Solo Tents at Philmont
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Kirkpatrick
(mwkirk) - F
Solo Tents at Philmont on 05/07/2012 21:55:49 MDT Print View

My troop will be at Philmont July 17th of this year. We have 4 adults going with the Scoutmaster and his son (just turned 18) will be tenting together. I have read that solo tents are discouraged at Philmont and depending on the ranger you get possibly not allowed. That leaves me at 6'4" over 200 and the other adult probably 6'2" possibly tenting together. I think we would both like to go solo and he actually already has one of the Big Agnes lightweight solo tents.

I have been looking at the SMD Scout or Trekker. But just don't want to get out there and not be able to use the tent. So, I was thinking maybe a Shangri-La 2 so that would fit both of us if it had to but if we could go solo I would have a decently light tent. Department of Goods has the MSR Carbon Reflex 2 but again in my reading that might not easily accommodate 2 larger guys.

Anyone else have any experience to draw on to give some advice?

david richardson
(drichi) - MLife

Locale: midwest
solo tents on 05/08/2012 09:24:58 MDT Print View

I don't think that adults will have any problem if you both want to tent solo. They don't like youth in single tents, adults are usually left to there own choice. dave

Sarah Kuhn
(SCKuhn) - MLife

Locale: Mountainous Ohio
Solo Adults on 05/08/2012 12:06:02 MDT Print View

+1 to David's commment - never had an issue with solo adults, solo youth are greatly discouraged.

Mike Kirkpatrick
(mwkirk) - F
Ok...so guess I am looking for a solo tent then on 05/09/2012 17:15:04 MDT Print View

So for my 6'4" frame any solo tents anyone might recommend? Any tent better for Philmont than others? I live in Georgia so my normal camping conditions might be quite a bit different than Philmont. Lots more humidity I would think.

Tents I have looked or thought about are:
SMD Scout or Trekker...
Golite Shangri-la 1
Bearpaw AT-1

Any other comments or suggestions??

Thanks
Mike

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Solo Tents at Philmont on 05/09/2012 18:37:12 MDT Print View

I have a SMD Trekker, but haven't had it out yet so I can't comment about actual use. I am looking forward to using this kind of shelter, especially for the worst weeks for bugs in the PNW.

For a tent with this design that definitely accommodates your height, look at the Lightheart SoLong:

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=13&zenid=58774f150c45c3b9f6aa13b878b4c4df

I think Jolly Green Giant (another tall hiker) has a review of the SoLong and a separate post about the SMD Lunar Solo (redesigned recently with corners that increase the effective length) here:

http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com/

Edited by saparisor on 05/09/2012 18:37:56 MDT.

Mike Kirkpatrick
(mwkirk) - F
SMD and Lightheart on 05/09/2012 21:21:36 MDT Print View

The Scout and the Trekker are the same tent except for materials it appears. Looking at the specs they are actually a little longer than the lightheart though narrower. Also at just over 2 pounds the cost on the Scout is really good.