Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
ULA Amp pictures
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
ULA Amp pictures on 02/14/2007 23:05:15 MST Print View

The Ula Amp has arrived in Australia. I picked it up from work this morning, put my groceries in it, 10 lb, and discovered that it was not a challenge for the pack. So I arrived home and spotted a request, on another forum, for some pictures including the gear that can fit in it.
Now what I managed to put inside, easily, is what I would carry on a three day hike with a minimum temperature around 32 F.
The gear in the picture is not what I would recommend to carry, but on a quick test it appears that it is doable.
Note the 2 liters of water and the fact that the extended collar is mostly not used. There is enough space in the front (removable pocket) for my aqua shoes ( my camp/river crossing footwear)
My kit is by no means "minimalist" note the full length Insulmat, 2 hats, two pairs of socks.
For most this would be a great day/overnighter pack, for the Ultralighter a thru-hiking pack.
The total weight of my set up is 20b.
Some of the bits
Tarptent Contrail
Insulmat ThermoMax
WM Highlite
Montane rain jacket and pants
1 l pot

My version of the frame is made up from the Insulmat/WM bag at the bottom (inside the stuff sacks, positioned vertically) and my folded possum down jumper with the food bag holding it against the back wall (towards the straps..)
The result is a nice "soft" and flat wall against my back. Obviously a puffy jacket would work just as well.
The reason I mentioned the frame bit is because most talk about torso only pads for this type of pack, but it does not have to be.
Franco
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Edited by Franco on 02/14/2007 23:12:42 MST.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: ULA Amp pictures on 02/15/2007 06:30:04 MST Print View

Thanks for the nice pics! Please share a long-term report in the future!

Todd

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: ULA Amp pictures on 02/15/2007 21:05:44 MST Print View

Oh, cool. Thanks Franco.
-Mark