Forum Index » GEAR » Hilleberg Tent thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
r.e. Enan specs... on 08/17/2014 20:26:01 MDT Print View

Thanks Ken,

Hilleberg says it's for "... your snow-free adventures." I think it can work in snow too.

Nice relatively (compared to Akto) light weight.

Now to put a Tarptent Moment DW X-ing pole inside the fly for snow camping... ;o)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: r.e. Enan specs... on 08/21/2014 20:41:29 MDT Print View

I was speaking to Hilleberg a few days ago with a question on my Anjan and they mentioned the Enan is due out in March\April, I was told it will have the same footprint as the Atko.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Enan & Akto W/same footprint?? on 08/22/2014 17:40:55 MDT Print View

The Akto is much wider at each end than the Enan. How could the footprints be the same?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Enan & Akto W/same footprint?? on 08/22/2014 17:41:45 MDT Print View

That's what Shannon at Hilleberg said to me the other day.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Enan & Akto W/same footprint?? on 08/22/2014 17:48:38 MDT Print View

I would be interested in it if it was the same size as the Atko, any smaller and I would not be so sure.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Jannu on 08/23/2014 01:33:58 MDT Print View

It's fun to see this thread continuing. My newest addition to my addiction (see what I did there? :-D ) is a Jannu. I actually motorcycle camped last night and took my trusty Tarra, and took some REALLY fun night photos with it all lit up. Only to promptly delete them on accident when I was downloading the photos to my computer. :(

I'll have both the Tarra and Jannu with me at a SAR training the first week of September, and then the Jannu will likely come as my solo backpacking trip in the Sierra the following week. Talk about overkill...hehe but still fun.

Here is my new Jannu on her maiden voyage, a motorcycle trip a few weeks ago in Oregon. I've got to say, I REALLY like the "sand" color. It's really more of a nice bronze color. I find it much cheerier than the green Hillebergs I've had and not as in your face as the reds:

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Jannu on 08/23/2014 07:40:20 MDT Print View

Hi Doug,

Thats a beast of a tent for solo trips.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by stephenm on 08/23/2014 07:51:06 MDT.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Re: Re: Jannu on 08/23/2014 11:55:17 MDT Print View

Howdy Stephen, it sure is hahaha.

I'm trying very hard not to convince myself that I "need" a sand colored Unna. I tried the Unna briefly before replacing it with the Soulo. The truth is, for a solo person, I think I agree with Ken, who likes the Unna better. You actually get more living space (though a smaller vestibule), and simpler design and lighter weight. It just makes more sense for backpacking. Now that said, the Soulo does look way cooler (haha sorry Unna fans).

But alas, I don't think I'll have the funds together before my trip, so the Jannu will be joining me as the overkill machine. ;-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Jannu on 08/23/2014 12:29:24 MDT Print View

Hi Doug,

I think I mentions far back in the thread I swapped out my Soulo
for an Unna, even though I have it a year I have not used it yet
as all my winter trips I used either the Kaitum 3 or Golite Sl3.
My buddies own crap tents so we always end up using mine.

The Unna really deserves a few trips this winter.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Anjan 2 solo on 08/23/2014 13:17:09 MDT Print View

Has anyone used the Anjan 2 solo?

Brian Reyman
(breyman) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Anjan 2 solo on 08/26/2014 15:00:57 MDT Print View

I often use the Anjan 2 for solo trips. It's certainly heavier than many other options, but I reduced my kit some and kept that as it works for solo and when I go with my wife. It's the typical story as with most 2 man tents - works for two people that are cozy - is a palace for 1.

It's the second lightest tent in Hilleberg's lineup - Akto is just a bit lighter, but the Anjan is MUCH roomier with more interior, more height (in the right places - like the head end) and in the vestibule.

Now, the Enan does look very tempting as the decreased space may be worth a 1.5 pound drop in weight from the Anjan.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Anjan 2 solo on 08/26/2014 15:13:44 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.

I am also interested in the Enan, I will probaly
hold off a while until it gets some testing from Bpl folk.

My days of early adoption are well over.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Re: Jannu on 09/02/2014 21:33:47 MDT Print View

Those are going to be way heavy for SAR work in Central California, unless you're OES Type-1 AND deployed MA into a multi-day in the Sierras at high elevation in winter ... and even then it's iffy. =)

Most SAR op-periods are 8 hours and then you're back at the CP. Being out overnight is a rarity to begin with. You're going to want to move fast and light. Your (very rare) overnights will be accidental and those tents are a ton of weight to be humping every day "just in case." Type-1 will get you more overnights but in much tougher terrain and with more exertion. Again, fast and light - bivvies/tarps mostly. I humped an SL3 (fly-only) on our last one, (we shoved three people into it (and I'm 6'6" ... =) but that's a rarity.

Hope to see you in the field! =)

-Mike
Santa Clara County SAR

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Re: Re: Jannu on 09/03/2014 00:12:43 MDT Print View

Hi Mike, it's a small world. I've probably run into you on mutual aid calls over the years. I've been on Santa Cruz SO SAR for the past 16 years (13 of which have been as a Deputy), and a patrol K9 handler for the past 4 years. :)

I totally agree about the Hille's being overkill for SAR missions, I like them in a base camp role, such as at SAREX this coming weekend. I like their longevity, but agree that they are a lot of tent for our local conditions. The primary reasons I'm bringing them to SAREX is that they are fun, and they are also the only tents I own. Hahaha...sort of reduces the options.

Swing by the green and tan Hillebergs at SAREX this weekend in Napa and say, "Hi". :-D

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Anjan 2 specs on 09/06/2014 09:29:44 MDT Print View

I was asked on another thread to post the specs of the Anjan 2.

Tent in Bag 1799g(with tags removed)
Tent bag 37g
Pegs 100g
Peg bag 8g
Poles. 318g
Pole bag with spare pole 50g
Inner 612g
Outer 676g

Poles 17 inch long.

Packed size 21 by 8.

Jonathan Hanson
(JonathanHanson) - M
Staika and Soulo on 09/06/2014 12:06:22 MDT Print View

I own two Hilleberg tents, a Staika and a Soulo (although the Soulo is probably going away—too many tents), and I've reviewed several more for various magazines. I've found them to be right at the pinnacle of modern tent design and construction. In particular their silicone-impregnated fly material is hugely superior to polyurethane-coated flies, and justifies much of the extra cost.

I had the Soulo pitched on a ledge on the North Rim of Marble Canyon a couple of years ago, during a really weird windstorm that kept changing directions every few minutes. The Soulo was rock-solid no matter which way it was being pummelled. The extra guylines can sometimes be annoyingly in the way when pitching, but it's sure nice to have them.Soulo on North Rim

Edited by JonathanHanson on 09/06/2014 13:06:50 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Nammatjs replacement. on 09/06/2014 20:13:23 MDT Print View

The Nammatjs replacement arrived today. It will be mainly for winter trips when a crap load of snow is forecast or above treeline and canoe camping.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Re: Nammatjs replacement. on 09/07/2014 11:28:20 MDT Print View

Congrats on the Tarra Stephen, you're going to love it! One of my buddies is using mine as I type this. Its a phenomenal tent.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Nammatjs replacement. on 09/07/2014 11:32:13 MDT Print View

Cheers Doug,

Roll on winter.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

ENAN owners?? on 09/07/2014 19:52:22 MDT Print View

Does anyone here on BPL actually OWN an ENAN? I'd love to see photos when this happens.