Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Yosemite in June
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Yosemite in June on 05/09/2012 20:44:07 MDT Print View

Anybody know how bad the mosquito population is in mid June in the Ten Lakes area? Thanks.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Yosemite in June on 05/09/2012 22:38:17 MDT Print View

I was there 2 years ago(Ten Lakes)in June but there was a lot of snow on the ground-Big Snow Year!!!
The mosquitoes were bad in sections but it was manageable. Because of the lack of snow this year I do not think the bugs will be as bad. Less water less bugs my theory but always plan for the worst when it come to blood sucking monsters!

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
yosem on 05/12/2012 15:19:42 MDT Print View

I was up near merced lake and sunrise camp 2 weekends ago and there were not mosquitoes.. I have to imagine with this low snow year that they will be coming out very soon. probably a few weeks

Scott Bentz
(scottbentz) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Ten Lakes on 05/13/2012 13:16:12 MDT Print View

I was up there a few years ago but do not remember any bugs (probably in mid-late July). I think we all feel the bugs will be out earlier and then not as long this year due to low snow levels. Who knows?

I also think it is usually possible to move to an area that does not have bugs by simply moving to a more exposed area close by.

Don't forget a headset.

Opps! HEAD NET. But if there are a lot of bugs maybe the headset would be pretty nice to drown out the dive bombing.

Edited by scottbentz on 05/15/2012 13:23:13 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Ten Lakes on 05/13/2012 15:15:44 MDT Print View

"Don't forget a headset."

So that you can listen to MP3 mosquito music?

--B.G.--

Diego Panasiti
(Gaucho) - F

Locale: East Coast - West Coast
Depends on 05/14/2012 16:49:10 MDT Print View

Yosemite mosquitoes are usually at peak in July. This of course depends on the snowfall that year, temperature range, moisture. I'd bring a head net and whatever deterrent you use, this Winter has been mild.

Diego Panasiti
(Gaucho) - F

Locale: East Coast - West Coast
....edit on 05/26/2012 18:01:49 MDT Print View

No mosquitos this week.

amanda siller
(almondine3) - F
Mosquito update Ten lakes? on 06/14/2012 13:01:21 MDT Print View

Bump! Heading to do the Grand Canyon this weekend in the Ten Lakes area- any updates on mosquitos? Thanks!!!

steven franchuk
(Surf)
South West Yosemite getting bad. on 06/15/2012 21:47:08 MDT Print View

I just finished a hike to Cresent, Royal Arch lake and Buena Vist lake. Didn't see any at Buena Vista (no stagnet water). They were tolerable at royal arch lake. At Cresent they were really bad. I hiked through the Chilnualna lakes and and they were very bad there.

In general if there is standing water they are getting bad. I cannot say for certain about 10 lakes since I didn't go there but given the altitude there and where I was I would plan on being prepared for a lot of bugs.