Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
First MYOG project - longitudinal baffles quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alexey Pomortsev
(al.vic.pom) - F

Locale: The Stone Belt
First MYOG project - longitudinal baffles quilt on 05/05/2012 06:16:42 MDT Print View

Hi!

My first MYOG project is clearly inspired by Katabatic Gear quilts. It’s basically a Palisade Regular replica except it has longitudinal baffles and 2 oz overstuffing.
Some specs: total weight 540g / 19.0 oz of which 325g / 11.5 oz is 900 f.p. Thru-hiker’s down, ~155g / 5.5 oz Momentum 90T shell and liner, 15g / 0.5 oz Nanoseeum netting baffles, 45g / 1.6 oz everything else including the moisture down caught during stuffing.

Dimensions: liner length (fabric is differentially cut so shell dimensions differ) 1820mm / 71.7”, shoulder width 1270mm / 50.0”, foot girth 965mm / 38.0”. Baffle spacing is 130mm / 5.1” on the shell and 110-130mm / 4.3-5.1” on the liner. Baffle height decreases from 35mm / 1.4” for the three top baffles to 19mm / 0.7” on the backside.

Here pictures. Sorry for crappy quality. Photos were taken by phone.

Upside

Supposedly anatomical footbox

Footbox

Neck area

Neck

Back side

Back

Neck closure details

Closure

Graphics. Liner.

Liner

Shell

Shell

Section at the widest point

Section

Footbox cover

Footbox

I tried to design quilt pattern to optimally use whole width of fabric including the part cut to make a ‘backhole’. This material was used to make footbox covers. Hence the backhole shape.

Fabric before cutting

I started this project almost one year ago but given its complexity and total lack of sewing skills on my side run out of energy and time before hiking season started. So I postponed it and restarted only recently. I admit it wasn’t the brightest idea to begin MYOG from such a relatively complex project. If not helpful Roger Caffin’s article I probably would never complete it.

I initially planned to use orange Momentum 50 fabric for shell but changed my mind after first reports on BPL of lacking downproofness of M50. This decision costed me 26g / 0.9 oz of excessive weight. The weight could be decreased further down to ~490g / 17.3 oz if both the shell and the liner were made of Momentum 50.

Edited by al.vic.pom on 05/05/2012 06:19:52 MDT.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: First MYOG project - longitudinal baffles quilt on 05/05/2012 06:44:04 MDT Print View

Wow -- amazing. Thank you for the details.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: First MYOG project - longitudinal baffles quilt on 05/05/2012 08:12:46 MDT Print View

Alexey,

That is the most beautiful quilt I've ever seen! I wish I had your "lack of" sewing skills. Amazing work.

That will be warm, for sure.

Todd

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Nice on 05/05/2012 08:54:23 MDT Print View

Good looking quilt, I like the all black look and the large shoulder width- looks comfortable. Congrats on the myog success.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Nice on 05/05/2012 09:45:29 MDT Print View

Geez man. That is really good.

Ryan

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
Wow on 05/05/2012 10:39:58 MDT Print View

You should send photos of that quilt to an architecture or design magazine. It looks well-planned and warm, but it's also beautiful. Excellent work.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
excellent work ... on 05/05/2012 14:56:02 MDT Print View

I just started sewing about a month ago and often struggle with only a stuff sack. Sewing is tough. Your project is incredibly ambitious for a novice so well done. Looks as though it was professionally made. While I'm making stuff sacs and aprons, you're making complex quilts ... don't show me your second sewing project! Keep up the good work.

Alexey Pomortsev
(al.vic.pom) - F

open sourcing on 05/07/2012 03:24:05 MDT Print View

Thanks for kind words!

Mike R> While I'm making stuff sacs and aprons, you're making complex quilts ... don't show me your second sewing project!

Mike, my second sewing project will be... a stuff sack for this quilt :-) In this area you are ahead of me.

P.S. It took me so much time and effort to design patterns for this quilt that it would be a pity if only one piece of it was created. So if someone interested I can share the patterns in a form of a spreadsheet or alike. What do you think? Anybody interested?

Daniel Sandström
(sandstrom.dj)
Supernice on 05/07/2012 06:09:22 MDT Print View

Great job. Pretty courageous to go for a quilt right of the start, kudos.
Some myog projects do tend to drag out on time, but it's well worth it. :)

Supernice.

