Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Awesome Maltodextrin Deal

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Lucas
(ChemE) - F

Locale: SC
Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/17/2012 23:41:32 MDT Print View

Honeyvillegrain is selling a 50lb bag of 100% maltodextrin for $55.48 delivered anywhere in the CONUS right now! That is $1.11/lb shipped! This includes a 15% discount through 5/22/2012. Tate & Lyle is a brewing supply company and malto is very commonly used in brewing where it is always 100% pure. Hope this helps someone.

Tate & Lyle Maltodextrin 50lb

Edited by ChemE on 05/17/2012 23:57:55 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/18/2012 00:19:53 MDT Print View

Hmm...I might order some of that for very long term use. I might add a little of it to my meal replacement shakes to give me a quick energy hit while I'm waiting for the slower digesting nutrients to get into my bloodstream.

Or maybe not. It'd take me 2-3 PCT thru hikes to deplete all that.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/18/2012 00:29:56 MDT Print View

Eugene, study that carefully. I think I saw something about the shelf life being one year in optimal conditions. It would take me until sometime the next century to use up fifty pounds of that stuff.

--B.G.--

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/18/2012 00:35:17 MDT Print View

Thanks Bob. I probably wouldn't have ordered it. I already have years of powdered supplements in the pantry. That's really good to know that it has a short shelf life. Hopefully it'll sit for 3-4 month in poor conditions so that I could package all my powdered meals before my next thru hike.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/18/2012 00:59:55 MDT Print View

"I already have years of powdered supplements in the pantry."

Why?

Is it because it seemed like good stuff once upon a time, and then your taste changed?

Or did you decide something negative about the old stuff when you changed to the new stuff?

--B.G.--

Chris Lucas
(ChemE) - F

Locale: SC
Color Me Skeptical on 05/18/2012 01:16:49 MDT Print View

I seriously doubt that malto is bad after 12 months of "optimal" storage. In fact my maltodextrin that I use for homebrewing is 4 years old and hasn't killed me yet. I think this is more of a "best by" date that the manufacturer adds to encourage you to use it up quickly. This is sugar after all, it should be nonperishable.

EDIT: They seem to attach the 1 year shelf life to all their products including steel cut oats. Sorry but that is pure BS. Brewers are fine using whole grains which are 2 years old and can still brew award winning beers from them.

Edited by ChemE on 05/18/2012 01:23:58 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Awesome Maltodextrin Deal on 05/18/2012 01:48:48 MDT Print View

I got a couple great deals. Some from a killer black friday deal, and the rest from a separate bulk order. I still use all of it.

Raquel Rascal
(flutingaround)

Locale: Rocky Mtn. West
Brand recommendation? on 11/23/2012 08:57:08 MST Print View

Can anyone recommend a good brand of maltodextrin powder that mixes well with cold stream water?

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Caution on 06/11/2013 20:38:39 MDT Print View

I found this thread and wanted to caution anyone that may find it...... the Malto from Honeyville doesn't mix well with cold water. I highly recommend using an agglomerate Malto. See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=72290