Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Q: Can opener to do a Foster's Can stove with nice smooth lid ??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Q: Can opener to do a Foster's Can stove with nice smooth lid ?? on 05/08/2012 12:31:36 MDT Print View

Trying to get some Foster's cans into alky stoves and can't figure out what can opener everyone is using. Tried the "safe" style one that the grocery store had and it wouldn't even fit on the can due to the way the lid comes in (and is smaller) than the rest of the can body. Anybody have any suggestions ?? I want to still be able to use the can top as the lid (so I'd like the edges to be smooth if possible.

Addison Page
(Nihilist_Voyager) - F

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!
Re: Q on 05/08/2012 12:53:30 MDT Print View

I used a knife.

But mine also doesn't have a nice, clean edge lol

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
can ring? on 05/08/2012 12:56:37 MDT Print View

I know you want to use the can top for the lid, but have you thought about the aluminum rings that push into the top? They really are nice and stiffen up the can quite well. You can also make your own ring from a tuna/soup can, but then you will need a different lid than the original can top. Just a thought, good luck and happy MYOG!!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Pampered chef can opener? on 05/08/2012 13:08:12 MDT Print View

I believe the Pampered Chef brand can opener will work for the Fosters lid and leave a safe edge, but dont quote me on that.

Gary Rath
(MudisFun) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Q: Can opener to do a Foster's Can stove with nice smooth lid ?? on 05/08/2012 13:58:45 MDT Print View

I believe you do use the safe can opener style but you have to remove some material from it..

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Q: Can opener to do a Foster's Can stove with nice smooth lid ?? on 05/08/2012 14:33:22 MDT Print View

I bought this can opener at WalMart for $10 or $12. I used a utility knife and file to remove the nub below the cutter. Hiram Cooke on youtube did a video some time ago about which can openers work and which ones dont. I found it very easy to get a clean cut once the nub was removed. This was the Farberware brand but other brands of this type work as well.Opener

Edited by brucetbo on 05/08/2012 14:35:21 MDT.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
foster's can on 05/08/2012 16:26:34 MDT Print View

When I did mine a year and a half ago, I bought two cans, thinking I'd mess up the first own and it's about 35 mi. rt to the beer store :) I just used a cheap regular can opener and the lid came off smooth and clean. Still using that same pot.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Thanks for all the tips ! on 05/08/2012 16:28:44 MDT Print View

Appreciate all your prompt input. Thankfully the beer store is a mere 10 minutes away, so I'll test out a few different ideas here and see what works best for me. Cheers !