Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler H
(ctwnwood) - F

Locale: Utah
MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out on 05/06/2012 21:14:11 MDT Print View

Had the opportunity to test out my just finished 8x7ish flat tarp. I made his out of Lawson's .74oz banana cuben.

Hysol is much more difficult to work with than I anticipated. If you have a nice big well-light and well-ventilated space to set out a massive jig then it'd be fine, but I do not and it was a struggle. So the construction was a bit sloppy, but it turned out fine and seemed to weather the probably 20 mph gusts last night.

Also got to test the John West/Borah Gear bivy, older Golite quilt and ridgerest combo down to the mid-20s at the City of Rock, Idaho.

tarp1

Not sure what to call this pitch but I've used it a couple times now and it's solid. Obviously, pitch the low end into the wind. If the tarp has a mid-panel tieout all the better to pull it away from your feet.

tarp2

Sean Rhoades
(kingpin)

Locale: WV
tarp on 05/06/2012 21:39:11 MDT Print View

Good looking tarp man. Did you use Hysol only, or sewing as well?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out on 05/06/2012 22:43:11 MDT Print View

Nice work, looks good

"Hysol is much more difficult to work with than I anticipated..."

Maybe it would be better to use tape? Even though it isn't as strong?

Maybe Hysol is better for smaller areas like reinforcement patches

Tyler H
(ctwnwood) - F

Locale: Utah
re: tarp on 05/06/2012 23:02:38 MDT Print View

So I used Hysol along the ridgeline and for the reinforcement patches. I sewed/hemmed the edges and sewed on the tie-outs. The corners have linlocs.

I would say yes, Hysol for the patches because it's no problem on the small areas. I did the whole ridgeline and clamped it. I left the boards clamped too long and it left particle board behind. Ugly.

I almost forgot, this thing weighs 5.5 oz without guylines. Kind of heavy for a cuben tarp but pretty much what I expected given that it's enormous and pretty beefy with the .74 oz cuben. You could fit two people under there too.