Forum Index » GEAR » Hilleberg Tent thread

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: The Anjan 2 and 3 on 02/25/2013 19:57:48 MST Print View

Shorter poles and thinner fabric along with small interiors make the Anjans lighter. The two person is about the same size, but smaller inside than the Unna. The Unna is also 4 season rated.

Edited by kthompson on 02/25/2013 22:27:40 MST.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Re: Re: Hilleberg Anjan Use in the Winds on 02/26/2013 00:38:45 MST Print View

Dave, you're not the only one who misses your Nammatj. I had the Nammatj 2 (the sand colored tent on the second or third page of this thread), for only a very short time. I quickly realized that staking was a pain in the butt, and traded the nammatj back in because of it.

That was a real mistake. The Nammatj 2 has a TON of room for a 2 person, bombproof tent. And as for staking, sure, it can be a pain, but there is always a way to make it work. I really wish I'd given the Nammatj more of a chance, I kind of feel like a moron for trading it in. But on the other hand, if you don't care about weight, my Tarra and Saitaris are outstanding tents, they just aren't suited for backpacking, unless the weight is well split up.

A big +1 to what Charles said about the sloping back wall of some Hillebergs. I read tons of horror stories about the Nallo and Nammatj back wall sloping and lack of room because of it. Like Charles, I actually prefered to sleep (and it worked just fine), with my head at the sloped end of the Nammatj. Even the 2 man was plenty big enough for me to do it without a problem.

Now I'm looking at a 1 or 2 man Hille to have as a summer-time solo, or solo+dog backpacking tent. I ahve a couple I'm considering, mainly because I love the Hilleberg's strength for using with a dog. Besides, these tents are like crack. hahahaha It's like a super expensive stamp collection. :P

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Nammatj on 02/26/2013 05:57:23 MST Print View

Doug,

I had a crawl around in a Nammajt 2 in a shop in Boulder last summer and really like it, in the end I purchased a Kaitum 3 instead (got a great deal on Gear swap), its a perfect tent for 3 people for a few days and an absolute place for 2, the 3 pole spans make if fairly stong also.

What tents are you considering for summer solo? The Unna with a mesh inner would be a nice option, allowing bug free space for your dog.
As mentioned realiser I use a Soulo but for summer I have a Tarp Tent Stratosphire 1, I did look at the Anjan 2 for both solo trips and for trips with the wife buy decided against it.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Super-expensive stamp collection on 02/26/2013 07:22:47 MST Print View

Ha! I like that, Doug. Given Hilleberg's propensity to increase prices ~10% annually over the long haul you may be right. And the 'bergs will be a dang sight more durable in the rain... Not quite as compact, and nowhere as easy to admire from within your apartment, however.

On the advice of NWHiker, who sold me my first 'berg, I almost picked up a Nammatj 3GT for its incredible vestibule and mesh-covered vents and door. I tried a Nallo 3GT for its lighter weight, but it didn't gel with me, due to the sloping roof. I did love the way you could roll back the end of the GT vestibule to create a covered porch, though.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Super-expensive stamp collection on 02/26/2013 08:52:02 MST Print View

They definitely are a super expensive stamp collection but cheap compared to the toys I see guys at work buying (and hardly ever using)

Edited by stephenm on 02/26/2013 08:53:14 MST.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Toys on 02/26/2013 09:24:47 MST Print View

Which population control toys would you be referring to, Stephen? Motorcycles or the other, unmentionable ones that would get this thread booted over to Chaff faster than a speeding bullet?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Toys on 02/26/2013 09:35:27 MST Print View

Guns or motorbikes had not even crossed my mind Stuart, I was thinking of Jet skis, canoes, sailing boats, snow mobiles and the rest.

Donald Browning
(docdb) - M

Locale: SE USA
Hilleberg on 02/26/2013 19:04:56 MST Print View

I've had a tough night out in a sleet storm in an Akto, and ended up selling it. I absolutely love my Soulo for trips that I take with Sully my Belgian Sheepdog. When my daughter comes along, the Allak gets the nod (traded away a Jannu for that, and my daughter still sobs over losing "Big Red"). Have a new Nammatj 2GT that I've used a couple of times and really love the room in bad weather. I also use cuben tarps, and several types of hammocks.......half the fun is planning the gear for the trip.
Hille's rock,
Don

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Any regrets trading the Jannu? on 02/26/2013 19:07:07 MST Print View

Hi Don, I've never seen a Jannu up close and personal. Any regrets trading that for the Allak?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Hilleberg on 02/26/2013 19:19:40 MST Print View

Hi Don,

Do you think that the Allak is as strong as the Soulo?
I would love to hear your views.

Cheers,

Stephen

Ryan McCabe
(3Tree) - MLife
unna on 02/26/2013 22:30:41 MST Print View

Ken, or anyone else,

How is the Unna for multiple days in the rain??
Is entering or exiting an issue without a vestible? Is there a way to keep a flap open for ventilation or even views without the rain getting in?

