packing organic?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
packing organic? on 05/07/2012 10:32:32 MDT Print View

how many are going organic in the backcountry?
what are your "splurges" so-to-speak ?
and what about frontcountry?
who's throwing down?
lt

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 11:08:09 MDT Print View

I use 100% organic silnylon.

Patrick S
(xpatrickxad) - F

Locale: Upper East TN
Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 11:19:33 MDT Print View

I do. I tend to only be able to fit weekend trips to my schedule so I just cook real food to bring with me. It may weigh more and take up more space, but I figure I go light enough to be able to bring food that I enjoy and is good for me. My real challenge is in my daily life I don't do any sucrose so that eliminates pretty much all 'hiker food.' I normally limit my sucrose, but I find on the trail I'm okay with eating more sugary fruits.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 13:02:39 MDT Print View

I do mostly organics...but more important for us now is minimally processed.

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Locale: Pacific NW
Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 13:37:56 MDT Print View

Not packing Organic yet, but using some organics when packing. Mostly just for spices, dehydrated veg, etc though.

Eating organic all the time for regular food. We order from AzureStandard.com for a lot of items, as they are priced fairly and it is easy to have the food come to our drop point. Less driving around and shopping.

We are blessed to live in a part of the country where people pay attention to that and have it available. Though I must admit Portland OR was even more in touch with it than Seattle, when we lived there a few years ago.

If I was in the backcountry more often, I would be more diligent about it. Right now I treat that time as a chance to eat "junk food" and like it. :)

j lan
(justaddfuel) - F

Locale: MN
Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 14:05:47 MDT Print View

I bought the high altitude sampler from mary jane's farm and have been eating tons of organic in the backcountry, probably more than frontcountry.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 15:29:10 MDT Print View

Keith, ever shop directly at Bob's Red Mill? Great way to waste time when PDX!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 16:05:42 MDT Print View

Is Bob's Red Mill off highway 224?

Is it retail?

They must have all the same grains you can get at the grocery store?

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

Re: Re: Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 16:45:26 MDT Print View

I haven't been to the outlet. We lived in Vancouver for over a decade, and I never even thought to hit it.

Of course, we came to organics / hippie food in the last 7 years or so. And half of that was spent in Seattle. When we next visit our friends in PDX, I will have to make a pilgrimage. :)

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 17:04:01 MDT Print View

I'm afraid the term "organic" has been corrupted

Since it's now popular, modern "industrial" farms are producing food that's "organic" but maybe not that much (or any?) better than non-organic

Like, if you "produce" a green tomato with organic fertilizer and pesticides, and turn it red artificially, it's not that healthful

If you ripened a tomato on the vine, it would be better, but that has nothing to do with "organic" certification

I grow some of my own produce that's fairly organic but that's not practical for many people

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 17:41:04 MDT Print View

Yep, the retail store is very neat! It sits across the street from Dave's Killer Bread - I kid not. They have everything they make for sale - including hard to find items + a huge bulk section + a cafe that is way tasty. Did I mention I met the actual Bob? Yep! Plus they do factory tours!
http://gazingin.com/2012/04/10/field-trip-to-bobs-red-mill/
Yes...I am a nerd.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 17:44:17 MDT Print View

Dave's Killer Bread??? You must be kidding!!!

Okay, I have to check it out.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Re: packing organic? on 05/07/2012 17:45:57 MDT Print View

Hehheh.....be sure to eat lunch there at Bob's. They make a veggie Philly style melt that is so delicious.....

Keith Bassett
(keith_bassett)

organic means ... ? on 05/07/2012 23:32:15 MDT Print View

True enough, organic has been corrupted by big business. But if you want good, real food you can always rely on Oregon tilth certified, or local places you can visit.

We have had good luck with local CSAs, and with places like azure standard that place a priority on working with good producers over always having the cheapest prices. For instance, our meat comes from a local guy just over the Mrs in Yakima. We can and have dropped in with no notice to "meet the meat" and check out his farm and practices. I know it sounds a bit Portlandia, but I want my kids to appreciate what they have when they eat meat.

Barron farms. Good product,ethical farmer. He just got a fancy new website, and I suspect someone here in Seattle traded work for food. :-)

Dave's killer is just that... killer. Met Dave several times at the farmers market in Vancouver. Super nice guy. Good to see him hit it big.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: organic means ... ? on 05/08/2012 08:31:33 MDT Print View

Yep...meet the people behind the products. If they have nothing to hide they will be happy to show you around. When the farmers market is in season I shop there every week - many times the farmers selling are growing organic but cannot afford to be certified so talk to them, learn their practices. (I sold at a farmers market for years btw)

Although an even better option is grow your food! :-D Not that I am good at that one - I grow berries ;-) 27 blueberry plants, 2 red huckleberries and a ton of strawberries and rhubarb. Yum.....and all organic (ie. I ignore them).