Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Flash 30 weight reduction in progress
Display Avatars Sort By:
bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Flash 30 weight reduction in progress on 05/15/2012 11:25:04 MDT Print View

I started this project a couple weeks ago, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63863

Since then my Z-packs and DIY Gear Supply orders arrived. Ive removed all that will be removed and the re-constuction is on going. Im replacing the front panel and extension collar with taller lighter (1.1 oz sil) ones and adding a front mesh pocket. I also replaced the huge 1 1/2 hip belt and laughably small hip belt pockets with a removable 3/4 inch hip belt.

The weight is coming in at 10.1 ounces, though I expect to add roughly another 3 oz before Im done. The pack weighed 24 oz when I started.

No front panelFront panel and meshfront panel with loopsAlmost done Flash 30

Robert Dusing
(morob325) - F

Locale: texas
custom flash 30 on 05/17/2012 16:46:15 MDT Print View

That's a nice looking pack. I had always liked the shape of that model, but ended of snaggin a ion when they were still around as a pack to customize. Post some pictures of it packed when it's finished.

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
Re: custom flash 30 on 05/17/2012 21:02:30 MDT Print View

You know I just picked up a Flash 50 here recently to replace my Aether 60. I really like the Flash as is. Though I would like to have Osprey's stretch pocket on the Flash rather than the flap attached by the compression straps. How's your progress so far on this overhaul??

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Straps on 05/17/2012 21:08:14 MDT Print View

Looks very good Bruce. Are you changing the straps at all? I'd be inclined to leave them as is unless you have a good reason to change them. I carried a Flash 30 around all summer as a day pack and thought the shoulder straps were really nice.

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Re: Straps on 05/19/2012 06:23:18 MDT Print View

The straps on the 30 have been fine for me so I dont plan to change them. In fact I may use them as a reference if I ever get around to making a pack.