Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hilleberg Tent thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Unna on 02/23/2013 07:06:59 MST Print View

You should just be able to fit without touching the inner tent but it will depend on the loft of the bag. It is nowhere near as bad as the Nallo or Anjan with respect to a sloping wall by your feet. You can also sleep at an angle for a little more effective length. Head room is excellent.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Unna on 02/23/2013 08:34:56 MST Print View

+1 w/Dave I'm 6'3" and sleep on a Neoair. It is long enough. I nned to add some photos of me in the tent for the review I posted on the first page of this thread.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Re: Re: Unna on 02/23/2013 08:58:41 MST Print View

Photos would be great! Probably going to get either the Unna or the Kaitum 2.

Also, if anybody has specs on the packed size of either of these that would be great. My understanding is that they come with a larger than neccesary stuff bag, but Id like to know max pole section length and the minimum sized stuff bag that either could fit.

Edited by cfionthefly on 02/23/2013 09:02:21 MST.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Locale: Northern Utah
Hilleberg Anjan Use in the Winds on 02/23/2013 10:42:13 MST Print View

"So folks, anyone else have any thoughts on the Anjan."

Anjan 2

Stephen - If you live in the U.K., I would probably steer you towards one of their 4 season models where the outer fabric goes all the way to the ground. I am only saying that due to exposure and driving rains in your area.

I used the Anjan for 5 days in the Winds, right at Tree line, we found a cluster of trees for protection. We encountered two days and nights of high winds and rain. Sometime the winds were "pounding" in the middle of the night. I had the Anjan guyined out properly and it was solid with very little movement. The trees helped to dampen the wind gusts as well. Rain only entered the bottom of the vestibule only two or three inches, not a big deal. I just moved my stuff closer to the middle.

For somebody that wants to cut weight and bulk, but still have a secure shelter, the Anjan is a great choice. It DOES REQUIRE MORE ATTENTION in regards to site selection, positioning with respect to the wind direction, and other details. I have taken tarp clients with me, and they are very careful and very experienced in their setup with their tarps.

Since I normally use packgoats on our guided trips, weight is not an issue with us, so I have since sold the Anjan and now use the Nammatj, which I dearly love, based on where I live and hike.

Much has been said about the sloping end of the Nallo and Anjan, usually by posters that do not have actual field experience with either shelter. It has rarely been an issue with me. In fact, I chose to sleep in the Anjan with my head towards the sloping end and the foot of my bag towards the door, during our 5 day stay in the winds last September, and it worked fine for me. I used an Exped UL 7 (LW) mat and a Montbell SS UL #1. I am 6' 1" and had no issues with innter tent length, as I said.

FYI, http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews Note the Editor's choice award for the Anjan after extensive use in the field.

DISCLAIMER : I have been an authorized Hilleberg Retailer for Approx. 10 years. Having said that, I also have actual field experience with every one of their tent models, except the Rajd.

Edited by vigilguy on 02/23/2013 11:08:39 MST.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Hilleberg Kaitum photo in the Winds on 02/23/2013 10:59:34 MST Print View

"Photos would be great! Probably going to get either the Unna or the Kaitum 2.

Also, if anybody has specs on the packed size of either of these that would be great. My understanding is that they come with a larger than neccesary stuff bag, but Id like to know max pole section length and the minimum sized stuff bag that either could fit."Kaitum

Kaitum is an awesome tent. Doug Johnson here at BPL posted a great review in year's past. Keep in mind that the Kaitum is a long tent and takes up considerable real estate.

As I recall, the stuff sack dimensions for the Kaitum are approx. 6" X 20". Couldn't find it in the catalogue, I'll check some more places.

Edited by vigilguy on 02/23/2013 11:02:33 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Hilleberg Anjan Use in the Winds on 02/23/2013 11:21:29 MST Print View

Charlie, given you had an Unna, how did it compare to the Anjan?

I miss my Nammatj. I liked how the foot end sloped at a less aggressive angle than the Nallo.

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Nallo used with winter bags on 02/23/2013 11:28:42 MST Print View

Nallo

Nallo in the Winter at zero degree temps. Valandre Thor expedition bag.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Unna pole length on 02/23/2013 11:40:21 MST Print View

17" sections

I've only used the supplied bag.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Nallo used with winter bags on 02/23/2013 11:40:54 MST Print View

Not much room for person number 2. How much was the foot end of the bag touching the inner?

