Forum Index » GEAR » Hilleberg Tent thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Locale: Nebraska
Kaitum Weights on 03/10/2013 15:28:40 MDT Print View

I took the time to weigh all the components of my Kaitum 3 this afternoon. I thought I would post them incase anyone was interested. I always like to see this type of breakdown before I buy a tent so here it is:

Note: All weights were rounded up to the nearest oz.

Inner: 2 lbs 6 oz
Outer: 2 lbs 12oz
Stakes in sack: 8oz
Poles (no sack) 1 lb 2oz
Extra pole section and splicer: 1oz
Guylines: 6oz
Footprint: 1 lb 6 oz

Ben

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Kaitum 3 on 03/10/2013 19:54:35 MDT Print View

Ben - Your measurements are close enough to be identical with my K3. Total packed weight, excluding the footprint, is 7lb 3oz. I've yet to take the footprint out with me, as the floor is pretty robust, but if I expect high humidity from constant rainfall or spring snow, then I have it in reserve to help moderate the condensation inside the tent.

How'd you like the K3 so far?

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

Kaitum on 03/10/2013 20:14:37 MDT Print View

So far I really like it. It has withstood some serious conditions in my basement. I actually have not had a chance to take it out in the wild yet, but I can't wait to get it some use. I haven't seen a tent build this robust, and I am sure it could handle any weather that I would take it out in. I am hoping to use it above treeline in CO ans WY. I always seem to find awesome camping spots on ridgetops or by some lake above the trees, but I have never used a shelter I felt comfortable in at those locations.

Have you used your's in severe conditions at all?

Ben

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Kaitum testing on 03/10/2013 21:54:12 MDT Print View

Let me guess, you fired up the hairdryer and let 'er rip :-) The Kaitum's arguably better suited to above treeline use than below, given its large footprint. After I left it at home and suffered with lesser shelters on two wildly windy trips in the Rockies last May and June, I took it out on a group trip at the end of September. Both nights we pitched at about 11,000ft, close to treeline. We expected decent snowfall but it didn't happen. And we barely got a puff of wind once we got off the continental divide. I bought it as more of a winter basecamp tent, but this year has been a bust so far due to work travel. I'm looking forward to taking it out in late April or May and will report back. There should still be some good snows on the ground at higher elevations, and the wind will be a solid test.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Kaitum on 04/15/2013 12:15:34 MDT Print View

This was taken two weeks ago on the Manistee River Trial in Michigan.

There was about a foot of snow on the ground which was totally unexpected. As we did no have skis or snowshoes or a shovel stomping out a pitch was a bit of a faff.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Soulo Photos on 04/21/2013 14:34:59 MDT Print View

Here are some pictures taken on a trip last April in Ireland.
Also shown is an Atko, Tarp Tent Scarp 1 and Terra Nova Superlite Voyager.

Edited by stephenm on 04/21/2013 14:36:45 MDT.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman) - M

scarp on 04/21/2013 19:43:35 MDT Print View

Stephen, how do you think the scarp one held up next to the Hillebergs?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: scarp on 04/21/2013 19:58:09 MDT Print View

Ben,

I have used a Scarp in some hairy conditions and it performed very well but the Soulo performs much better than it.

I am just in the door from the pub and Will give a more indepth reply tomorrow.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Soulo Pole cover issue on 04/24/2013 06:28:46 MDT Print View

I was pitching the Soulo in the garden on Sunday and noticed a small hole and abrasion on the pole and vent cover. The tent was a display model and I have only used it for 3 nights on it.

Hilleberg are repairing it.

Jon Solomon
(areality) - F - MLife

Locale: Lyon/Taipei
Aftermarket poles on 05/01/2013 03:55:01 MDT Print View

I am sure this has almost certainly been linked here, but just in case it has slipped out of people's minds: http://www.fliegfix.com/kategorien/optimierte-zeltgestaenge/154 Fliegfix offer aftermarket poles for Hilleberg tents (and others) in carbon fibre and scandium. Soulos, Unnas, Nallos...they could all benefit from different combos of these poles.

I'm using them with a Soulo. I have both carbon and Scandium ones. I also have and like very much the carbon ones for use with the Rab Latok Lite/ID MK1. Carbon poles are stronger than similar diameter alloy poles (though perhaps more prone to catastrophic failure, right?!) and they don't attract condensation inside tents the way alloy ones do.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Ordered an Unna on 06/15/2013 14:30:11 MDT Print View

Just ordered an Unna to replace my Soulo.

