Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
Hilleberg Tent thread
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Unna wind worthiness on 05/19/2012 17:51:56 MDT Print View

Stephen. In my photos posted above the wind was coming at the side of the tent at over 40mph. Only a slight amount of deflection. Pretty solid.

Good tents.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Unna wind worthiness on 05/19/2012 18:59:24 MDT Print View

Thats what I thought Ken,

I only used the Soulo for two trips so far in Ireland to test it out and it is easy to see from the design and performance why Hilleberg are so highly respected.

I am half thinking of making up a lightweight inner as I am quiet good with a sewing machine.

Have a great weekend :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Unna wind worthiness on 05/19/2012 19:04:35 MDT Print View

I don't make much noise sewing either;)

Hoping we get to wear out our tents out from use.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Unna wind worthiness on 05/20/2012 14:09:34 MDT Print View

Was out of it on pain meds with my orthodontics last night Ken and the spell and grammer check on my phone is rubbish.

Yep, definitely hope we get to wear out our tents from use, I have 3 cool trips planned for the next 2 months :-)

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Hilleberg Tent thread on 05/20/2012 15:51:45 MDT Print View

I would love to see Hilleberg offer a larger version of the Atko. As long as the Unna and maybe 3 inches taller. If they went with a lighter strut material there would be almost/no weight gain. In that sand color could be great

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Hilleberg Tent thread on 05/29/2012 23:06:00 MDT Print View

Well with the weather forecast before the Lost Coast trip I packed the inner. Proved a good choice as it was pretty wet overnight both nights. Fly only some other time.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Hilleberg Saitaris on 02/09/2013 18:48:30 MST Print View

I thought I'd update this thread with pictures of my new Saitaris. At 14lbs, it is probably pushing the ultra-light limit. (Hahahaha). But it will be our family backpacking tent, for 4 people and two medium/ large dogs. Between the four of us, the weight will not be horrible, not to mention there is nowhere on planet Earth we couldn't camp with this tent. :)

On to the pictures:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Edited by Jedi5150 on 02/09/2013 18:49:33 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Hilleberg Saitaris on 02/09/2013 19:32:10 MST Print View

That's one bad ass looking tent Doug, I purchased a used Kiatum 3 last autumn and used it for the first time last Saturday with 2 buddies, it really is a cracking tent and the weight split between 3 is not a big deal at all.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Kaitum on 02/09/2013 20:05:00 MST Print View

Thanks Stephen! And do you happen to have any pictures from your trip? I'd love to see an interior shot of a 3 person set up for 3 men. I know the Hillebergs don't skimp on size, but I'm wondering how roomy it is when you use them to their suggested rating.

My family consists of my wife and I, and two daughters, 12 and 14. None of us are large, so I'm sure the 4 of us will fit in the Saitaris just fine.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Kaitum on 02/09/2013 20:21:27 MST Print View

Hi Doug,

I didn't get any pics as it was -13f and it was too cold to take off my gloves.

The inner was fine for 3 for 1 night but for anything longer it would be a place for 2.

Cheers,

Stephen

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Almost makes me want to camp in snow on 02/09/2013 21:31:04 MST Print View

Wow Doug that shelter looks sooo cozy!! Makes me want one...

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Kaitum 3 on 02/09/2013 22:08:47 MST Print View

Thanks for sharing your photos of the Saitaris. That's a veritable home away from home. Although at 14lb, I wouldn't be taking it without a pulk. At half the weight I have the Kaitum 3. I looked but I don't have any interior shots of it, but here it is in action in late September just below the continental divide in Fox Park, Indian Peaks Wilderness, CO. Altitude was about 11,000ft, and the overnight temps got down to the high teens. Nowhere near the snow you encountered, as you'll see, but worthy of 4 season use.

The Kaitum is the widest of the 3P Hilleberg tents. Three 20" pads fit side-by-side, with perhaps an inch or two in between. The double vestibules and the vertical doors on both ends meant there was no feeling of claustrophobia. As Stephen says, this is fine for three adult males for a short trip in winter, or two adults and a child plus 1-2 dogs in a vestibule for a longer trip.

K3-1

K3-2

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Re: Kaitum 3 on 02/09/2013 23:05:55 MST Print View

Jennifer, it was cozy :) In fact my pup, Vixen, did not want to leave it when it came time to take it down. lol

Stuart, thanks for the pictures of the Kaitum, the more the merrier. I can never get tired of looking at Hilleberg tent photos. Thanks for both you and Stephen for the size description. I thought I'd studied the Hilleberg tents pretty well but I had no idea the width of the Kaitum 3 was that much greater...11" wider than their other 3 person tents! And I agree with you, a pulk would have been very nice. I didn't go far from the car on this trip, only a few hundred yards across a meadow, but even that distance with all my gear and the tent I was feeling it (plus the elevation got to me). A pulk would have been really nice to have.

I've sort of decided that for winter camping, since the gear is so much bulkier and heavier, if I'm not going to be close to a vehicle I want a pulk instead of a backpack.

Edited by Jedi5150 on 02/09/2013 23:14:25 MST.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

A little schooling please... on 02/10/2013 07:13:41 MST Print View

Not that I ever actually need a reason to buy gorgeous backpacking gear, but...

Wow these tents just look amazing. They are, however, quite bomber and heavy. So outside of winter use, why would one use such a tent? Bigger groups? Strong winds? I'm just not sure how I could justify owning one of these beauties unless I did a lot of winter outings...

(She says as she checks her pay pal balance...)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: A little schooling please... on 02/10/2013 07:48:50 MST Print View

Jennifer,

I have two Hilleberg Tents, the Kaitum 3 above and the 1 person Soulo.

The Kaitum is primarily for use for winter and bad weather both for US and back in Europe, its light enough it can be carried between 2 but between 3 its an easy carry.

I will pack the in the US Soulo anytime the forecasted wind speeds are over 35-40mph or if snow is forecasted, also when heading to Europe I will pack it each time if going on solo trips as I am often gone for 4 weeks.

A lot of folk on here would not dream of carrying a Hilleberg (but a lot do), it really comes down to personal preference, all the rest of my kit is UL for its intended use and my 3 season Tent is a Tarp Tent Startosphie 1 (which is a fine shelter)

Hi Doug,

Check out Moontrail for decent photos of the Kaitum 3.

http://www.moontrail.com/hilleberg-kaitum3.php

Cheers,

Stephen

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Hilleberg tents on 02/10/2013 07:48:55 MST Print View

Jennifer,

Now that Hilleberg offers mesh inners for some models (as an extra, still more dollars), its tents are great year-round. They are heavy by BPL standards but the durability and size justify the weight in my opinion. I use my Unna all the time. A lifetime investment.

Richard

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: A little schooling please... on 02/10/2013 08:13:22 MST Print View

That tent is nicer than my house.

Edited by FamilyGuy on 02/10/2013 08:14:09 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: A little schooling please... on 02/10/2013 08:19:25 MST Print View

That tent certainly is far sturdier and well built than my house.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Mine as well on 02/10/2013 08:25:07 MST Print View

It is nicer than my condo. And yes, probably bigger, too.

I've seen them, drooled over them, but just couldn't justify one. I'd like to get into more winter trips, and once I move out west perhaps I can find it in my pocketbook to invest in one of these bad boys as I would have more of a use for something like this. I want very badly to have a good use for one ;)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Mine as well on 02/10/2013 08:33:05 MST Print View

I was lucky enough to get the Soulo discounted from Hilleberg and bought Kaitum off a Bpl member :-)