Forum Index » Gear Deals » Fosters Pot Cook Sets - The All In One SUL Cook Kit!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Fosters Pot Cook Sets - The All In One SUL Cook Kit! on 05/13/2012 23:21:53 MDT Print View

Hello Everyone,
I have put together a batch of Fosters pot cook sets to help aid with college tuition. This is a limited run as I have run out of materials for the time being and I'm not sure if my sources will be reliable in the coming months.
These kits are great, I use one myself on all of my backpacking excursions. I find this to be great for myself and I have even successfully used the kit as the only source of boiling water for two people. After doing many DIY test runs to perfect the art and balance of convenience and stellar weight savings, I think I have done pretty well with these.

The price for the whole kit is $35 shipped to the ConUS. If you live outside the ConUS just send me a PM with your address and I'll calculate shipping for you.

Without further ado, here are some videos and information about the sets!!

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wibtVV6yfjg
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOf_CK-HTo

Fosters Pot Cook Sets Include:
-Fosters Pot (20oz MAX Capacity)
-Wind Screen
-Stove (1oz MAX Capacity)
-Container/Mug/Bowl/Cup Measure

Facts about the kits:
-The whole kit weighs 3oz!!!
-The stove holds 1oz of fuel and the cap can be used to extinguish the flame
-The kit boils 2 cups of water in 6-8 minutes and hold up to 20oz of water
-One side of the Windscreen has reduced vents for extra wind protection
-The Container can be used as a mug/bowl and the lid can be used as a mug/bowl/cup measure
-The Container improves crush resistance and thoroughly protects the fragile Fosters can

Lastly,
Thank you BPL Community for giving me the chance to do this. I aspire to come out with more designs and innovations in the future. I have just purchased a sewing machine so who knows what will happen next! ;)
Keep it Classy Backpackers!
-Daniel

Neil McGee
(thegreatclod) - F

Locale: Northeast, East Asia
Nifty on 05/14/2012 07:12:01 MDT Print View

Daniel,
A nifty design. Any chance you can upload a vid of the cook set in action?
N

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Cookset In Action on 05/14/2012 11:39:33 MDT Print View

Neil,
I'll do that today and hopefully have it up by tonight.
Thanks!
Dan

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Cookset In Action on 05/20/2012 02:06:13 MDT Print View

Daniel,

Great videos. This looks like a very good set up. A few questions.

What is the container made of? I presume I can pour boiling water into it to mix food, etc. wihtout it deteriorating over time , ie warping, yes or no?

Also, what is the capacity of the bottom part of the container? Is that part 20 oz by itself or does the 20 oz refer to the total capcity of the bottom and lid combined?

How do you handle the "pot" portion? I'm sure it gets very hot, but has no handles and the sides are very slick due to the shiny paint. Not sure I'd only want my bandanna between my fingers and the pot when it's filled with boiling water.

Lastly, how stable is the blue set up with the windscreen on top of the stove rather than around it? it looks like the pot part could easily topple over.

Thanks,

Susan

Edited by veganaloha on 05/20/2012 02:10:43 MDT.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

The wrap on 05/22/2012 11:30:46 MDT Print View

Hello,
I plan on doing new videos to demonstrate my kits being used just for an FYI. I want to get that done today so I will post a new thread once I have done so. Also, I have revamped the setup just a little bit. The pots now hold 1oz less of water (19oz total) to include a prototype lid that I have been working on. The lid is made of aluminum and is very very light.

Susan,
To address your questions:
1)Pot Container- The container is made of High Density Polyethylene. Please read my thread about this material - it should answer all of your questions, but in short... boiling water is just fine inside HDPE. No it will not warp and food stuff is fine to put in it. It is, after all, a food grade container. :P

Here is the thread:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=61812

2)Container - I am not sure how much the bottom container holds, I will check into that and let you know. The 20oz refers to the amount the fosters pot can hold (which will be 19oz from now on (as mentioned above). I had not accounted for the container.

3)Handling- Personally, I use some little burn proof fingertips, one on the index, middle finger and one on the thumb, that I cut from larger gloves (to save weight of course). They are not "safe," but very manageable if one is careful enough. Unfortunately there is no way, that I could think of, to handle this pot without some sort of glove/flame retardant between it and your hand.

4)Small Windscreen - Part of my revamping (as mentioned above) was to get rid of the smaller windscreen entirely. I assembled it wrong in the video (I should not have put the lid for the stove on the bottom like I did) and that is why it looks like it is about to fall over. It would not be this way if the lid had not been on the bottom (it works just fine). I will demonstrate how to properly apply the small windscreen in my new video. There is nothing wrong with the smaller windscreen, but nobody has wanted one so I'm going by demand here! :)

Hope this answers all of your questions.
Neil- I'm still going to post videos of usage. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks,
Daniel