Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Climashield Apex needs quilting?

Display Avatars Sort By:
William Segraves
(sbill9000) - F - M
Climashield Apex needs quilting? on 05/05/2012 14:34:53 MDT Print View

Dear all,

For a basic quilt, have people found that Apex requires any quilting? Various references suggest that it requires much less quilting than other insulations, but I don't have a sense as to whether it will hold together well enough to get by without any.

Thanks!

Best,

Bill

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Climashield Apex needs quilting? on 05/05/2012 17:24:33 MDT Print View

all of the Apex quilts i have seen on here have been sewn around the perimeter only.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
Quilting, or Lack Thereof on 05/05/2012 21:27:19 MDT Print View

I didn't quilt the APEX "couples quilt" I put together for my brother-in-law last month. From handling the CS, I can say that it is a fairly "tough" insulation; it took enough pulling at scraps to break them up that I'm fairly confident it won't need quilting to stay in place. Just make sure you sew all four sides to the shell, that's all.

Easy-peasy.

Seth Brewer
(Whistler) - MLife

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com
Just the edges should be fine on 05/09/2012 18:28:17 MDT Print View

When I did a 2.5 Apex quilt (big one - around 50" x 90" I think..don't quote me..) with M50 and 5 mm silk last year and all I did was sew it around the four edges -- ended up with a 14.5 oz. monster quilt that is perfect to use in the late winter early spring with a bivy or net tent (had it down to 40* very comfortably with a fleece hat and almost no base layers -- it is very warm stuff even though it doesn't look like it).