Forum Index » GEAR » Suggestions for a trail running/adventure racing pack?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Rush on 05/07/2012 14:19:38 MDT Print View

I have the 10L and mine didnt come with a bladder. Also, I can reach the bottles in my pack while I wear it, however I have to try a bit hard to get them back in, especially on my weaker left side.

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Locale: Southern Maine
Thanks again :) on 05/07/2012 19:56:10 MDT Print View

Thanks again everyone for chiming in. I decided to go with the Salomon XA 20. I ended up snagging one for $57 shipped on the bay. It seemed to have the best balance of features I was looking for. That said, I went out on a trail run today and ended up ripping my Camelbak Octane XCR when the bungee cord on the back snagged. I always wished for just a hair more storage in that, so I'm going to look into one of the more vest oriented packs discussed her, probably either a Nathan or a Salomon Skin.

Greg F
(GregF) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Golite? on 05/07/2012 20:35:18 MDT Print View

Rob,

The Rush 10 has a strap which runs from the front of the pack just above the water bottle holders connecting to the hipbelt. This strap allows you to compress the pack the bottom half of the pack This strap appears to be the same as on the 20. The 8 does not have this strap. By tightening this strap it really locks the pack to your back. There is also the draw string on the back which can be used to provide a limited amount of crompression.

I find it difficult to get the water bottles back in but i only have 5 or 6 runs in the pack and it is getting easier. My rush 10 bought in this current sale did come with a 3 l bladder.

Edited by GregF on 05/07/2012 20:36:19 MDT.

Rob Jones
(robj)

Locale: Washington, D.C.
Re: Re: Golite? on 05/07/2012 23:04:39 MDT Print View

Thanks for the follow up Greg. Had a coupon so ordered both the 10L and 20L Rush to compare. Might keep both, the 10L for runs/racing/shorter stuff and the 20L for day to overnight hikes.

Also the thread on the emergency bivy kit has been informational....

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Locale: SoCal
Aaron on 05/12/2012 20:47:07 MDT Print View

What is the torso length on the Salomon pack? That was the one thing I was worried about when I found that pack (courtesy of someone here on BPL). Does the pack have any frame structure or is it a frameless pack? Thanks for the reply.

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Salomon Details on 05/13/2012 05:27:42 MDT Print View

Hi Warren,

The torso length is 17". This is a little short depending on your preference. Also, it is a frameless pack with just a slightly rigid foam back panel. I haven't gone out for a run in it yet, but have loaded it up and run up and down the stairs a few times to see how stable it is and it seems like it will be very comfortable. The pack sits a little high on the back (I have an 18" torso), but not any higher than most hydration packs that are designed for running. My fiancee is in LOVE with it though and I have a feeling she will end up commandeering it for any day hikes we do...lol I also ended up taking my Camelbak back to EMS for an exchange. Wound up settling on the Osprey Raptor 10. It's a little heavier than I'm sure most here would like for a pack that size. I haven't put it on my scale yet, but spec weight with the bladder IIRC is 1lb 11oz. However, it's frame sheet and foam back panel are both removable, along with some other misc things I don't need, like a helmet holder, so there is room to shave a few ounces if I want. That said though, this thing so ridiculously stable. A quick tryout with a full 100oz bladder and a couple items loaded showed virtually no bouncing or shifting. It just hugs me perfectly. I have this coming Tuesday off and if I can get a break in the rain, I'm going to try it out on run along the Pemi out to Thoreau Falls. Not sure which pack I will try out first, but I'll keep you posted.

Aaron

Rob Jones
(robj)

Re: Salomon Details on 05/13/2012 08:23:10 MDT Print View

Warren - I have my excellent condition XA 20 listed here on GS :-)

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
raptor on 05/13/2012 08:27:20 MDT Print View

does the Raptor come w/ a HydraForm? I really like those bladders for using in any pack as that I find lacking in rigidity- adds just enough so the pack isn't a loose sack

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Yes on 05/13/2012 08:52:35 MDT Print View

Hi Mike,

Yes, it does come with a HyroForm bladder. The Raptor 6 comes with a 70oz bladder, while the Raptor 10 and larger versions come with a 100oz bladder. I'm liking the design of it so far. The bladder is sandwiched between the stiff foam back panel and a semi-rigid plate which all combine to keep the bladder under pressure. All you have to do is bite down to get water, no suction required.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
hydraform on 05/13/2012 08:59:09 MDT Print View

ahh- good deal, also really like the little magnet for the bite valve :)

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

re:magnet on 05/13/2012 09:07:38 MDT Print View

Agreed! Used to drive me nuts having to wrap the tube on my Camelbak around the sternum strap to keep it from flopping up in my face.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Thanks on 05/13/2012 16:37:09 MDT Print View

Aaron,

Thanks for the comments on the Salomon pack. You may be aware that I settled on the Osprey Hornet 24. I'm pretty happy with that pack and the 18.5" torso fits my 19" torso pretty good. Those packs with shorter torso's fit me too high and I bet the Salomon, though a great looking and light weight offering may be a little too short for me. Was the same problem with the REI Stoke 19 but much shorter even than that. Good info for me and others I would assume as well.

Rob, thanks for letting me know about your offering. Curious why you are selling already?

Rob Jones
(robj)

re: Salomon on 05/13/2012 19:17:57 MDT Print View

Warren - well besides a gear addiction problem, I picked up a slightly larger Golite Rush 20L to use as a daypack and the smaller Rush 10L to try out. I wanted something with dedicated side bottle pockets. The Salomon's side mesh pockets really didn't fit the bill. I use an electrolyte-replacement drink as well as a protein-based drink on my longer runs, hence the need for bottles.

Warren Greer
(WarrenGreer) - F

Thanks on 05/13/2012 22:11:43 MDT Print View

Ya, gotcha. Looking at solo shelters now! I also looked at the Rush 20 and that is a pretty good deal dollar wise. Curious once you use it a bit to hear what you think of it. Probably could have gone with it just as easy (as the Hornet 24).