November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tyler H
(ctwnwood) - F

Locale: The Palouse
MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out on 05/06/2012 21:14:11 MDT Print View

Had the opportunity to test out my just finished 8x7ish flat tarp. I made his out of Lawson's .74oz banana cuben.

Hysol is much more difficult to work with than I anticipated. If you have a nice big well-light and well-ventilated space to set out a massive jig then it'd be fine, but I do not and it was a struggle. So the construction was a bit sloppy, but it turned out fine and seemed to weather the probably 20 mph gusts last night.

Also got to test the John West/Borah Gear bivy, older Golite quilt and ridgerest combo down to the mid-20s at the City of Rock, Idaho.

Not sure what to call this pitch but I've used it a couple times now and it's solid. Obviously, pitch the low end into the wind. If the tarp has a mid-panel tieout all the better to pull it away from your feet.

Sean Rhoades

Locale: WV
tarp on 05/06/2012 21:39:11 MDT Print View

Good looking tarp man. Did you use Hysol only, or sewing as well?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: MYOG 8x7 cuben flat tarp - first time out on 05/06/2012 22:43:11 MDT Print View

Nice work, looks good

"Hysol is much more difficult to work with than I anticipated..."

Maybe it would be better to use tape? Even though it isn't as strong?

Maybe Hysol is better for smaller areas like reinforcement patches

Tyler H
(ctwnwood) - F

Locale: The Palouse
re: tarp on 05/06/2012 23:02:38 MDT Print View

So I used Hysol along the ridgeline and for the reinforcement patches. I sewed/hemmed the edges and sewed on the tie-outs. The corners have linlocs.

I would say yes, Hysol for the patches because it's no problem on the small areas. I did the whole ridgeline and clamped it. I left the boards clamped too long and it left particle board behind. Ugly.

I almost forgot, this thing weighs 5.5 oz without guylines. Kind of heavy for a cuben tarp but pretty much what I expected given that it's enormous and pretty beefy with the .74 oz cuben. You could fit two people under there too.