I ordered it from Bear River outfitters who is owned by Charles Jennings who posts on here :-)

Outstanding service from Charles.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Ordered an Unna on 06/15/2013 20:03:14 MDT Print View

Yup, I always recommend Charlie (purchased from him a three times, twice Hilleberg).

Fantastic buying experience.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Ordered an Unna on 06/15/2013 20:51:51 MDT Print View

What started as a Pm last night asking his advice ended up with me purchasing the Unna :-)

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Re: Re: Re: Ordered an Unna on 06/26/2013 22:30:55 MDT Print View

Me too!

They were out of the new tan :( I ordered a red one.

What conditions will you use it in? How are you justifying the weight? I am not a gram weenie...but it's gonna be an extra kilo.

I got great service from shannon at hilleberg. You get a couple weeks (or even longer I was told if necessary) to play around with it inside and send it back if you change your mind.

Wish there was something out there of similar design of lighter materials. I have always wanted a tent with no vestibule!

Help me justify the weight ;) I want this tent!

And thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread! The photos are awesome.

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/26/2013 22:31:38 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Ordered an Unna on 06/26/2013 22:38:52 MDT Print View

Congrats! Sure it is not the lightest tent out there. It's no tarp. Tarps are great for the times you don't need a tent. The other trips I'll take the hit on weight and stay warm, dry, and stress free in my rock of a shelter. 60mph winds. Slept the sleep of the dead. And when staked out you do actually get a small amount of vestibule space. Scoot the inner back a bit, I've cooked in there. Plenty of room in between the inner and outer for shoes anywhere along the perimeter. Without the inner it is positively huge in there.

Donald Browning
(docdb) - M

Locale: SE USA
I love Hillebergs, too on 06/27/2013 11:42:00 MDT Print View

I have a Unna on order, along with a mesh inner. I got a 20% off coupon from prolitegear and had to jump. I love the Hillebergs for bombproof simplicity, and I have a Soulo, but have always wanted a Unna to compare. I will likely sell the one that I decide against. Also have had a Jannu and Allak for comparison, and ended up keeping the Allak for the two person trips.
Don

Hart -
(backpackerchick) - MLife

Locale: Planet Earth
Unna came today; Any thought on Rajd on 06/28/2013 23:52:24 MDT Print View

It only took one day to get to SoCal FedEx ground. I ordered from Hillebrand. They were out of the Sand color so I got red. It seems like the red is a bit brighter than other Hillebrands I've seen on the trail. Shannon at Hillebrand told me that the sand color is darker this year. Sand was not available at the time I ordered. I may check back before I take my Unna outside. The red is nice though.

I set it up indoors. It is SPACIOUS! The simplicity of the design and set up is awesome. 2 minutes max on the first try...allow another 2 minutes for staking probably. No vestibule to struggle in and out of. This would be the perfect starter tent!

4.5 lbs...still struggling with that. There are clearly some mods that could be made to lighten it. (There is a thread somewhere covering this.)

I agree with the manufacturer's description in that this could double as a 2 person tent in a pinch. Most certainly a "one and a mutt" even for a bigger person and a good size "mutt".

Any thoughts about or experience with the Rajd. Clearly, a different class of tent for a different use. Looks more idiot proof than other tents in that class!

Photos to come...soon.

Thanks again for this thread and the inspiring photos (especially those by Jedi5150)!

Edited by backpackerchick on 06/29/2013 00:06:02 MDT.

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Unna came today; Any thought on Rajd on 06/29/2013 09:11:32 MDT Print View

Unna : wonderful accommodations. simply palatial.
kind'a big. kind'a heavy. kind'a has two EXtremely long poles.
but .. for a place to live in for days, while it's raining .. ohhh dear, it is sweet.

they are very nice inside. dry, spacious, open, and warm.
i installed a large window in mine (was long ago), and that made it more open visually and vented.

cheersUnna with window

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Unna came today on 06/29/2013 09:20:48 MDT Print View

Radj? Get a Lunar Duo. Gain two vestibules.

"4.5 lbs...still struggling with that"

I just think of the weight difference between it and my other shelters. So it's only a pound or so heavier. Big deal. Everything else is so light. Added warmth from the tent allows you to go slightly lighter on sleep gear.

Those long poles. You can feed them in and out in sections of assembled pole so you don't need ten feet of swinging room behind you to pitch.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Kaitum 3 on 06/30/2013 16:57:36 MDT Print View

Just back from a quick overnighter with two buddies and we used the Kaitum 3, night time temps where about 55f and we slept with the doors wide open and just the mesh inner door closed, it was nice and comfy.

One of my buddies did complain when I got out for a power room break but as its my tent I told him where to shove it :-)