Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Modified NorthernLite Snow Shoes

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
Modified NorthernLite Snow Shoes on 02/15/2007 11:54:35 MST Print View

A month or so ago someone posted on another web site a modification for his NorthernLite Snow Shoes.
I don't remember if he said why he did this but I saved his pictures. He replaced the rubber like straps with two pieces of webbing to hold his shoes/boots.

In the last Podcast from Andrew's "Icebox" hike he mentioned a problem with his NorthernLite Snow Shoes. He said that in the below "0" temperatures the rubber like stuff got so stiff they were really hard to fasten.

Anyway when I heard him mention this I thought about the webbing used to replace those rubber like straps.

I had a two-pack of the "Coghlan's - Sleeping bag Straps". It took me about 15 minutes to make this modification. The new strap system makes putting my shoes on quick and easy.

Jan Rezac
(zkoumal) - MLife

Locale: Prague, CZ
Re: Modified NorthernLite Snow Shoes on 02/15/2007 15:04:29 MST Print View

Hi Bill,
According to my experience with snowshoe binding I made in a very similar way some time ago, I must war you of using the straps.
The periodical stress at each step is able to losen the fasteners surprisingly fast. I ended up tightening the binding every five minutes or so at the end of a day, as both the straps and the fasteners worn out a bit.
I'd recommen only a very coarse strap combined with quality fastener.
After that lesson, I rebuilt the bindings to use a lace. This setup was a bit difficult to use in low temps as it required putting the gloves off.
Finally, I've developed great fastener to be used on a narrow strap, that can be easily operated in gloves. It's similar to the system used on crampons, but adds a pullout for easy losening.

Here comes a picture:

I satrted with two metal rings, but they were too slick. I replaced one by a large washer, and the sharper edge now holds perfectly.

Edited by zkoumal on 02/15/2007 15:32:13 MST.