Ideas for MYOG summer quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Ideas for MYOG summer quilt on 05/01/2012 12:30:48 MDT Print View

I recently completed my first quilt project. Details can be seen here,

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=63312

While the finished product is far from perfect the quilt will do just fine for warm weather trips and if I get a season or two out of it I'll be happy. I'm planning another though and would appreciate any input the MYOG folks might have.

For my next quilt I'm planning to use a combination of M50 and .34 oz cuben for the shell and 5mm silk as the liner with 2.5 Apex insulation. Im not sure yet if I'll do a drawcord or a sewn footbox like the one in the photos at the above link. The head end will have a snap and a drawcord. I'll also add some grosgrain loops and shock cord to hold the quilt around myself.

Quilt Questions:

What I'm wondering is if the water/windproof capability and weight savings gained by using cuben are worth the extra effort, and is the lightweight cuben durable enough to be used this way. Also, I've read that bonding may be a better option than sewing when using .34 cuben. Is there an effective way to bond cuben and M50 or should I go with needle and thread?

Any thoughts/ideas? Here's a rough idea of what I'd like to doApex 2.5 with M50/Cuben shell and silk liner,

Edited by brucetbo on 05/01/2012 19:24:02 MDT.

Dustin Short
(upalachango) - MLife
Re: Ideas for MYOG summer quilt on 05/02/2012 00:08:32 MDT Print View

Why are you using cuben specifically? Water resistance is great for down, but not nearly as beneficial for synthetics (pretty much the main benefit for using synthetics at all).

The cuben strips will not breathe, so they will act as a vapor barrier liner. Essentially your body sweat will be trapped in the insulation anyway using cuben. This is ok for sub-freezing temps, but for a summer quilt it will be miserably hot and sticky for most people.

M50 is supposed to be pretty good with regards to wind protection, yet still breathable so this gives it the edge over cuben. With a quilt drafts will be your biggest issue anyway and material doesn't help with that anyway.

A larger tarp or a tarp/bivy combo will solve any concerns with wind/water exposure and provide added comfort and flexibility.

So basically using cuben probably won't net you much. It'll be more of a pain to work on since you'll have multiple panels, and the extra thread/tape used will probably negate the weight savings of using a .34oz vs .67oz fabric on small panels. Add to that subjective decrease in comfort and I'd say stick with the simple but effective design everyone else uses! I do like using silk for the liner though!

bruce thibeault
(brucetbo) - M

Locale: New England
Less weight, more weather resistant on 05/02/2012 05:13:46 MDT Print View

Thanks for your comments Dustin.

On breathability: I thought that by using cuben only on the outer edges and M50 down the center I would still achieve adequate breathability. I certainly dont want the VB effect in a summer quilt.

The main reason I considered cuben however was the reduced weight. I suspected the weight of the thread/tape/seam allowances might negate the minimal weight savings.

I was surprised with the comfort of the silk liner when I made my first quilt. I like it much better than the nylon taffeta in my Mountain Hardwear bag.