Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hilleberg Tent thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Akto W/ "crossing pole" on 07/12/2013 20:36:06 MDT Print View

If I can rig a crossing pole inside my Moment why can't a crossing pole be rigged inside a Hilleberg Akto in the same manner?

And since I'm getting a Moment DW (as soon as the ripstop inner is available) and modding it for winter with the aforementioned inside crossing pole and a hearvier duty main hoop pole why can't that be done to an Akto as well?

All you Akto owners may want to give this some thought for a true winter worthy tent.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Akto W/ "crossing pole" on 07/12/2013 20:46:16 MDT Print View

Eric,

How dare you even mention modding a Hilleberg.

Please go back to your desk and write out.

"I will not dream of modding a Hilleberg"

:-)

Edited by stephenm on 07/12/2013 20:46:55 MDT.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Locale: Northern Utah
Modifying an Akto? on 07/12/2013 23:42:37 MDT Print View

"If I can rig a crossing pole inside my Moment why can't a crossing pole be rigged inside a Hilleberg Akto in the same manner?"

I suppose you could do this, but I think that is why they designed the Soulo model.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Re: Akto W/ "crossing pole" on 07/13/2013 09:55:44 MDT Print View

there are scads of different ways to change the rigging of an akto. if you follow Roger C. he will lead thee into thinking about all manner of cross-rigged options.
the reality of the situation is that as it comes out of the box, the end rigging is set in a way that relies upon "somehow" holding down the lower corners. how this is done with rock anchors i may never know.
you can double up and splay the side guys (thank you Roger C.), and this greatly stiffens the pole support it gets from the fabric.
one might (will do it next spring) add a pair of adjustable tapes across the interior for those really nasty nights.
the end rigging is a complex thing unless you add a third (and unwanted) anchor point per end.

my standard set is the 4 corners. if you are a moment DW owner, you know that is 2 many.
if it's breezy, then it needs at least one side guy. now at 5.
more breeze = 6.
way outt'a hand = now 6 + the 2 side splayed lines + the another 1 at each end, and now we are at TEN !!!
that is 10 large heavy stacks of rocks. no need for a sleeping bag, i'll just stay warm all night moving granite.
my god, by the time you're done, a man could have staked a tarp !

planning a u-tube vid on akto rigging.

v.

Johan Engberg
(luffarjohan) - M

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime
akto-rigging on 07/13/2013 11:28:45 MDT Print View

I agree that Akto has one too many mandatory rigging points. It's not easy to pitch properly. Remember though that with fewer stakes comes a greater need to stake in good ground and/or reinforce with stones since each stake have to take a higher force. Above tree-line where Hilleberg has it's main focus a ****-load of guy-outs is something I like. Each Point won't take all the pressure and therefor there's less risk of a stake to be pulled out during a gust. Quite a few tents out there like to point out that it only has 4 or 5 stakes. Problem is that they can only use 4 or 5 stakes... My Jannu has 18.

It weighs in that region aswell though, I prefer lighter choices 90% of the time, 60% of the time. But for shoulder season, winter above tree line it's my bunker.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Snow loads: Akto v.s. Moment on 07/13/2013 14:16:42 MDT Print View

(With apologies to Stephen and Hilleberg)

The design differences between the Akto and Moment account for very different abilities for each tent to shed heavy, wet snow.

The Akto has wide ends and consequently wide, and flatter canopy areas to hold snow.

The Moment has narrow AND peaked ends terminating with the strong shape of triangles. Its canopy goes from arched to pointed and snow more readily slides off.

Also it is easy to use just one crossing pole to support the Moment's canopy.
For the Akto I'd rather have TWO crossing poles as with the Scarp 1. (Of course, being an inveterate modder, I'd run them beneath the fly to grommets in each inside corner.)

CONCLUSION: The Akto can be made "Unna strong" by using TWO diagonal internal crossing poles (exactly as I did with my modded Scarp 2).
The Moment needs only one crossing pole to achieve the same effect.

Both tents need a stronger (thicker wall, larger diameter) main hoop pole for winter wind and snow loads. Tentpole Technologies can make 'em for you. About $40.

Edited by Danepacker on 07/13/2013 14:21:00 MDT.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Snow loads: Akto v.s. Moment on 07/13/2013 14:53:33 MDT Print View

" The Akto can be made "Unna strong" by using TWO diagonal internal crossing poles "

peter is look'n at this as using tapes (straps, lines, etc) in tension. the pole in my sketches should be restrained from failing sideways by the windward splayed side guy lines. the internal tension lines are intended to keep the leeward side of the pole from failing by bulging outward.
i guess that inside poles would work in compression as well, and that might help, but you'd need to bring them all the way to ground for them to push against something. that would really cramp the internal volume, which that still beats 100% blowing out a tent.
but does it not seem that tension costs less weight ?

will post pics when i make something worth seeing.

v.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Snow loads: Akto v.s. Moment on 07/13/2013 14:56:27 MDT Print View

I forgive you Eric :-)

Johan Engberg
(luffarjohan) - M

Locale: Wrong place at the right rime
Thread drift on 07/14/2013 00:18:04 MDT Print View

I like that modification of your TT Moment Eric. I wonder if it could be done to a Laser Comp? I'll think I'll give it a try. I like that tent but it's way too flappy in serious wind.

