Forum Index » GEAR » Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features? on 02/14/2007 18:26:40 MST Print View

I *love* the double-use concept of the Gatewood, but I sometimes hike in places where the bugs actually leave a trickle of blood running down your arm after they bite.

The Gatewood and Wild Oasis seem so similar... yet the Gatewood omits the bugscreen. Does anyone know why?

Is it possible to build or retrofit a bugscreen kit to the Gatewood? (Or sew a hood into the Oasis! :D)

Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Mark W Heninger
(heninger) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features? on 02/15/2007 01:25:27 MST Print View

The bug screen part would seriously get in the way in poncho mode.

Ron Moak
(rmoak) - F
Re: Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features? on 02/15/2007 07:14:00 MST Print View

When using the Gatewood Cape in mosquito country, you can use one of a number of bug nets that are available on the market. Gossamer Gear sells a light three ounce one that should work well.

Personally I use a bug net hat, though that can be annoying at times and doesn't have near the coverage.

Ron

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: Re: Gatewood Cape with Wild Oasis features? on 02/15/2007 09:48:53 MST Print View

Thanks very much Ron! I'll check it out.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
mosquito netting on 02/15/2007 17:44:00 MST Print View

Wow Ron, the GG design seems great. I was going to recommend the Mombasa Defender (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47946154&parent_category_rn=4500540&vcat=REI_SEARCH)which I've used with tarps, but at half the weight and less cost, your suggestion may convince me to buy a new net myself.

Eric Carlsen
(cooleric1234) - F
Equinox Mantis on 02/15/2007 19:53:06 MST Print View

I haven't personally bought it yet but you may also want to look at the Equinox Mantis.