WTB(orrow): Bearikade Expedition Cannister
Display Avatars Sort By:
McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
WTB(orrow): Bearikade Expedition Cannister on 05/02/2012 08:14:46 MDT Print View

Posted this over in general gear discussion but got no response:

I'm hiking the John Muir Trail this summer and would rather not purchase a bear can for what will (probably) be a one-time hike. I live in Alabama and don't anticipate using one ever again. So, can I borrow yours? I know I can rent them from various places but I'd rather borrow one in advance so I can take it on some trial hikes. Plus, I'd rather repay a fellow BP-er with goodies rather than merely fork over some shekels.

I can provide collateral and references, and I promise to take care of it. I'll return it to you with goodies inside after I've finished my hike in August. If you've got one gathering dust in your closet, let me take the little fella out for a saunter.

I'll also consider buying one used if nobody feels like lending theirs out. Thanks.

Vincent Gillette
(olzeke)

Locale: PNW
Bear Vault 500 on 05/02/2012 08:36:02 MDT Print View

I have a spare BV 500 I could loan out, if that suits you. I live in Oregon, so shipping might be a bit more than someone closer, but it is still no big deal.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
Rent on 05/02/2012 13:38:36 MDT Print View

Not sure if you saw this: https://www.wild-ideas.net/rent.html

Nathan Lare
(cirque) - MLife
Available: BearVault 300 on 05/02/2012 13:42:22 MDT Print View

If it helps, I have a BearVault 300 (same as the 500, but a previous generation) that is available. I live in Ohio.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/containers.htm

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm (list of allowed containers in bullet #1)

Edited by cirque on 05/03/2012 10:39:16 MDT.

Vincent Gillette
(olzeke)

Locale: PNW
One thing to keep in mind about the BV 300 on 05/02/2012 14:05:53 MDT Print View

Last I saw, the 300 was not approved for Yosemite, or the Muir trail. The 500, and the shorter 450, have a big red circle on top of the lid, and those are the only ones approved for now. Yeah, I had to buy 2 BV 500s last year when I was hiking the Muir myself. Had 2 previous models at home already. So, to the OP, make sure you borrow something that is approved.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: WTB(orrow): Bearikade Expedition Cannister on 05/02/2012 14:53:37 MDT Print View

You can rent a bear can from the Park Service to do the JMT. The one they have is the Garcia Backpackers'Cache 812, which is similar volume to the BV500, but slightly heavier.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanrentals.htm

If you still want to buy a BV500, PM me. I have one that I bought that I am returning. If you're interested, I would sell it to you for a fair price.

Susan

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
expedition on 05/03/2012 14:50:23 MDT Print View

I'm rather set on the Expedition so I'm going to keep looking, but I much appreciate all of your offers and info.

Robert Perkins
(rp3957)

Locale: The Sierras
WTB(orrow): Bearikade Expedition Cannister on 05/03/2012 21:54:46 MDT Print View

Buy one and then sell it here when your done if you don't plan on needing it again for the Sierras. they hold their value very well as you can tell by the lack of responses and cost of what people sell them for WHEN they actually sell them, which is rare. FWIW my Bearikade Weekender, while expensive, was one of the best purchases I have made since most of my hiking is in the Sierras. I do recommend the rental option as well. I don't think Wild ideas even charges for the time your not using it during shipping and returning.

R S
(rps76) - F
Re: expedition on 05/03/2012 23:28:16 MDT Print View

I have a Bare Boxer Champ you can borrow. I truly have no need for it this year. I live in Colorado but I'm sure shipping isn't that much.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
RE bear canister on 05/04/2012 00:11:05 MDT Print View

I have a Garcia you can use, I loaned it out to a fellow BPL member last year for the same reason, or it might have been for the PCT, I can't remember. It has reflective tape on it so you can find it at night. I'll pay the shipping one way, if you just pay the shipping to get it home.

Jack