Forum Index » GEAR » Jetboil Flash vs. Sol Ti cup weights

Display Avatars Sort By:
Trek Guy
(trek_guy) - M
Jetboil Flash vs. Sol Ti cup weights on 05/11/2012 12:19:19 MDT Print View

I have a Jetboil Flash cooking system and like it, though I'd like to shave off some weight and migrate to a Jetboil Sol Ti. The reduction of moving to that system should cut off 5.5 ounces. (Jetboil's site says 14 oz vs. 8.5 oz for each unit's main cup + burner)

To do this I'm planning to purchase a ".8 Liter Sol Titanium Companion Cup" (available through many online sources) for approximately $50.

However, the listed weight of this cup is 6.3 ounces. I weighed my Flash cup and it came in at 7.5 ounces. That's only 1.2 ounces different, not 5.5 ounces like I thought it would be. This either means the listed weight of the Ti companion cup is way off, or that the burner assembly is different between the Flash and Sol Ti systems.

Does anyone know if the burner is indeed different? If so, to realize that 5.5 ounce reduction I'll have to sell off my Flash and purchase an entire Sol Ti package.

Ben Wortman
(bwortman)

Locale: Nebraska
Different on 05/11/2012 12:37:48 MDT Print View

I was considering the same thing a few weeks ago. I sent a question to jetboil and they told me the burner is different, as well as the lid and plastic piece below the burner. The FLASH has a bulkier lid and a larger plastic piece. In the end, I decided it was not a big enough difference to spend the $ on the SOL.

You could always just hack off the plasic deal and shave a few oz for free.

Ben

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: Different on 05/11/2012 12:57:36 MDT Print View

The burners are different. I happen to own both the sol ti and the flash, so here are a few measurements: the sol's burner weighs 102.2g and the flash's weighs 145.6g. Weight of the pots with sleeves is 126.9g for the sol (112.2g w/o sleeve) compared to 209.1g for the flash (169.2g w/o sleeve). The lids weigh 18.7g for the sol and 28.5g for the flash. The canister tripods are the same for each at 28g.

Surprisingly, the plastic bowl/heat diffuser protector from my flash PCS weighs about 4g less than the sol's (the sol's weighs in at 33.4g). And the bowl from my flash PCS would weigh even less if it wasn't being held together by duct tape. The sol's bowl on the other hand is still going strong, so jetboil probably switched designs/materials for the bowl for something a little more robust (I think the sol's bowl is a little thicker).

Trek Guy
(trek_guy) - M
Lid weight? on 05/11/2012 13:12:23 MDT Print View

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone know the weight of the Sol Ti lid? My Flash lid is 1.0 ounce.

Joseph R
(Dianoda) - MLife

Locale: Chicago, IL
Re: Lid weight? on 05/11/2012 13:24:01 MDT Print View

18.7 grams, or .66oz. It's also listed in my earlier post.

I recall another user noting you could replace the lid with a lid from a Philadelphia cream cheese container, which supposedly weighs just 5g. The diameter of the flash and sol/sol ti pots is identical as far as I can tell, so you could probably do the same mod for the flash as well.

Edited by Dianoda on 05/11/2012 13:27:52 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Jetboil Flash vs. Sol Ti cup weights on 05/11/2012 13:39:57 MDT Print View

For other ideas....including the Philly lid.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63730&skip_to_post=545722#545722

Trek Guy
(trek_guy) - M
Thanks on 05/11/2012 13:41:17 MDT Print View

Thanks, all. And Joseph -- sorry for missing the lid weight in your original post. You gave me everything I need.