Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Going to Glacier, need camp spots along the way.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Going to Glacier, need camp spots along the way. on 05/07/2012 23:52:19 MDT Print View

I secured a permit for Glacier National Park in late Aug. There will be 4 of us going. We will be driving from central California and stopping about half way, or a little more. I need help finding a nice place to camp for the night in Northern Utah, not to far off the Hwy, probably a little farther north of Logan Utah. Any suggestions? We could also stay in a cheap motel, or a hostel, if they have anything like that there, but camping would be our 1st choice.

Thanks in advance, Jack

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Going to Glacier, need camp spots along the way." on 05/08/2012 20:47:33 MDT Print View

I can't help you out Jack other than to say that Logan is a super cool town. And the drive from there to Jackson is really nice.

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't stop in Winnemucca!

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Winnemucca on 05/08/2012 21:15:26 MDT Print View

Oh, come on Dave, you're hurt"in my feelings, I own property in Winnemucca. I plan to build a desert cabin there in a few years. It's 37 miles north west of town, out in the middle of exactly no where! But hey, no niehbors, or city congestion, just me and the wide open space.

William Cummings
(rcummings1) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: Going to Glacier, need camp spots along the way. on 05/08/2012 21:23:01 MDT Print View

Spring Hollow Campground just past Logan. It's easy in and out off Hwy 89. Another is Dewitt Campground a little further down the road.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Camp ground on 05/08/2012 21:31:11 MDT Print View

William, how far off the Hwy 89 is the campground? Do you know there phone # or prices?

Thanks ,Jack

Edited by jumpbackjack on 05/08/2012 21:32:32 MDT.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Campground on 05/08/2012 21:35:00 MDT Print View

Never mind I just found it.

Thanks, Jack

Robert Perkins
(rp3957) - M

Locale: The Sierras
Winnemucca on 05/08/2012 21:53:56 MDT Print View

Hey Jack, Is your property out in the Unionville area south of Imlay? If so, don't tell anybody, but it is pretty nice out there. Nice little desert oasis.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

RE Winnemucca on 05/08/2012 22:08:31 MDT Print View

Robert, you take Jungo Hwy out of town, it's about 5 miles of asphalt road now, "YEAH", then it turns into a dirt Hwy "BOOO" for another 25 miles, then you drive 7 miles cross country literally, no real roads to speek of, just ranchers tending to cattle, sage brush, antelope and cows.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Going to Glacier, need camp spots along the way." on 05/08/2012 22:09:06 MDT Print View

Yeah, but 37 miles outside Winnemucca is still not IN Winnemucca!

Oos, I was thinking of Wells....worst motel ever...

Edited by davidlutz on 05/08/2012 23:26:04 MDT.