Forum Index » GEAR » Help me choose a sleeping bag please

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Klaus
(WWhermit) - F

Locale: So Cal
Help me choose a sleeping bag please on 05/02/2012 18:21:55 MDT Print View

I tried quilts, really tried them, but they just didn’t work for me. I need to go back to sleeping bags. Please help me decide between the two. Temps for me will rarely get down past 35 degrees. I mostly hike around the PCT around San Bernardino and Angeles mountains. My pack for overnights or weends is a Talon 44, longer than that is a Gregory Z65. Will be sleeping in a tent with a Prolite Plus, maybe soon a Neo Air All Season. I sleep rather warmly. The two contestants:

Western Mountaineering Summerlite:

http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=69

Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger #3

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=796&p_id=2321139

Price: $340 for both

Weight: WM is 19oz, MB is 22oz

Montbell is super stretchy inside, great for a side and tossy-turney sleeper like me.
I’ve seen the WM Summerlite pack down to the size of a Nalgene bottle, and it’s 3 ounces lighter.

Anyone used either, or both, and have some insight that may help me decide?

WWhermit

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
sleeping bag on 05/02/2012 19:26:30 MDT Print View

I had a Summerlite- great bag, great fit/finish- was simply too small for me, it's a rather tight cut- if your smaller (or maybe even medium-ish) probably will be fine, if you're a little larger than you'll likely find it tight.

One other bag to look at is the Marmot Helium, quality down and workmanship, but cut much more fully

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
choices on 05/02/2012 20:50:42 MDT Print View

The montbell is $294 at Prolitegear.com
If you are slim you can get a feathered friends Merlin on clearance from Prolitegear for $264. It is only a 58" girth bag, summerlite is 59"

Both will be warmer than the summerlite, which EN tested at 35F , the Merlin is likely 25-28F in reality with 12oz down, 23oz total.

They also have the Osprey on clearance for $279, its bigger and about 27 oz I think

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Megalite on 05/02/2012 20:51:31 MDT Print View

I have a WM Megalite regular B/C it has more shoulder girth. I'm 5' 10" with a 42" chest and it fits me fine. I like it because I can easily wear insulated clothing in it and not feel confined and not squeeze the bag's insulation.

Also the Megalite is good as a quilt on hot nights when unzipped and spread over a mattress. I tuck the foot of my TR Prolite pad in the foot of the Megalite and the bag stays put all night. It's very comfortable that way - almost like sleeping at home.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: summerlite on 05/02/2012 21:16:03 MDT Print View

I've been very happy with my summerlite down to 30F. If weight is a deciding factor though, mine comes in over spec at 21 oz, so not as big a difference there as you might think.

brandon reynolds
(brandonreynolds85)

Locale: Rocky Mountains
summerlite on 05/03/2012 19:04:27 MDT Print View

i have the ultralite... you cant get much better than WM