William Trimble
(wmjt22) - F
Re: open sourcing on 05/07/2012 12:20:20 MDT Print View

"P.S. It took me so much time and effort to design patterns for this quilt that it would be a pity if only one piece of it was created. So if someone interested I can share the patterns in a form of a spreadsheet or alike. What do you think? Anybody interested?"

That is a very impressive piece, you should be proud. If you would like to share the design patterns I know I'd be interested and am sure there are plenty of others who would be as well.

Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

Alexey Pomortsev
(al.vic.pom) - F

Sharing done on 05/16/2012 09:59:57 MDT Print View

I uploaded patterns for my quilt as a qear list PDF file. Unsure if it's against BPL rules... View my profile to see it. Short instructions how to sew the quilt are included on the last page. They are hardly really clear and understandable so I'm ready for answering questions.

By the way the 'technology' requires drawing patterns on a scale paper. Numbers are for 1 millimeter metric scale paper. I can recalculate it to 'imperial' units but I have no idea what are smalest grid spacing on a 'imperial' scale paper...

Edited by al.vic.pom on 05/16/2012 10:08:47 MDT.

Rob Daly
(rdaly) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
great work on 05/16/2012 13:42:22 MDT Print View

Awesome job Alexey!

Dion Dixon
(RangyMouse)

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.
Wow! on 05/16/2012 13:47:28 MDT Print View

That quilt looks fantastic. You say the footbox is "supposedly" anatomical? So, I take it did not work as intended? Looks pretty smart to me.

Laurie Gibson
(lagibson) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
outstanding contribution on 05/16/2012 20:16:47 MDT Print View

Alexey, thank you very much for sharing the pattern and instructions for your quilt!

Alexey Pomortsev
(al.vic.pom) - F

Footbox caption on 05/17/2012 09:33:47 MDT Print View

Dion, though I designed footbox size and shape using my own foots as a model (drawing several variants on scale paper and standing on these drawings trying to figure out the best one) at the moment I started this thread I didn't field tested the quilt yet. Hence the cautious caption. Since that I've found that footbox is as comfortable as I expected (especially for back sleeping).

Laurie Gibson
(lagibson) - MLife

Sharing done on 05/17/2012 12:18:31 MDT Print View

To address Alexey's question about grid spacing on imperial scale paper, I googled "pattern making paper" and found:

http://sewtrue.com/Store/60-Dotted-Marking-Paper-Per-Foot-P607.html

Item DPFT60 has markings that are one inch (1") apart.

Can Alexey convert his pattern numbers to use this paper (without too much trouble)?

Dion Dixon
(RangyMouse)

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.
Re: Footbox caption on 05/17/2012 16:12:16 MDT Print View

Nice. Well, fantastic job, I say.
Looks professionally made.

Alexey Pomortsev
(al.vic.pom) - F

Re: Sharing done on 05/18/2012 08:01:38 MDT Print View

Laurie Gibson> Item DPFT60 has markings that are one inch (1") apart.

Laurie, that's huge spacing! It is still applicable though but rather as reference grid for ordinary ruler I think... To give you a perspective the metric scale paper I used has thick grid lines 50mm (~2'') apart, thiner grid at 10mm (3/8''), even thiner grid with spacing of 5mm (3/16'') and thin minimal spacing grid of just 1mm (1/25'') apart. The widht of a roll is 850mm / almost 2' and the lenght is... I don't know how many meters. Enought for several years of MYOG probably.

So I updated the PDF file in my profile. Added new 'imperial pattern' pages after instructions list. The precision is 1/16''. Down distribution table in ounces is also included.

Laurie Gibson
(lagibson) - MLife

Re: Sharing done on 05/18/2012 11:39:02 MDT Print View

Alexey, many thanks for the imperial system conversion! Will continue searching for pattern paper with finer grid spacing.

Kevin Manley
(manleyk) - F - MLife

Locale: Denver-ish
WOW! on 06/13/2012 00:19:40 MDT Print View

That is beautiful! If you decide to make a few more, keep me posted, please. I don't have the skills to make that, even with the instructions.

Kevin