Thanks for any insights, and sorry if I missed mention of this earlier in the post.
Any other comments appreciated,
Ryan

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Anjan ... bad review on 02/27/2013 13:39:11 MST Print View

Here is a thread about the Anjan:
http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/124226.html

This is a link to a poor review:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hilleberg/anjan-2/#review25589

To summarize, the reviewer said the fly rides up way too high on the sides and in heavy rain the water can splash up and get into the tent. Does anyone here have any experience with this?
I thought I had my mind made up on the Anjan, but now I don't know, I don't want to spend a load of cash on a tent that under-performs. A tent that won't keep you dry during heavy rain is not much use, rain is what I need it for.

The Atko looks too cramped to sit out a bad day... most of the other models seem too heavy.
I wish I could just buy the fly and poles for the Nallo... then I'd be able to carry an acceptable load and ride out the worst weather.

Edited by NLslacker on 02/27/2013 15:54:50 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Anjan ... bad review on 02/27/2013 13:45:38 MST Print View

"I wish I could just buy the fly and poles for the Nallo... then I'd be able to carry an acceptable load and ride out the worst weather."

You can do that with a Trailstar, as many have done. And it would be lighter.

As far as the Nallo, while you can't buy it separately, you can set it up with just the fly and poles if you wish, but you probably already knew that.

Anna T
(anzt)

Locale: Victoria, Australia
Unna vestibule? on 03/04/2013 15:35:56 MST Print View

Hi all. I'm looking at buying a Soulo or an Unna for a winter tent (I've got a Tarptent Moment and a Lightheart Gear Cuben Solo w/ Awning for the other seasons). I was hoping you'd help me choose.

I'm a 5'6" woman, and I prefer having my gear in the tent with me and not feeling too cramped. For this reason, I'm tending towards the Unna. However, I have two hesitations/questions:

1) Does anyone have experience cooking in the 'virtual' vestible some have claimed can be made by pulling back the inner? How does this work? Does it work well/safely and with sufficient ventilation? Does anyone have a picture of this?

2) Is the tent sufficiently storm-worthy for Australian and NZ alpine conditions? (I've seen references saying that the Soulo is stronger, but to me this doesn't mean that the Unna couldn't manage those conditions).

Also, as a bonus question, it looks to me (on paper specs and from the earlier image in this thread) that you could fit two people in the Unna without gear with the inner still attached. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance (and forgive the slight thread drift). I'm just not comfortable heading into winter conditions without a bomber tent (I'm only just starting to look into winter backpacking for the first time this year.)

Edited by anzt on 03/04/2013 15:37:15 MST.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Unna vestibule on 03/04/2013 15:56:54 MST Print View

The Unna is as tough a tent as I have used; in 60mph + winds and driven rain in Scotland it has been like a limpet for me.

With regard to 'views when raining' - who could say, possible but it obviously depends on the pitch and if weather conditions change...

You could fit two (cosy) in the tent.

The 'virtual vestibule' has proven itself well on the few occasions I have had recourse to it...

unna vest

Anna T
(anzt)

Locale: Victoria, Australia
Thanks! on 03/06/2013 14:32:34 MST Print View

Ed - that is perfect, thank you! I think Hilleberg just picked up another sale :D

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Re: A little schooling please... on 03/06/2013 17:13:23 MST Print View

"I can't see a reason NOT to go with a Hilleberg."

I can. It's the size. I'm 6' 2'' and in my Akto I manage to touch the walls at the foot end and the head end with my winter sleeping bag. The condensation in it is to be expected as it's a really old one without the top vent. But being build for short people seems to be a recurring thing with Hilleberg tents. As far as I know the Nallo (and the heavier version Nammatj?) seem to suffer from the same problem. The wall slopes simply aren't steep enough. My guess would be the Unna does too. Not really sure if the Soulo has steeper walls.

Other then that I think they're exceptionally well designed and built. The only trouble I can find with the two entrance tents is the weight and that I'm not sure I need the option to go to the south pole with my tent.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
New TT Moment DW on 03/06/2013 22:55:37 MST Print View

I predict Henry Shire's new Moment Double Wall tent will far outsell the Hilleberg Akto. And the Moment DW design features will be as responsible for sales as the lower price.

But we should all pay homage to the Akto for its groundbreaking design.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: New TT Moment DW on 03/07/2013 06:00:43 MST Print View

Yes. I just ordered one to use instead of my Akto for 3+ season use. The high vertical ends and the better ventilation options (at least on paper) did it for me. The better price and weight helped. Although the price with Hillebergs is relative given that you get a solid tent for long, long time.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Unna vestibule? on 03/07/2013 06:35:54 MST Print View

+1 w Ed. At 6'3" The Unna is long enough for me.