Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Recommend tent for 5+ days of base camping
Display Avatars Sort By:
M L
(herzzreh)
Recommend tent for 5+ days of base camping on 05/05/2012 09:10:32 MDT Print View

I'm looking for suggestions for a tent that will be used for 5-10 days of base camping.

Using my pyramid for this long doesn't appeal to me, looking for something with a floor and bit more enclosed..

Only requirements are:

1) Roomy for three people
2) Under 5lbs or so, needs to be splitable between two people
3) Good ventilation as it will be mostly used in the summer

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE on 05/05/2012 10:03:15 MDT Print View

How about a Golite Shangri-la 5 ? Or is that similar to the pyramid you already have?

M L
(herzzreh)
it on 05/05/2012 11:22:42 MDT Print View

It is somewhat similar... Any other suggestions?

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: it on 05/05/2012 11:31:34 MDT Print View

tarptent hogback

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Recommend tent for 5+ days of base camping on 05/05/2012 13:27:37 MDT Print View

I'd also suggest the Tarptent Hogback (4-person) or Rainshadow (3-person). Maybe better than an extra large tent would be to take a lightweight tarp to set up over a separate cooking/eating area, which becomes the "living room" in case of rain. This keeps the cooking and eating area separated from the tent(s), a good idea if there are varmints (raccoons, skunks, mice, bear) in the area. It also means that one person can take a nap in the tent without being disturbed by conversation between the other two.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Base Camping? on 05/05/2012 13:38:57 MDT Print View

Where? Everest? Aconcagua? What time of year? You may want to offer up a bit more info.

For example I wouldn't take anything Tarptent makes into winds over 50mph.

M L
(herzzreh)
... on 05/05/2012 13:42:04 MDT Print View

No, not Everest. Mostly UK and northern Europe in the summer. Winds aren't too big of a concern.

I've settled either in SL5 or Nemo Pentalite with the wedge. Just can't pick which one...

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Recommend tent for 5+ days of base camping on 05/05/2012 18:38:18 MDT Print View

2) Under 5lbs or so, needs to be splitable between two people

I keep posting about this because it keeps coming up...
You can split the WEIGHT of any single item into two .
The tent is 6 pounds... you carry the tent and give 3 pounds of your gear to your mate...
Oddly I never see anyone asking for a stove for two that can be split into two.
Franco