Forum Index » Gear Lists » Lumbar pack (augmented by Gossamer Gear RikSak) gear list

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Jones
(maniacjwj) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Lumbar pack (augmented by Gossamer Gear RikSak) gear list on 05/04/2012 10:30:39 MDT Print View

I had major back surgery fusing 3 vertebrate and held together by 6 big screws and 2 pins. I thought I would never backpack again until I read a thread on BackpackingLight that encouraged me to try a lumbar pack. I put most of my stuff in a MountainSmith Daylight and less than 3 lbs in a Gossamer Gear RikSak. I've also found that I don't want to cook at the end of the day and I just want to get going in the morning so my next trip I'm leaving my stove, fuel and cook pot at home.

I tried to paste my list but the formatting collapsed. Here is the link to my blog (see Friday May 4th gear list): www.hikingfreedom.com

James Winstead
(James_W)

Locale: CA
Re: Lumbar pack (augmented by Gossamer Gear RikSak) gear list" on 05/04/2012 13:45:22 MDT Print View

List looks good to me but I'm not really qualified to comment on the SUL side of this world.

Question though... do you use the shoulder strap on the lumbar pack? (with a recovering back injury, would this negate the whole point of your system?) Without straps, do you notice it flopping or bouncing around in any kind of irritating way?

Thanks

James Jones
(maniacjwj) - MLife

Shoulder straps on lumbar pack on 05/04/2012 15:04:53 MDT Print View

I don't use the shoulder straps because they would defeat my purpose. On the MountainSmith Daylight, there is a Delta Suspension System with load levelers. Basically, these additional straps can pull the top of the lumbar pack tight against my back.

I have found with carrying 10-11 pounds in a lumbar pack, the belt and load leveler straps slip over time so once I get them set real tight where I want them (extremely tight), I tie them off. It isn't according to design but neither is my use. I think I could use safety pins or something like that to keep the straps from loosening.

Edited by maniacjwj on 05/04/2012 15:05:44 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Shoulder straps on lumbar pack on 05/04/2012 17:15:34 MDT Print View

http://www.checklistcamping.com/2012/01/16/super-ultralight-backpacking-trip/

James Jones
(maniacjwj) - MLife

Thanks Anna!! on 05/04/2012 17:46:02 MDT Print View

This video is great. I'm sure I'll adopt most of his ideas

Edited by maniacjwj on 05/04/2012 18:00:55 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Lumbar pack (augmented by Gossamer Gear RikSak) gear list on 05/05/2012 09:58:37 MDT Print View

Nice James! I look forward to perusing your blog too.

I'm glad you adapted your gear so that you can enjoy the trail!

Todd

James Jones
(maniacjwj) - MLife

Mountainsmith Daylight and RikSak on 05/05/2012 10:03:56 MDT Print View

Absolutely Todd. It is so worth it. My blog records the up and downs of trying to figure out if there is a way I can keep backpacking.