The "naughty" heavy luxury items that you just don't wanna leave behind!
Display Avatars Sort By:
christopher smead
(hamsterfish) - MLife

Locale: hamsterfish
No flavor issues on 05/17/2012 10:23:22 MDT Print View

I actually use the wine preservation version of the platypus for that reason. Tastes great.

I carefully ration it so I can enjoy a little every night :)

Dan Cherry
(risingsun) - F

Locale: Northern Arizona
Balvenie... my thoughts exactly on 05/17/2012 18:04:09 MDT Print View

I have also been known to take most of a bottle of Balvenie on a week-long hike. I store mine in a couple 350mL Nalgene flasks, though. Heavier, but I don't want to lose that precious stuff. Rationing is key.

Took the cribbage board and a deck of cards on the last 7-day hike since we had a layover day on day 5. It got a fair amount of use between three of us.

iPod always goes for times in the night when I can't sleep.

Fishing gear when there will be opportunities. I have carried fishing gear on a 7-day hike even when I knew there would only be one good day's opportunity. But the fish in seldom-angled locations are always so fun. I have hauled a dozen nightcrawlers to locations unknown - a quarter of a Walmart nightcrawler is irresistable to a remote trout.

A Kindle is fabulous at times - have one in a nice case with built-in LED lighting that operates off the Kindle battery. Great to be able to read after the sun goes down and not burn up the headlamp batteries.

FACT: I buy UL gear just so I can take luxury items and not have an insanely heavy pack.

Joseph Clark
(applevalleyjoe)

Locale: Mohave Desert
Re: Balvenie... my thoughts exactly on 05/17/2012 19:38:31 MDT Print View

My thoughts...almost exactly...except I take Aberlour Single Malt for "medicinal" purposes!

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: The "naughty" heavy luxury items that you just don't wanna leave behind! on 05/18/2012 16:52:29 MDT Print View

I don't think these are naughty. But on my next trip, I'm probably bringing my Strumstick, which is like a little tiny guitar and weighs over a pound with the case. I'll probably bring a second pair of shoes, not so much as camp shoes, but just to try them out and see how well they do. I might even bring a third pair of shoes for the same reason. And food that isn't dehydrated.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Comfort Weight on 05/18/2012 18:22:35 MDT Print View

I like to think I pack at comfort weight :-)

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Comfort Weight on 05/18/2012 23:29:50 MDT Print View

My dog
Damn state parks

Arlan Beeck
(highpeakdrifter)
Everclear! on 05/19/2012 21:46:10 MDT Print View

At 190 proof, Everclear is 2.5 times as strong as regular 80 proof vodka, tequila, or scotch, making it the ultimate SUL party drink...

Classic SUL Marg...2 rounded teaspoons, (2/5 of an oz.), of Everclear. plus one envelope of Emergen-C Lemon-Lime, along with 8 oz, of water. Shake and drink slowly.

Not only intoxicating, but HEALTHY!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Everclear! on 05/19/2012 21:58:02 MDT Print View

With that, we need an ultralightweight hangover remedy.

--B.G.--

Jon Saffer
(BpGuru) - F
Warm comfort. on 05/23/2012 14:21:37 MDT Print View

I have a preference for taking a good 18 year old scotch especially on cold nights. The weight gets worse because I like to drink it from a metal flask. To me scotch and plastic just don't mix.
Other than the scotch I have a few smaller Vonnegut paper backs that I rotate on longer trips.

ROB WHELAN
(THREEPOINT)
VINO!!! on 05/23/2012 20:45:50 MDT Print View

I once overheard someone at a Fun Run saying they "ran so they could drink".

I'm so glad I discovered I could cut the weight of all those frivolous things like shelter and warmth and leave more space for Red Wine....

Jeffrey McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Fishing gear, DSLR and Hammock on 05/26/2012 09:59:33 MDT Print View

I bring along my tenkara setup and my hammock when there is an opportunity to use them. I also don't get out as much as I'd like (young children), so when I do I bring along my DSLR and a wide angle lens to get some fun pictures. I always hate carrying it around, but I'm always glad I did once I get home.

Edited by Catalyst on 05/26/2012 10:00:48 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: The "naughty" heavy luxury items that you just don't wanna leave behind! on 05/28/2012 18:19:29 MDT Print View

Here's an update. I brought my luxury items: strumstick, extra shoes, full-sized paperback book, bivy sack (I brought a tent), coffee cup. The extra weight of the items plus having to carry 3 liters of water in a few sections KILLED me. I had terrible sciatic nerve pains from the waist band of my pack. I almost couldn't stand up after using my cathole at one point. I could barely hike downhill and dodging poodle dog bush was almost impossible with the inability to move my hip properly.

Sadly, I used and enjoyed all those items, with the exception of the extra shoes. I would bring them all again. The cup was especially nice because someone was giving out hot chocolate on the trail and I was so close to hypothermia at the time it really cheered me up. The bivy sack helped on that really cold night, too.

So now I have to decide: Should I lighten up next time or use a pack that can handle the weight? It was really nice to have things to do and to linger in camp over coffee, music and reading material.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Everclear! on 05/28/2012 20:36:40 MDT Print View

"With that, we need an ultralightweight hangover remedy."

I'd point out that caffeine helps with headaches (hence its use in numerous OTC headache pills). And that for in lieu of your morning tea or coffee you can't get lighter than:

No-Doze tablets.

They are kind of rough on an empty stomach, though.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Luxury Items on 06/01/2012 04:03:10 MDT Print View

I like an extra small Ti mug so i can have a hot drink while dinner cooks in my pot, a small bit of light hand and face lotion, a few wet wipes and camp shoes, which are light teva Mush slippers.

If I'm heading to a beach or place to swim, I may also take a pareau and a child's size inflatable ring.

One item I have been wanting to take on longer hikes, but never have is my mini "Stick" which is a small massage stick, the kind with hard plastic beads over a flexible rod. At 8 oz, it's hard to justify carrying no matter how good it is at working out kinks and triggers points.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Big Knife. on 07/06/2013 22:19:42 MDT Print View

At the top of my 'lux' items, it's a decent knife. For my next hike I'm actually pondering taking a Spyderco Cruwear Mule (on right), which is a whopping 6 oz with sheath. I never pack less than a 2 oz Spyderco Caly Jr. I feel positively naked without a stout knife, minimum 3" blade and preferably 4"....

Spyderco Mule in Cruwear

...and my Thermarest ProLite Plus is quite the barge at 1 lb 6 oz...

...I'm certain nobody's surprised when I admit my base pack weight is currently 13 lbs... feeling so guilty.

Edited by Bolster on 07/06/2013 22:23:03 MDT.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
beer on 07/07/2013 00:41:01 MDT Print View

I'm a horrible camper. I'm not a foodie, I get bored with books when the weather is nice, I never learned how to fish (but I want to), I think pictures from my iPhone are fine (gasp!)

So I bring beer. A couple of 22oz Elysian Immortal IPAs is my fall back. Something about that particular IPA is good all the the time. They pair well with the "where is the nearest high point, anyway?" mentality.

mark henley
(flash582) - F
What does it mean on 07/07/2013 05:16:23 MDT Print View

What does it mean When good scotch only tastes right when drunk from a TI mug?

John Holmes
(jcholmes)

Locale: SouthEastern US
2 oz of Pampero Anniversario Rum per day on 07/07/2013 13:46:18 MDT Print View

Astounding how a couple of swigs at the end of a hard day of hiking makes everything feel better.
There is no greater luxury than that.