Question, if one would modify his/her double walled tent by adding an internal pole, how to make it easy to set up? What I mean is since the fly and the inner goes up at the same time the lazy solution (Construction wise) is to simply hook off the inner and insert the crossing pole. But I wonder if there's another way? External pole-sleeve with a "dent" making the pole a V-shape. Maybe external hooks is easier?

By the way, thicker poles can be bought directly from Hilleberg.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

"lazy" inner pole setup on 07/14/2013 00:43:12 MDT Print View

Johan,

1.-> I leave my Scarp 2 iner attatched to the fly one ONE side at the corners. door area and at the top.

2.-> Then I set up the tent with the main hoop pole and corner stakes.

3.-> Next I go inside the fly and place the two crossing poles (the inner tent hangs from the opposite side giving me room to do this).

4.-> Finally I re-attatch the rest of the inner tent.

5.-> If heavy snow or wind is forecast I then add extra guy lines and stakes or snow deadmen.
REALLY high winds require fly bottom stakes, main hoop guy lines and at each end ski/hiking poles as struts for guying out the center of the fly guy points. (Again, see Tarptent online catalog photos of this.) This is a "belt-and-suspenders" solution because some of the guys may pull their stakes in a bad storm.

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Back and forth! on 07/19/2013 21:51:12 MDT Print View

I sent back the Unna and ordered a Rajd. I opened the Rajd and realized I need something idiot proof.

I ordered the Unna again. Shannon at Hilleberg has been a great help. She knows the tents...and uses them. She has been SO patient! I am getting a Sand (Shannon says it's a bronze) colored Unna this time. It isn't on the Hilleberg site. Some retailers have it. And sometimes Hilleberg seems to find a few. I can't wait to post photos of my Unna in the Alps and Pyrenees. Now to find a way to shed 1.5 lbs elsewhere!

Thanks again for this thread!

Bob Dromgoole
(lowebyrrd)
Interview with Petra Hilleberg on 08/19/2013 13:39:55 MDT Print View

Came across this today...

http://podbay.fm/show/618500240/e/1161907901?autostart=1

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Bivanorak on 08/22/2013 21:25:41 MDT Print View

Bivanorak...
I like it, it has been used mostly as a bivy, but I have worn it in wet/windy conditions and it holds up well.
It makes the sleeping bag much warmer, and I don't need to worry about moisture so much, or bring a groundsheet.

B

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Kaitum 3 on 11/04/2013 18:16:51 MST Print View

I had my Kaitum 3 out again two weeks bringing my wife on her 1st backpacking trip, this is about my 5th or 6th trip in the Kaitum and I like it more every trip, split between 2 the weight is ok but split between 3 its an easy carry.

I have not had a chance to use my new Unna yet (bought to replace a Soulo) but hope to do so soon.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Hilleberg love on 01/05/2014 20:27:46 MST Print View

Keeping the thread alive :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Hilleberg love on 01/05/2014 20:53:17 MST Print View

Had a request to bring the Unna to the GGG. So I will. Was going to anyway.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Hilleberg on 01/06/2014 05:43:40 MST Print View

its the perfect solo tent for this time of year Ken.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
My new Soulo on 01/06/2014 19:43:41 MST Print View

My new Soulo in Joshua Tree National Park. I generally only use single wall tents, but I made an exception here. It's a fantastic tent that's beautifully designed and constructed. The Kerlon fabric is wild stuff.

Soulo in J-Tree

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Custom inners on 01/08/2014 09:10:10 MST Print View

Folks,

Has anyone toyed with the idea of getting a custom inne made up for a Hillbeeg, the reason I ask is I came across this one for the Unna from oookworks

http://oookworks.com/OookBlog/?p=77

stephen billings
(stephenb) - MLife

Locale: oregon
Custom Inners on 01/08/2014 12:04:55 MST Print View

Stephen M,

I also answered your other ? concerning a solid Unna inner in a SL 5 in the Winter mid thread in the Winter hiking section.

Although I do not have a Unna fly or frame anymore ( only a Unna solid inner), I do know you can make a MLD solo net work in an Unna real easy. Just hang the top loop of the MLD nest and then attach the bottom stake points on the nest to connection points in the Unna. And then attach the side loop point on the nest to a connection point on the Unna. Works easy- basically the MLD solo nest is just a big peaked bug bivy.

Edited by stephenb on 01/08/2014 12:16:24 MST.