Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS: Nylofume Bags round 4

Display Avatars Sort By:
david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
Round closed on 05/18/2012 04:45:33 MDT Print View

Well, that was fast.

Busy weekend ahead but I'll try to get things done as soon as possible.

J W
(jhaura) - M

Locale: www.Trailability.com
Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 05/18/2012 09:53:27 MDT Print View

Are you guys using these for:

Packliner or Odor Proof?

I can supply these bags, but need to know which purpose is most popular because the same film can't be used for both purposes.

Nylofume is not waterproof and should only be used for odor proof purposes. We use a different film (with same mechanical strengths, size and weight) for these bags when used as a packliner. Nylon film is not waterproof, but will keep the contents dry from splashes. Nylon is a natural water attractant and will pass vapor through in high humidity (like when it's raining). Hence, it should not be used for a packliner.

You can test this yourself: Crumple up some paper in the Nylofume bag. Immerse the contents (up to the twisted neck of the bag) in water overnight. You'll find the odor proof bag contents evenly damp (i.e., it's not from a pinhole in the bag).

I can supply both a packliner version and an odor proof version, but if one is most popular, I'd like to start there because minimum order quantity is quite large.

If OP is most popular, we can also make them smaller like 13" W x 20" H (taller to accommodate twisting to close), ~ 620 ci after twisting closed.

You can PM, reply to post or email me at info * at * litetrail [dot] com

Edited by jhaura on 05/18/2012 10:05:01 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 05/18/2012 13:22:41 MDT Print View

"I can supply these bags, but need to know which purpose is most popular because the same film can't be used for both purposes."

"Nylofume is not waterproof and should only be used for odor proof purposes."

Under water overnight is a bit rigorous.

Ice-Ax seems to think they will do OK:
"So one nylofume bag inside my MLD Exodus went 2,180 miles and it still is not punctured. I should add that while i used it to store my quilt and clothing inside my pack during the day, I also used it to store my food at night and slept on it like a pillow through out my thru hike of the AT. (Don't try this at home.. sleeping with food is only for experts or idiots like me)

"It took four garbage compactor bags to complete the PCT and 6 compactor bags on the CDT. The compactor bags would suffer tiny holes due to debris inside the pack.
Nylofume bags are more durable than garbage compactor bags."

His entire post can be found Here

[And although it might seem like it, I have no vested interest in these bags.]

Edited by greg23 on 05/18/2012 16:56:54 MDT.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 05/18/2012 16:35:55 MDT Print View

Greg, David,

I had intended to use them as a pack liner having read the post that Greg referenced. So if these bags are not really suitable for that purpose and the referenced post was a one-off, coincidence or luck, then I guess I'll bow out.
Thanks,
Susan

Edited by veganaloha on 05/18/2012 16:37:13 MDT.

Edward Barton
(edwardalbarton) - F
Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 05/18/2012 17:21:41 MDT Print View

Jhaura,

Do you know of something comparable and more water-proof to serve as a pack liner? Probably like most people, I'm looking for the lightest/most durable pack liner as well as a large odor-proof food bag, and perhaps some smaller ones as well for snacks on the trail, etc. Perhaps the mylar turkey bags? I've been thinking about contacting these people: http://www.mqplastics.com/polyester-shrink-film-cooking-bags.php

J W
(jhaura) - M

Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 05/18/2012 18:44:24 MDT Print View

I should apologize to David who started round 4 for throwing a wrench in the system. If I had the foresight, I would have posted between rounds so as not to disrupt anything. So, sorry David for my bad timing :-)

@Greg It may only take a few hours for significant moisture transfer, but for an obvious result the overnight test rules out anyone getting the wrong idea that it is a waterproof film. A few long rainy days on the trail is not uncommon on a thru-hike and I for one don't want any more moisture build up in my down gear than one already gets in those situations.

@Edward yes there is a comparable bag that is 100% waterproof that is the exact same size, weight and durability. I wouldn't use any sort of shrink film in a packliner or op sack because of the heat they are exposed to. You never know how small your bag may end up.

For now it looks like I'll just offer the Packliner version, and you guys can continue with the Nylofume for use as OP.

I'll post in the Gear Deals here at BPL section when we get them in on our website at LiteTrail.

Edited by jhaura on 05/18/2012 18:47:34 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Nylofume Bags and Water Vapor Migration on 05/19/2012 12:30:37 MDT Print View

I don't doubt that water vapor can migrate into a Nylofume (nylon) bag. But let's look at the numbers.

A 24x36 Nylofume bag, tied off 4" from the top, and assumed to take the shape of a cylinder will have about 3.4 cubic feet of volume, or about 0.10 cubic meters of volume.

