Forum Index » Chaff » vehicle to the trailhead

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 10:22:12 MDT Print View

Curious what you fine folks are driving to the trail head. I've lost a good friend and backpacking partner (moved out of state) and we would always take his truck to those more difficult to reach trailheads. My small compact car was recently demolished in an accident and so now I'm considering a new vehicle that would work a little better on those bumpy roads than my now dead elantra. I have been looking at mid sized SUV's specifically the Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander, but I've noticed a lot of the SUV's don't seem to have much more clearance than sedans these days.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 10:54:54 MDT Print View

I see a lot more Subarus at the trailheads the past few years. Less SUVs.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 11:00:33 MDT Print View

Jeff, that is true about the clearance. I drive a Honda CRV and it's built on a car chassis. I love how it handles and the space I have in it. I have had the thing for 7 years now with no issues. 177,000 miles on it and still chugging away

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 11:24:13 MDT Print View

I think the Toyota Highlander is also mounted on a car frame, whereas the 4Runner isn't--it's a real truck.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 11:38:59 MDT Print View

We recently had a thread about what people drive.

I'm a 4 runner.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 11:51:58 MDT Print View

"but I've noticed a lot of the SUV's don't seem to have much more clearance than sedans these days."

Modern SUVs are silhouettes of what they once were, all looks and no guts.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
vehicle to trailhead-Ground clearance on 05/20/2012 11:56:02 MDT Print View

Ground clearance

According to Consumer Reports

2010 Subaru Outback 7.5 inches
2010 Subaru Forrester 8.5 inches
( i read somewhere that the turbo charged Forrester has less clearance but have not been able to confirm that factoid)
2010 Toyota Rav4 6.0 inches
2010 Jeep Wrangler 9.5 inches

Toyota 4 Runner 9.6 inches
(per Michael Lang)

Edited by btolley on 05/20/2012 15:11:27 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: vehicle to trailhead-Ground clearance on 05/20/2012 14:13:47 MDT Print View

I wonder how conser reports measures that. My 4rumner has 9.6 inches clearance by all measures I've seen and used.

Bruce Tolley
(btolley) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Vehicle to trailhead-Ground clearance on 05/20/2012 15:05:26 MDT Print View

Michael
Probably an error or typo by CR.

Toyota reports 9 inches
http://www.toyota.com/4runner/specs.html

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 15:13:19 MDT Print View

I recently (month ago) purchased a Tacoma (DC 4x4) that will be my new getting to the trailhead vehicle, I'm keeping my WRX but it was a little tough going on many of the unmaintained FS roads that I frequent. I had a 92 3/4 ton Chevy that would have been much more suitable, but the gas mileage was so poor (and most of the places I hike are 2+ hours away) that I drove the Impreza instead. The 92 has been traded off :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"vehicle to the trailhead" on 05/20/2012 16:53:35 MDT Print View

Mike,

I would never guess you as a WRX guy.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: "vehicle to the trailhead" on 05/20/2012 17:28:42 MDT Print View

Eugene- I'm a man of many surprises :)

Mike

Photobucket

Gerry Volpe
(gvolpe)

Locale: Vermont
vehicles on 05/20/2012 18:44:56 MDT Print View

Honda CRV
Trailheads and groceries. Great car for snow and occasional rough roads.

Ford F150
Infrequent trailheads, canoe trips, and hauling only at 19 mpg unloaded and with a tailwind. I am a Toyota man at heart, not wanting payments meant I was shopping with a domestic wallet.

What I really want is my CRV with a plug in hybrid engine. That would be awesome.

I was always a Subaru guy when they were cheap, reliable and bomber. My 86 GL wagon was perfect; 5sp, real 4wd with 4low, front wheel drive mileage when 4 was disengaged, cargo capacity, very capable in snow, and reasonable off road. It rusted to death before it's time at just under 200K

Edited by gvolpe on 05/20/2012 18:47:00 MDT.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
@Mike on 05/20/2012 19:58:06 MDT Print View

Perfect timing, I have been thinking this and was about to post and I saw this.

OK I'm in the same boat- wanting a vehicle to get to THs and stuff. I don't necessarily NEED a 4X4, but I dont want to have to turn around at logging roads or the water runoff bumps (or whatever those things are).

We have an Escape and I'd like something like that clearance-wise.

What I (with little car knowledge) want is a WRX but on Forester springs (which I've seen done on Suby forums) or some suspension lift just to get a few more inches.

My question- Is the Impreza the wrong platform? I was thinking WRX to get a few extra horses to turn the bigger wheels, but I have no idea what the gearing is like,,, in a WRX it may be all race gearing.

Basically I want the old Eagle 4X4 car from the 80's.

Impreza outback on Forester springs?

PS: I get the difference between AWD and 4X4 and I'm not dreaming of some Impreza rock crawler... I just want a small car that'll get up some sketch roads, not off trail or 4xin. If that will work, IDK Somebody just tell me...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: 4x4 vs AWD on 05/20/2012 20:16:04 MDT Print View

"PS: I get the difference between AWD and 4X4 and I'm not dreaming of some Impreza rock crawler... I just want a small car that'll get up some sketch roads, not off trail or 4xin. If that will work, IDK Somebody just tell me..."

I believe you.

And do I assume you know to look for "lockable" AWD as well?

Because downhill on grease in old-style AWD will require a change of shorts.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: @Mike on 05/20/2012 20:35:02 MDT Print View

you can raise a WRX :) just look at the rally cars- they are typically 1-2" higher than stock

Forester springs (and/or struts) and a slightly taller tire will give you a 1-2" of lift, there is also an aftermarket outfit- King that makes taller springs

w/ the rally background there is quite a bit you can do w/ the Impreza for gravel- light bars, skid plates, etc

it'll never be a truck, but should be plenty capable for most gravel roads

the Forester XT is also a viable option as is, it has the 2.5 w/ a turbo and makes plenty of ponies :)

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
vehicle to the trailhead on 05/20/2012 23:25:20 MDT Print View

Mike.

You knocked over a cone.

: )

Sean Staplin
(mtnrat) - MLife

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies
Why hike, I just drive. on 05/21/2012 00:47:45 MDT Print View

I just drive the trail, to hell with walking.(just kidding). I did drive my Lexus SC 400 to the parking lot for Spooky/Peekaboo when I did a 80 mile loop hike. I was able to drive very slowly and straddle the ruts. I sure did hope it didn't rain though, as I would of been stuck till it dried out. lol Most anything that has a little clearance will work for most trial heads. If you want something a little more beefy the 4 runner is about the best. Far more reliable and longer lasting than jeeps. My landcruiser is really overkill and has been on the Rubicon, and most trails in the moab area, beef basin, the maze, but fuel milage sucks. On the plus side I do have an onboard hot water shower hooked up to a heat exchanger that gets heat from the engine cooling system. :)
Landcruiser

Edited by mtnrat on 05/21/2012 00:57:57 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: vehicle to the trailhead on 05/21/2012 01:50:43 MDT Print View

> Modern SUVs are silhouettes of what they once were, all looks and no guts.

Well, actually, most modern SUVs are either shopping trolleys or purely for the macho appearances. Take them off-road??? Whatever for?

Cheers

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Why hike, I just drive. on 05/21/2012 01:53:35 MDT Print View

> My landcruiser is really overkill

Not around here it ain't! Standard outback car!

Yes, the petrol ones are really thirsty, but we mainly use diesels.

Cheers