Forum Index » Pre-Trip Planning » Bay Area GGG 5.0

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 Choose a date on 09/16/2012 21:36:11 MDT Print View

January 25-27 full moon weekend

Edit: Date chosen.

Edited by kthompson on 10/03/2012 22:55:28 MDT.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Bay Area GGG 5.0 BPL members get together! on 09/16/2012 22:07:37 MDT Print View

I've mentioneed this before, but a great place to go that would also get more people from SoCal involved would be going to Pinnacles National Monument.

It is not much of a trip past Henry Coe, but 5 not so long hours from LA (better than 7 or more anyway).

I've wanted to hit every one of these but have had to work during all but the first one and had a great time.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 BPL members get together! on 09/16/2012 22:18:49 MDT Print View

I already make the 8 hour drive. thanks. Remember the Bay Area I'm in is Humboldt Bay. Coe is really in the middle. Just depends on how bad you want to be there. People have flown from the east coast, driven from out of state, etc...

Any idea on how permitting for groups is done at Pinnacles? So easy at Coe.

Which weekend could you make Aaron?

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 BPL members get together! on 09/18/2012 10:57:17 MDT Print View

Hey Ken,

I am in the Coast Guard on a ship, so plans change all the time.

Pinnacles just has a maximum number of people that can stay at one campsite (I think it is 8). You would just need to pick the largest number of camping sites that are close together.

Not sure if you knew, but I was the one who started these get togethers about 5 years ago in the first place. At least it started out as a BPL gathering.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11125&skip_to_post=81180#81180

So I have wanted to go to every one of them, but have been elsewhere for all but the first.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 BPL members get together! on 09/18/2012 12:44:27 MDT Print View

Sorry Ken Helwig gets honors for the GGG. Since it is really not a hike but a backcountry social.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16572&skip_to_post=124975#124975

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16572&skip_to_post=124975#124975

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 BPL members get together! on 09/19/2012 10:35:59 MDT Print View

Hi, Ken

The last GGG was a blast--so many great BPL'rs attended, lots of UL gear was displayed that previously I'd only heard about (but was then able to see up-close-and-personal), and the food and drink were exceptional, too--so I'm hoping to make it to GGG 5.0.

I can't make a firm commitment at this point (for the reason mentioned in my recent PM to you), but it's more likely that I'd be able to make it to an event scheduled for the February date.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to organize these events.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/02/2012 16:18:49 MDT Print View

Looking forward to this.

Is it a dry event this year ?

Any chance of funding SamH, AndrewS, or MikeC! To come give a clinic ?

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/02/2012 18:14:19 MDT Print View

"Any chance of funding SamH, AndrewS, or MikeC! To come give a clinic ?"

Not a bad idea! I'd also be interested in seeing some more cottage manufacturers. Trail Designs and Gossamer Gear were great additions last year.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/02/2012 19:19:48 MDT Print View

So more celebs and big name talent are wanted. OK let's see what can be made to happen. I agree that more of the cottage folk attending would be great. Many here seem to be fairly tight with some of them. If so and you think they should attend a GGG please invite them. I am working on a invite for some of them too.

Hikin' Jim will be back for another fireball/stove demo.

Amy Lauterbach has offered to teach us all more about the birds of Coe.

I hope that Trail Designs and Gossamer Gear will attend again.

A dry event this year? I won't be checking bags or playing parent. I only ask that people remember that children are attending, and to use some discretion and common sense. If you become a bother, you will leave. Simple.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/02/2012 19:37:58 MDT Print View

GGG 5.0

THE best thing happening on the west...seriously...Go and have a fun time folks!

Edited by kennyhel77 on 10/02/2012 21:25:59 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 15:09:03 MDT Print View

I vote for January....great way to kick off the new year!

Will be the unofficial photographer....maybe I will have a new camera by then?

(I have only been talking about it and researching for the past 1.2 yrs).

Last year was special in that we had such a large turn out and with families, we had our 1st manufactures coming out to represent, we had our stove expert Hikin' Jim giving demos and providing a wealth of information to everyone.

Ken T. has this dialed in pretty well....happy to help out anyway that I can.

There was supposed to be an article written and submitted to BPL outlining how it was all put together.

Not sure if that article was ever submitted or if BPL is just sitting on it, waiting for the right time to publish it.

-Tony

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 15:13:57 MDT Print View

"Is it a dry event this year ?"

Well, I'm sure everyone always hopes it doesn't rain, but it's hard to give a proper weather forecast this far out.....

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 17:47:20 MDT Print View

Or was Cameron referring to if there would be alcohol there, given that there are children present?

My thoughts are that alcohol is fine....we are adults and nothing in excess.

Last thing I want to see is Ken H. running around naked and looking to share a tent with someone.

Why do you think I use a bivy bag? :)

-Tony

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Re: Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 17:53:34 MDT Print View

Oh no, I could only imagine what Tony would do with a DSLR.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/03/2012 19:47:13 MDT Print View

January 25-27th, 2013 Henry Coe

I'll make that official. January has been fairly kind weather wise as of late. Hopefully that will continue one more time.

I will reserve some spots ASAP.

That's a Friday trough Sunday. Anyone want to go in on some car camping spots for Thurs. night? I'm for stretching it out as long as possible.

I will start a thread in trip announcements. Please follow the discussion over there.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68870&skip_to_post=588913#588913

Edited by kthompson on 10/03/2012 22:50:42 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/27/2012 11:11:53 MDT Print View

Just and idea for something fun to do since this is right after the holidays.

How about a contest for the most pimped out shelter?

I remember a few years back, Nate bought out xmas lights to go on his shelter.

Could Xmas out the shelter for fun.

-Tony

Matthew Black
(mtblack) - M
Re: Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/28/2012 00:26:13 MDT Print View

I'm probably down for Thursday. It's only an hour away for me.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/28/2012 00:30:35 MDT Print View

So Ron Moak from SMD is giving it a go at attending. He was fun in the Alps last October.

The Gossamer Gear folks will represent too.
Their plan is to do OR for the first two days then come and attend the GGG.
So we will keep the date as is.

The invites to manufacturers are going out.

Let me know who you would love to meet.

a b
(Ice-axe)
Re: Re: Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/28/2012 00:42:53 MDT Print View

It was so fun meeting the folks of Trail Designs (Caldera Cone) last year.
Watching the manufacturer themselves kindle a blaze and cook a steak on their own product was pretty real.
They are local i believe and i hope they attend this year.

Glad you are keeping the flame alive Ken.

BPL is about people more than anything.

Cheers Bro.

Edited by Ice-axe on 10/28/2012 00:44:51 MDT.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Manufactures at Bay Area GGG 5.0 on 10/28/2012 02:49:27 MDT Print View

Ken,

I would love to see Henry from Tarptents and Ron from Mountain Laurel Designs be able to make it out.

Thrilled to hear that the manufactures are coming out to spend time with us.

Ken....do you think it might be possible for us to bring some folding tables in the support vehicles for the manufactures to use to display their products?

-Tony