Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » BPL Blog?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
BPL Blog? on 05/02/2012 09:37:23 MDT Print View

Just discovered in the BPL menu that a BPL blog is in the works. Hmm. I'm really wondering, as someone who has blogged for 8 years, what exactly this is going to entail, and what it means for the survival of the magazine, especially since they are soliciting posts. How exactly is this going to be sustainable with simultaneous magazine articles and forum posts going on?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: BPL Blog? on 05/02/2012 09:52:37 MDT Print View

It does seem like a blog format would be less attractive to get others to post than to a website, but I could be wrong. The blog may be commercialized easier to bring in money from google or other ad sources.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Not likely on 05/02/2012 14:21:39 MDT Print View

Months ago, I sent an enquiry and a writing sample to the email listed. Not only did I not get a rejection, I never got a reply at all. As with so much else here lately, believe it when you see it and not before.

Edited by spelt on 05/02/2012 14:23:47 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
bloggo. on 05/02/2012 14:41:56 MDT Print View

Yes, there will be a full-featured BPL blog rolled out shortly, with daily articles by Dr. Ryan Jordan, exhaustive gear reviews, trip reports galore, etc. To access it, please buy MLife memberships for yourself and at least six friends and/or family members.*

* Also, BPL is now stocking BPL-brand Swamplands in the Gear Store.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: BPL Blog? on 05/02/2012 15:48:14 MDT Print View

Another example that BPL does not know what it want to be when it grows up. I have written RJ personally about this.

He is in a real awkward situation right now. He of course responded that he is aware and asked for our continued patience.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: BPL Blog? on 05/02/2012 16:38:30 MDT Print View

It's been there for months.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
wandering adolescence on 05/02/2012 16:59:50 MDT Print View

Personal issues aside, there's a contradiction inherent in trying to run a business promoting philosophical minimalism (not just minimum pack weight) in a capitalist economy focused on continual growth. I get the impression Ryan has become disenchanted with gram counting and endless acquisition and might be trying to figure out how to keep BPL solvent while moving away from gear-centric consumerism.

Then again, I don't know the guy. This is just the impression I get from some of his more recent writing. But if that's indeed the case, I sympathize with his dilemma. Sustainable practices are a lot harder to work out than pure customer-driven business models.

The continued radio silence is pretty annoying, though.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
BPL Blog? on 05/02/2012 17:12:50 MDT Print View

Not too sure why we need the blog when we have the forum. Just another place to scatter information!

BER ---
(BER) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
BPL Blog on 05/02/2012 17:15:58 MDT Print View

When in doubt, you could just pay $25 PER MONTH for email letters directly from RJ, at least according to his web site. And people complain that membership here may not be worth it. Wonder how that's working out for the subscribers...

Edited by BER on 05/02/2012 17:17:08 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
BPL Blog on 05/02/2012 17:34:16 MDT Print View

That would be the new MLAP membership level, eh Brian?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: BPL Blog on 05/02/2012 18:16:16 MDT Print View

Mlap, is that one worh free Kool aid?

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
MLAP on 05/02/2012 18:31:18 MDT Print View

No, but it is all singing and all dancing.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: MLAP on 05/02/2012 19:24:57 MDT Print View

Hey heh, Daddy is back in the building.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL Blog? on 07/06/2013 11:17:18 MDT Print View

Nothing new in over 6 months. No update here either. Typical. Is the experiment over? Can't get people to submit any kind of quality material? Spread himself too thin.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: BPL Blog? on 07/06/2013 20:32:44 MDT Print View

Be fair Ken. You know he is working on his Kickstarter packrafting project. Can't tell you how that is going, since I didn't donate.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: BPL Blog? on 07/06/2013 20:49:33 MDT Print View

Shockingly I did not either. Maybe he's busy helping Hendrik get those ULAZ episodes done too. This I what I mean about spreading himself too thin. I wonder how many submissions were sent in during Ryan's last request here?