One cubic meter of air at 15°C (~60°F) weighs about 1.225 kg, so 0.10 cubic meters weighs about 0.1225 kg.

In a worst case scenario of 100% relative humidity, a kilogram of air holds about 10 grams of water. So, if we start with Zero relative humidity, a bag containing 0.1225 kg of air could, possibly, gain 1.225 grams of water vapor.

However, this number will be reduced –
If you aren't using the Entire bag - all 100 liters (6000 cubic inches).
If you reduce the volume of air in the bag by filling it with stuff.
If the gear already has trapped moisture, thereby reducing the humidity differential.
If the relative humidity of the outside air falls due to daytime heating, and the bag "expires" water vapor.

And last, at the end of the day when you open the bag, IF there is a gram (0.2 teaspoons) of water vapor trapped in your gear, I'm pretty sure your body heat will cook it out.

I don't believe water vapor migration is a significant issue.

A Nylofume bag will do quite well as a pack liner, as well as an odor proof bag.

Edited by greg23 on 05/19/2012 19:35:26 MDT.

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Ordered on 05/22/2012 17:15:14 MDT Print View

Sorry for the delay, I was also waiting to see if anyone would back out.
Regardless, I have placed an order for 100 bags today.
I'll soon send out PMs

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Bags received on 05/29/2012 14:46:46 MDT Print View

Hi all, I hope everyone spent a great memorial day weekend.
I've received the bags, and I'm ready to start mailing them as soon as tomorrow once I've received addresses and payment.

PMs have been sent out.

Leonard Ingalls
(lci2000) - M

Locale: Southwest USA
five bags on 05/29/2012 19:23:56 MDT Print View

Payment sent

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Clip and Seal have arrived on 05/31/2012 14:43:39 MDT Print View

clip and seal 0.65-0.7oz
size 5.1" clamp, 6.6" rod
total cost + shipping would be $1 each added to the existing nylofume order.

Victor, Leonard (for 2), Greg and Andrew have asked for a clip.
I'm keeping at least 3 for myself, which leaves 2 more available.

Edited by davidvcd on 05/31/2012 14:46:28 MDT.

Allin Pequit
(abubooy) - F
Clip and seal on 05/31/2012 15:08:01 MDT Print View

I'll take one clip and seal if my nylofume bags haven't shipped yet..

Thanks..

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Shipping on 05/31/2012 15:13:01 MDT Print View

I have everything packaged (but not sealed) and ready to go, I am shipping them tomorrow morning.

I was waiting for a few addresses and want to make just one trip to the post office and wanted to see if anyone else was interested in the clip and seals.

Joseph Clark
(applevalleyjoe)

Locale: Mohave Desert
Nylofume on 05/31/2012 15:23:19 MDT Print View

Should you start another round, put me down for 5 odorproof. Thanks.

Amy Pukl
(amyliz) - F
Round 5 on 05/31/2012 16:42:57 MDT Print View

Line me up for a Round 5 if you do it. Thanks! :)

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Partial Shipment on 06/01/2012 15:00:29 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I've sent out all the orders without a clip and Greg's since he was kind to add an extra dollar. Some of you will be receiving it on monday according to the USPS machine...

However I was told that the clips would make the envelopes into packages since they are rigid...but that I could still send it as large envelopes and it might or might not pass. Same people at first told me that the envelopes with nylofume bags were not of uniform thickness...

Total cost would be for shipping as a package
Allin $2.63 instead of 2.1 for 5 bags and 1 clip
Leonard $2.8 instead of 2.3 for 5 bags and 2 clips
Andrew $3.48 instead of 3.1 for 10 bags and 1 clip
Victor $2.63 instead of 2.1 for 5 bags and 1 clip

So, options are
send as a package with extra cost
send as envelope
take out clip and refund

Greg Pehrson
(GregPehrson) - MLife

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
Thanks! on 06/05/2012 05:10:26 MDT Print View

My package was waiting for me when I got home last night. Looking forward to trying them out. Many thanks, David, for pulling this together and dealing with all the logistics.

Brent Mahan
(thenerb)

Locale: Southern New Hampshire
+1 on 06/05/2012 09:20:33 MDT Print View

Also got my bags yesterday. Thanks for the quick shipping and for making these available!

J W
(jhaura) - M

Re: FS: Nylofume Bags round 4 on 06/22/2012 20:15:15 MDT Print View

We've got these available on our website, a Packliner size and Odor Proof food storage size. This thread has more details:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65476

Cheers,

J

Jeremy Werlin
(jeremywerlin) - F

Locale: western Colorado
round 5 on 06/23/2012 08:28:49 MDT Print View

I'm in if it goes down.