About that picture with the grizzly, as some one pointed out to me that is the only case that I have seen a bearikade fail. and I have seen pictures of other ripped apart containers since..." Josh B.

You seem to conclude there is no performance difference between the bearikade and other bear canisters. That may be true, but you are glossing over one major functional difference between bearikade and other bear canister: Bearikade is not an approved canister in grizzly bear areas and the others are. Furthermore, it appears, the lightest bearikade (the scout) is not an approved canister in blackbear areas either!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Bear Canisters on 05/23/2013 23:34:50 MDT Print View

That's the difference--whether or not they are legal where you are backpacking. For example, in Grand Teton NP, where they mandate containers approved by the IGBC, the Bearikade is illegal. Interestingly, in the Wind Rivers, they allow either hanging (with a method that those who know Yosemite bears would find laughable) or IGBC-approved canisters. In Yellowstone, they allow only hanging, not canisters. These three areas, of course are contiguous, or practically so. Weird!

And, of course, the Bear Vault is illegal in parts of the Adirondacks where the late Yellow-Yellow's progeny abound.

As bears wise up, of course (Yellow-Yellow being a case in point), these requirements are bound to change. Sometimes I think bears are a lot smarter than we humans!

Edited by hikinggranny on 05/23/2013 23:41:10 MDT.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Re: Bear Canisters on 05/24/2013 05:30:06 MDT Print View

"And, of course, the Bear Vault is illegal in parts of the Adirondacks where the late Yellow-Yellow's progeny abound."

The BearVault is not illegal, it is just not recommended. They only require a hard sided container for food. It really doesn't have to be approved by any agency. But, it does have to be commercially manufactured with the intent of keeping bears out.

Yellow-Yellow was killed by a hunter, last year, I think. She was the only known bear to open Bear Vaults on a regular basis. I have heard one report of one of her cubs trying to imitate this behavior, but I cannot confirm it. Could be rumor...

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
FBI to round up Bear Vault owners on 05/24/2013 07:19:18 MDT Print View

Apparently, the FBI field office in Lake Placid, New York has begun a program to round up and detain users of the deadly BearVault "bear canisters", which are known to fail under the claw and drool of a vast number of one dead bear in the area.

"These things are illegal and pretty much the next most dangerous thing to the infamous 'Bearikade' canisters that explode in a frazzle of carbon fiber at the slightest touch by a Grizzly, but we don't have any grizzlies here and there's all this Homeland Security cash we can tap into, so you can rest assured: the public will be safe," noted Field Agent Michael McGillicuddy, "unless we catch you with an illegal BearVault, of course."

Lake Placid Times Journal article about Bear Vaults

Nathan Hays
(oroambulant)

Locale: San Francisco
Re: FBI to round up Bear Vault owners on 05/24/2013 07:38:13 MDT Print View

Priceless.
Next will probably hear about speed limits and "walk, don't run" signs on the JMT.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Sizing on 05/24/2013 10:27:22 MDT Print View

I've been searching through some threads over the past few days. Is it safe to say that the BV500 is the more appropriate size for most people on the JMT? I know some people have done it with the BV450, but I'm thinking that requires great packing and a fast pace. Not sure I'd want to risk it for 8 oz.