Leather lash tabs?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Leather lash tabs? on 05/02/2012 16:54:55 MDT Print View

Does anyone know where to source leather lash tabs for attaching accessory straps, you know, like the ones found on old canvas packs?

I need approx 4.

I have found plastic sewable lash tabs, but not real leather tabs.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Leather lash tabs? on 05/02/2012 17:06:24 MDT Print View

isn't that going to add weight? ;) i kid i kid!!

you could email JanSport. they use them for their packs.

like on the top corner of this?
http://jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=16&pid=TVU2

Edited by JakeDatc on 05/02/2012 17:07:49 MDT.

Ray Bailly
(tempestv) - F
making tabs on 05/02/2012 17:50:37 MDT Print View

Couldn't you get a piece of leather and cut them yourself?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Leather lash tabs?" on 05/02/2012 18:08:02 MDT Print View

Thanks for the ideas fellas.

Cutting up some of my own leather tabs was an idea that crossed my mind, but I know nothing about working with leather, tooling, etc. I'll look into it, maybe it's straight forward. I want the punch outs for the straps to be clean, no hack jobs.

Jake, I'll browse for an old school backpack and see if I can scalp what I need.

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: "Leather lash tabs?" on 05/02/2012 18:44:40 MDT Print View

Maybe Rivendell Mountain Works will sell you some of their dumbell-shaped lash tabs, but I'm not sure if this style is quite what you are looking for...

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Let me know on 05/03/2012 06:30:19 MDT Print View

Eugene,

If you get stuck, let me know. I can make a couple up for you to what ever size you need, and post them over.

Standard currency is a six pack, but in this case, you'll have to drink them. I'm pretty sure it's not practical to post them this way!!

Mark Dijkstra
(Markacd) - F
Leather on 05/03/2012 07:03:04 MDT Print View

Leather is quite easy to work with. You can simply cut it in any shape you like with a stanley knife or something similar and if necessary yu can make the edges smoother with any smooth round surface (not sandpaper!). I use the handle of my stanley knife to smoothe the edges. For corners I'd suggest that you punch a round hole first with special pliers. For sewing you may need to punch the holes first with a nail and then sew it by hand. Alternatively you can just ask a shoemaker or saddlemaker to sew the leather for you.