Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:19:38 MDT Print View

Being that sil-nylon stretches, I'm guessing it would be best to reinforce cuben with cuben.

However, with vain rearing its ugly head, I'm hesitant to use cuben as the only extra cuben I have to make reinforcing with is yellow...and the cuben I'm wanting to reinforce is a light green. And, those two colors together, I'm shamefully going to say, would be...well, ugly. A guy has to have some pride! Any way, I do have some black sil-nylon that would at least be the same color as the zipper, stitching and tie-outs.

The reinforced area I'm talking about would only about 1" square...right at the top of a zipper.

What do the MYOGers here on BPL think?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:32:43 MDT Print View

I'd stick with something that doesn't stretch. If it's not cuben, perhaps tyvek?

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:39:49 MDT Print View

What materials do you have? Any polyester will work.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:42:17 MDT Print View

Polyester still stretches, as does all woven fabrics.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:48:34 MDT Print View

Polyester has minimal stretch. I suppose if you pull on the bias, you will get stretch with any purely woven.

Dimension Polyant materials will work. The PET film eliminates stretch.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:50:18 MDT Print View

Michael,

I may have some thin cordura-like material. I also have some wide grosgrain.

I just had the thought that I could reinforce the underside with the yellow cuben then reinforce the same area again on top (to cover up the uglyness of the yellow & green cuben) with the black sil-nylon or grosgrain...or the thin cordura-like stuff if I could find it.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:55:35 MDT Print View

I don't see any problem with that.

To my understanding, the problem with stretch vs no stretch with cuben is that the nylon would not offer as much reinforcement due to the stretch. I think it is more of a problem on silnylon with cuben backing, as it will pull the stitching. Again this is just my understanding. But if you reinforce with cuben then have nylon over the top, the nylon would essentially act only as a cover with a little reinforcement. You shouldn't experience any rips or anything like that I would assume.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:57:09 MDT Print View

Even if you pull along the fibers, it will stretch because of the loops. It may not be much, but it'll still stretch before the cuben.

The PET film is a good idea, but I have to wonder how much more effective it would be than plain mylar. I think it'd help much more if it's bonded to the cuben.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 09:59:02 MDT Print View

Thanks, guys!

What is this "PET film" being referred to though?

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 10:06:09 MDT Print View

Plain mylar would not offer that much support. It stretches and doesn't heal. I have some TX07 and it has little to no stretch.

PET:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate

It is what the outside of cuben fiber is. Cuben is mylar-dyneema-mylar. It's a waterproof film. Dimension Polyant uses it as a laminate to waterproof their fabric, and I suppose to eliminate stretch.

Edited by mpd1690 on 05/01/2012 10:07:34 MDT.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 13:06:40 MDT Print View

Thanks!

Another thought I had: Does anyone have a scrap piece of black cuben they'd part with? A 3" square piece, or thereabouts, would be plenty. I could Paypal the cost of postage.

Steve B
(geokite) - F

Locale: Southern California
Kevlar on 05/01/2012 13:18:17 MDT Print View

For serious reinforcement, I'd use adhesive backed kevlar fabric. I used to get it from Hang-em High Fabrics (website was down at the time of this post, but the owner turns off the server when she goes out of town, so try again later). Very tough stuff and sewable.

Steve

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Insignia Cloth or Tape? on 05/01/2012 13:54:19 MDT Print View

I like insignia tape or cloth for reinforcing just about anything. Haven't actually used it on cuben, however. I have used it on coated and uncoated nylon, closed cell foam, waist belts, etc. Goes on easily and wears well. Has little if any stretch.

here

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/01/2012 15:38:40 MDT Print View

Cuban on cuban.
Silnylon will not provide much support at all.
Colour? Who cares in the dark?

Cheers

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/02/2012 08:55:40 MDT Print View

"Colour? Who cares in the dark?"

I know, Roger, I know. I feel silly fretting over it...especially being that I'm strongly in favor of practicality. But then there's the little devilish artistic side of me that wants esthetics too. I don't care what other people think of my gear but I do like it to appeal to my personal taste.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Reinforcing cuben with sil-nylon? on 05/02/2012 16:10:47 MDT Print View

> But then there's the little devilish artistic side of me that wants esthetics too.
So get creative and hem the whole green thing in yellow?

Cheers

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Aesthetics on 05/03/2012 06:36:30 MDT Print View

Rusty,

Don't listen to Roger. Look at what he's wearing.

Buy or beg yourself a couple of scraps of cuben. Green and yellow do not go.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Aesthetics on 05/03/2012 07:02:49 MDT Print View

Ask our MYOG crowd. They have come through for me more than once. Also ask a manufacturer. Good PR.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Aesthetics on 05/03/2012 08:52:40 MDT Print View

"Don't listen to Roger. Look at what he's wearing".

Haha...yeah, that is somewhat questionable and difficult on the eyes!

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Re: Aesthetics on 05/03/2012 08:55:37 MDT Print View

"Ask our MYOG crowd. They have come through for me more than once".

Thanks! I did just that in a post above in this thread. One member already emailed that he may have something. If that falls through, I'll give it a couple days then start a new thread asking for a scrap piece.