Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
In need of new clothes...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Perry Hock
(hphock) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
In need of new clothes... on 05/09/2012 06:28:36 MDT Print View

If you could purchase all new clothes, what would you buy? I have a great reason for asking...

Over the last year I have lost 60 lbs (205lb to 145lb) and thus none of my pants, shorts or most of my shirts don't fit. I have gone from a size 36 to 28 (but purchase 30 since 28 is pretty much non-existent). I have combed over people's gear lists and wondered 'if they could restart right now, would they still use the same clothes'

Some background on our hikes:
WV mountains in Jan/Feb
Section hike the AT usually in July but also spring and late fall (after his football is over)
Red River Gorge and the Smokies any time of year
Planned: Glacier next year, late summer

What I need help with:

pants for winter
pants for the swing seasons (if different from above)
pants for late spring early fall (convertible?)
shorts
long sleeve mid layer
Base layer

Possibly a new soft shell and hard shell. Also thinking of upgrading from dri-ducks to ?

Any help here is greatly appreciated! Additionally, web addresses or location would be great if they are fairly obscure.

Many thanks,
Perry

Paul Wagner
(balzaccom) - F

Locale: Wine Country
Thrift Shops on 05/09/2012 09:12:42 MDT Print View

Everything I wear on the trail comes from thrift shops: fleece, hiking pants, shirts, etc.

Oh--you mean you WANT to spend a lot of money?

Perry Hock
(hphock) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
RE: Thrift Shops on 05/09/2012 10:59:27 MDT Print View

I went to them. Found some nice columbia shorts... One pair, cotton. I live in an area that a lot of people shop the thrift stores, so its fairly well picked over.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
In need of new clothes... on 05/09/2012 11:59:00 MDT Print View

Congratulations on the weight loss!

Big box stores, like Target, KMart, WallyWorld--look in the athletic departments. Track pants, shorts, wicking base layers, lots of that sort of thing. Track stuff should be on sale about now, or soon will be, since the end of the season is approaching.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Patagonia the way to go on 05/09/2012 14:43:28 MDT Print View

Due to seemingly relentless 50%+ OFF sales, I am pretty much a walking billboard for Patagonia now. But truely it is because most of their hiking clothing is very well made with class leading weight/design.

3 Season Shirt: Run Shade Zip Neck Tee or Lightweight Sun Hoody
3 Season Pants: Rock Guide now called Rock Craft for 2012. Roll up for shorts.
Belt: Friction Belt
All Season Underwear: Cap 1 Silkweight Boxer Briefs
3 Season Baselayer top: Merino 1 long sleeve Crew
Winter Season Baselayer top: Merino 2 Zip neck
Winter Season Baselayer bottoms: Merino 3
Houdini Windshirt
Nano Puff Vest
R1 Hoody
Nano Puff Pull Over Jacket

All these were purchased from Patagonia Direct, 6PM.com and Sierra Trading Post at never less than 50% OFF, mostly 60-70%.

Raingear is tricky since it can easily end up being the heaviest, most expensive and LEAST USED clothing piece in the pack. I have a Montbell Storm Cruiser kit using 3 layer Gore-tex Pro, but only because it was the only piece on the rack that fit me at the time I bought it. Light enough for what it is, but I would not buy it again. Generally works well in sub-60deg temps. Above that temp and I just prefer a cheap $2 plastic 100g poncho and rain hat. Anything else just gets too hot on me for any activity other than standing around camp.

If I had to buy raingear now, I would look for the lightest/cheapest membrane fabric suit which is either Gore-tex PacLite or a clothing brand's "house" membrane like Montbell's Breeze Dry Tec or Super Hydro Breeze.

Edited by rmjapan on 05/09/2012 15:35:03 MDT.

John Peterson
(skik2000) - F

Locale: Boulder, CO
Patagonia on 05/10/2012 13:06:17 MDT Print View

I really like Patagonia but their pants are made for hipsters. I've got a size 30 waist with muscular legs and their pants will NOT fit me. I feel like my hips/thighs have been tightly saran wrapped. I've got to go up to a 33 at least in order to fit my legs in their pants/shorts.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
In need of new clothes... on 05/10/2012 13:20:51 MDT Print View

I buy whatever catches my eye on Steep and Cheap. I think Patagonia prices are ridiculous, even with my 50% off pro form.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
What I use on 05/10/2012 13:29:44 MDT Print View

My theory is that you should not be spending lots of money on hiking clothes as they are one place you can get lots of good deals.

Most of my hiking clothes come from thrift stores or Wal Mart. You can get cheap synthetic shirst there, cheap fleeces and synthetic socks.
I do have a pair of REI zip off pants. They are nice because they are better made and seem to last longer than the generic brands. I've never used winter pants. If its cold I just wear long underwear bottoms under my long pants. If there is snow I wear gaiters.

If thrift stores don't work Sierretradingpost.com and campmor.com have good deals. Also REI usually has markdowns on clothes at the end of the season.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
In need of new clothes... on 05/13/2012 14:24:14 MDT Print View

If I'm not picky about what brand or model, I like shopping online at Sierra Trading Post.

I've been thinking about starting my own clothing line called "The Emperor's New Clothes" which promises to be really UL clothing though I'm having problems with morons not being able to see them.

Edited by Miner on 05/13/2012 14:25:29 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: In need of new clothes... on 05/13/2012 15:39:18 MDT Print View

> I've been thinking about starting my own clothing line called "The Emperor's New Clothes"

Wonders whether this should be moved to Gear Deals ...
:-)

Cheers

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Re: Re: In need of new clothes... on 05/13/2012 16:30:12 MDT Print View

Or flagged for offensive content... ;-)

Edited by nzbazza on 05/13/2012 16:32:22 MDT.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Patagonia the way to go on 05/14/2012 04:34:20 MDT Print View

+1 for Patagonia. I know they get a lock of flack on this site, but I have a lot of Pat clothes (for hiking, other outdoor sports and every day clothes) that I have literally had for 20 years and they are all still in great shape. Worth every penny, especially at 50% or more off.

