Dulse flakes
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
Dulse flakes on 05/20/2012 10:24:19 MDT Print View

I just wanted to put Dulse flakes on some people's radar in case it suits anyone's needs. I've been using the Maine Coast Sea Vegetables brand organic dulse flakes for a few trips now. They're dehydrated sea weed and full of iodine, potassium and other trace minerals and vitamins. They taste a bit salty and a bit sea-like. At home I'll just eat a pinch after a long hot sweaty day at work, but on the trail they go great mixed in soups and noodle meals. So you might want to skip bringing the salt and add some dulse next time!

Kate Magill
(lapedestrienne) - F
sea veggies rock on 06/01/2012 10:45:38 MDT Print View

Nori, dulse, and wakame are all favorite hiking snacks of mine. Mineral-rich, lightweight, and it doesn't matter if they get squished or crushed!

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
nori, dulse, etc on 06/02/2012 09:37:24 MDT Print View

We use those as well. My friend from the East Coast introduced me to dulse a while back. It's pretty easy to find in our little city too - we must have a good population of people from down East here.

I've used ground Nori in several applications too. Works well.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Dulse flakes on 06/04/2012 01:52:35 MDT Print View

The only time I've used dulse is part of a whole body cleanse. For those interested, Dr. Bernard Jensen has a good 7-day cleanse program.

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: nori, dulse, etc on 06/04/2012 09:37:52 MDT Print View

Dried seaweeds and dried mushroom blends have totally revolutionized my backcountry soup experiences. Those and miso soup. So nourishing to my spirit to have a bowl of savory soup.

If you are feeling cheap, cheaper brands of nori are only $3 per package or so and can be cut into about 50 strips. Lots of iron.

Kanpai!

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: nori, dulse, etc on 06/04/2012 10:30:45 MDT Print View

Oh yeah that dulse in a bag is tasty stuff. I sometimes just eat it as a snack at work. And dried mushrooms are great. So cheap if you can get them at Asian markets but even whole foods has a cheap forest mushroom blend. A little dried mushrooms expands to a LOT of mushrooms!

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: nori, dulse, etc on 06/04/2012 12:21:30 MDT Print View

I use Dulce flakes at home but without a doubt my favorite healthy snack is Tao Kae Noi!
I found them at the local Asian market. Very addictive, crunchy seaweed fried in palm oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Kae-Noi-Seaweed-Flavor/dp/B0057K1WSW