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Unna on 02/23/2013 11:41:44 MST Print View

"Charlie, given you had an Unna, how did it compare to the Anjan?"

Yep, I have owned the Unna. REALLY like it for a solo shelter. Now that I am 55 yrs old, I prefer to have more room in the inner space than when I was younger. I liked the small footprint of the unna, and it sets up fast. I also like the free standing nature, where I can shake out the pine needles (that got inside the tent) the next morning. The Unna opens wide for easy access for entering and exiting. Kinda miss the vestibule on it, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Tons of room inside for one person. Strong tent for conditions that are less demanding than what the Nammatj can handle.

The Unna is 14 oz. heavier than the Anjan, so the Anjan excels when I am weight conscious, IMO. The Anjan is romy as well, but with a front entry, as you know. Very different models for different uses.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Unna on 02/23/2013 11:45:14 MST Print View

Darn....I think I want an Unna now. But the Anjan looks like it as more features.....do you provide group discounts? ; )

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Nallp on 02/23/2013 11:46:58 MST Print View

"Not much room for person number 2. " Ha! you're funny David. Did you take a good look at the SIZE of the bag I was using? The Thor is a beast, with 12+" of loft. -50 bag. Of course it is gonna take up tons of room.

"How much was the foot end of the bag touching the inner?" Wasn't that noticeable, but maybe I just don't fret about it. I put my hard shell over the foot of the bag and it works for me.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Nallp on 02/23/2013 11:48:22 MST Print View

That was the point. That is one ENORMOUS bag.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
House living on 02/23/2013 11:49:15 MST Print View

I realise this is a Hillie thread, but folk discussing carrying a heavy house somehow seems weird on BPL.
Anyone can carry a house?

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Hilleberg on 02/23/2013 11:50:28 MST Print View

"Darn....I think I want an Unna now. But the Anjan looks like it as more features.....do you provide group discounts? ; )"

Ha! Not if I wanna keep my dealership! But I do throw in a footprint for free. :-)

Buy BOTH David. You make more money than most of us here! ;-)

Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Nammatj on 02/23/2013 11:53:47 MST Print View

"I miss my Nammatj. I liked how the foot end sloped at a less aggressive angle than the Nallo."

I also like the rear vent that the Nammatj has.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Nammatj on 02/23/2013 12:02:12 MST Print View

My kids are sucking my disposable income dry.

Yes! The ventilation in the Nammatj is excellent.

Mike, its nothing that a little quad strength can take care of.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Hilleberg Anjan Use in the Winds on 02/23/2013 12:49:51 MST Print View

Thanks Charles of your post.

I was looking at the Anjan 2 for trips with my buddy or wife but after checking out the pictures on Moontrail decides against it.

I never hear of someone using Pack goats, maybe pack in Ireland we should start using Pack sheep ;-)

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Updates on 02/25/2013 19:23:27 MST Print View

Great updates to the thread on the Anjan! Thanks for the photos.

Ever since I saw Charles' packgoats on 24hourcampfire I've been in love with the idea. Tried convincing the wife we desperately NEED some pack goats. Since I live in an apartment and have two decent sized dgos, space will be a concern. Hahahaha

Ken, thanks as always for the Unna info. I'm actually going to send you a PM/ email with specific Unna questions if you don't mind.

Peter, I also bought one of their bivanoraks. I bought mine to use for an emergency kit, and to take on long day-hikes in case I get stuck out at night (and in my SAR pack). In other words, a shelter for when I'm not planning on needing one.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
The Anjan 2 and 3 on 02/25/2013 19:41:02 MST Print View

I'm amazed the Anjan 3 or the Anjan 2 GT (huge extended vestibule) are both lighter than the Unna... and barely heavier than the Atko.

Even for solo trips I'd rather take a larger tent at the same weight.
It's hard to pick between them... they are all good designs.

The Anjan 3 is 1.7 Kg. it must be huge inside for 3 to fit.
The Anjan 2 is 1.5 Kg with a regular vestibule and lots of space inside.
The Atko is 1.3 Kg and looks like it could be pretty cramped inside for a big galloot like me.
The Unna is 1.9 Kg with no vestibule.

In terms of comfort and usability the Anjan in looking like a winner.
Am I missing something?

I don't want to buy the wrong tent... I want the right one, at these prices I can only buy one!