Thayne N
(teethless) - MLife

Locale: SF CA
new clothes on 05/16/2012 10:34:36 MDT Print View

Congrats on the new physique! I'm always trying new things, so I can't say that I'd use all the same clothes....

Sure, check the thrift shops. I've found a few great pieces there, but my experience is you'll spent a lot hours to find something (and now with a reduced lifespan.) I love buying second hand and if you do too, check the gear swap/used postings at your local outfitter, craigslist, and the bpl gearswap. Many times you're getting top quality kit at (or close to) the price of "big box" garments.

I didn't see in your original post that you were budget focused, but I second many of the opinions that you can outfit yourself on the new, for less than retail, if you want to. I am often willing to spend more for more comfort and quality.

I am a big fan of getting stuff to fit perfectly, so if I was in your shoes, I'd be trying out different types of garments from many different manufacturers. Not just springing for some cheapie track pants that will be rubbing together every step you take...unless that is your desired fit! I have had some champion branded poly baselayers that fit and performed well. (target?)

For baselayers and pants: I've had Patagonia pieces for most of my outdoor venturing years and keep returning for the long lasting quality, features and fit. (And they do all the green stuff so you can feel better about consuming...) I like the rock craft pants for 3 season use, they fit my skinny "hipster?" legs well. (No zip off legs for me, just roll 'em up) I have no love for their h2no shells. I have some older guide pants that still work well for winter conditions. The patagonia merino 3 hoody that I just picked up off of gearswap is my favorite new piece.

For shells: I like Arcteryx for the same reasons, their gear seems to last and hold value. (Once upon a time I wore a softshell for 4 years, sold it on CL for half the original retail.) I seem to get twice the life out of their garments as stuff half the price...hmm.

Others I've liked: OR shells in paclite, merino wool baselayers/midlayers (ibex, patagonia, the redram/icebreaker stuff on STP)

Not what you asked, but walk into your local outfitter and pose them the same questions. Similar to the internet, you'll get a bunch of opinions, but you'll be able to see stuff IRL and gauge quality and fit, and bonus keeping your money in your community. If you lack any good local options, pick one of the many online retailers with competitive pricing and easy returns and start trying stuff out. Keep in mind your pre-svelte gear experiences!

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: In need of new clothes... on 05/16/2012 15:43:11 MDT Print View

what a great reason to need new clothing. Quite a range of needs. Most of my suggestion can be found on my recommended clothing web page. I also decided after 5 years I think, it was time to go back to a "normal hardshell" when my 4th dry-duck/dropstopper/etc needed to be replaced. Just got a Rab Minimalist eVENT shell. Fit is good, weight (11.5oz) is ok, performance… will tell you in a year or two :)

--Mark

Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

Locale: Oregon
If I Were to Hit Reset on 05/16/2012 18:45:27 MDT Print View

then I would buy lots of merino wool. Baselayer, hat, gloves, thin socks, thick socks, underwear, and a pair of pants even if such a thing exists. Beyond buying quality wool articles, I'd go cheap on synthetics. Synthetic seems to be the same no matter the brand, at least to me, so spending big money on a "hiking" shirt now strikes me as a waste of my money when I can find a polyester or nylon dress shirt from Goodwill that will work as well.

I say this having done that very thing; I have one of those safari-looking shirts that I use rarely, is uncomfortable due to the comical pockets, and is piling badly. Bought it on sale and wish I hadn't even bothered. Same for pants; they were advertised as quick-drying; they neglected to mention they were also quick-absorbing. They are also so baggy I'm embarrassed to be seen in them. Some cheap synthetic dress pants would have been better probably; at least I wouldn't feel like a clown wearing them. And I suppose with thrift store dress shirt and dress pants, I'd look better in my pictures.

All the above said, I usually hike in light weight softshells from backcounty and a long sleeve running shirt from some race. I'm actually pretty happy with the softshell pants; I doubt they'll dry quickly after a good soaking but the DWR works quite well, so I haven't had to find out. I'd love me some merino, but what I have now works.

Lastly, good for you on the weight loss! I went through that when I was younger; truly is life changing, isn't it?

-Jeff

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
verber on 05/16/2012 22:54:29 MDT Print View

1. go to mr verbers site

2. go to discount stores if the "brand" doesnt matter to you

3. if you do want to spend on a brand, make sure its got a rock solid no questions asked guarantee and a deep sale

im putting holes in my EB guide pants after 2 months of moderate rock use ... fortunately EB will deal with it ...

carl becker
(carlbecker) - F

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: In need of new clothes... on 05/17/2012 08:17:03 MDT Print View

I use Railrider Adventure pants year round. I have two weights of Minsus33 wool base for cool and cold weather. No shorts. Tops are the same wool or with hoodie and or Montbell down inner.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby)

Locale: North Carolina
Similar situation on 05/17/2012 14:11:43 MDT Print View

I am working on building up some outdoors/backwoods worthy clothing for camping trips with my son (and soon to be backpacking) with a limited budget. I've had good success with staples at Sierra Trading, Campmor and REI utilizing sales and coupons.

For basic stuff I've been happy with wicking synthetics from Wal Mart and Target - from underwear and socks, to shirts, shorts, quarter zips and fleeces. All of that I get on clearance - just shop end of season. With the added benefit that almost all of it gets used multipurpose when i go to workout at the gym every day and for tennis. Works as well there as for a base layer or insulating layer when hiking. The C9 clothes at Target in particular have held up really well through multiple washings and hard wear.