Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Does Such a Shoe Exist
Display Avatars Sort By:
Alan henson
(355spider) - F

Locale: DFW
Might help on 05/03/2012 14:38:35 MDT Print View

I was thinking maybe a solution to the problem would be to add a stiff orthotic insert into a shoe with a normal bottom. Much like framing a backpack. Foot levelers makes a good one.

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA
Adding othotics atop orthotics on 05/03/2012 16:06:56 MDT Print View

It's a cool idea. But it's already tough enuff to find shoes with sufficient space inside to accommodate my prescription orthotics and my foot. Something thin would work, like 16-gauge steel, but it would be pretty darn heavy.

Eric Marcano
(ericm) - M

Locale: Southcentral Texas
Teva Sear eVent on 05/05/2012 19:15:39 MDT Print View

I just saw these at Marshall's for 29 bucks in my size. I'm gonna have to go back and get them. Wide toe box, nice heel lift, fairly thick and stiff sole, and, yes, waterproof, BUT...they're eVent. Not sure how much of a difference that'll make but for that price who cares. They're pretty cheap online as well as may be worth a peek.

John Almond
(FLRider) - F

Locale: The Southeast
cannot be blank on 05/05/2012 21:21:58 MDT Print View

I'm probably going to get laughed out of the site for even suggesting this, but...

Have you thought about the Vietnam-style GI jungle boot? Very stiff sole (most of 'em have a steel plate in there), great tread, very breathable upper, drainable footbed. Heavy as sin, and probably too much ankle support, but...

Anyway, it's a thought.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: cannot be blank on 05/05/2012 21:51:48 MDT Print View

"Very stiff sole (most of 'em have a steel plate in there)"

Most of the time we don't worry about punji stakes anymore.

--B.G.--

Robert Cowman
(rcowman) - F

Locale: Canadian Rockies
Re: Does Such a Shoe Exist on 05/05/2012 21:57:02 MDT Print View

Vasque breeze and Scree

Garmont Zenith

all have no GTX and come with stiffer shanks.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Adding othotics atop orthotics on 05/06/2012 02:16:55 MDT Print View

> Something thin would work, like 16-gauge steel, but it would be pretty darn heavy.
0.8 mm Ti 6Al4V !

Cheers

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Salomon Tech Amphibian on 05/06/2012 02:17:27 MDT Print View

Jack,

cue the singing angels...

The shoe you need to check out is the Salomon Tech Amphibian. This is one of my all time favorite shoes and I have about 5 pair in my closet as we speak (or as i write, LOL). I think they are up to version 3 now, but IMO the original is still the best, although it may be hard to find. Be that as it may, version 2 is good and available as well.

Salomon techamphibian shoe

Because it's a water shoe, the upper is mesh and drains quickly and then dries out fast as well. And because it's also a land shoe (hence the name), the sole is very stiff, supportive and well lugged. It's also very light weight.

I usually wear a Superfeet or gel insole OTC orthotic in mine depending on what I'm doing and haven't had any problem. So your custom orthotics should be okay, but you may need to go up one-half size like any shoe.

I wear mine for a variety of activities, international touring, light runs, biking, day-hiking and backpacking.

Check them out!

singing angels fade out....

Edited by veganaloha on 05/06/2012 02:20:33 MDT.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
I heard the angels sing! on 05/06/2012 08:43:50 MDT Print View

WOW.

Susan, the shoes look great. Thanks for posting the picture.
I need to replace my ratty-looking fivefinger sprints so I just ordered a pair.

Hey, Other Jack, have you found anything yet? The input here has been great!

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Saving My Pennies, first on 05/06/2012 08:53:39 MDT Print View

The comments here have indeed been great. And I thank everyone for their contributions. Now I have a list of candidates.

Have not gone shopping, yet, deeply buried in some serious work on my 1984 VW Westfalia pop-top camper van (replacing the radiator, pulling the dash to service the heater box, etc.) and that's taking precedence because my son and I have a car camping trip scheduled for next weekend. But the weekend after that will be the first backpacking trip of the season and shoe hunting will start in earnest. If the rumors are true that REI will be issuing a 20% off coupon for members on May 18 then I might hold of an actual purchase until then.

Jack Elliott
(JackElliott) - F

Found the Shoe - SCORE! on 05/11/2012 13:28:56 MDT Print View

REI has a perfect shoe for me: very stiff sole, breathable, fast-drying. The "Newport H2" by Keen. Priced at $99, the fellow said it would be going on sale for $69 shortly, showed me the as-yet-unmailed flyer. I said, "Darn, I'm going on a hike this weekend!" He said, "No problem. Buy the shoe now and when it's on sale bring back the receipt and we'll refund the difference."

Score!

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/men/waterfront/newport%20h

Amelia Ward
(award3) - F
Re: Does Such a Shoe Exist on 06/16/2012 15:01:01 MDT Print View

My husband is having similar problems finding a boot. Everyone has waterproof and gortex lined boots. Today we found a boot that we think will meet his need. He wears a 10 1/2 wide and these do not come in wide but the 11 seems to fit well. He has not field tested it yet; but has been wearing around the house and yard and so far is happy. Her is the link to the shoe and it's reviews. I hope this helps. We will update after some field testing. It is the Merrell Sawtooth boot. http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/7987M/0/Mens/Sawtooth

Scott Henderson
(Scott_Henderson) - F
Vasque Velocity 2.0 and Scree on 06/17/2012 00:51:53 MDT Print View

The Vasque Velocity 2.0 has a mesh upper and a light Vibram sole. It comes in D and EE widths. Not for you, but there is also a GTX model. The footbed is not very padded so a gel type insole may be helpful.

I also like the Vasque Catalyst (discontinued) for talus & scree. It has a sticky rubber sole. I haven't seen it in person, but the Vasque Scree sure looks like a replacement for the Catalyst. It comes in low and mid models. There is a "water proof" version, too.

jeff berkman
(jberkman) - MLife
Hoka One One for Hallux Limitus on 04/24/2014 13:46:29 MDT Print View

The best shoe I found for Hallux Limitus or Rigidus for hiking is the Hoka One One, specific model being: HOKA Mafate 3

It has an extremely thick sole and rocking bottom. They are light and breath well.