full size DSLR on trail
Display Avatars Sort By:
herrey john
(clifton) - F
SLR on 05/23/2012 03:53:24 MDT Print View

Well A full-frame digital SLR is a digital single-lens reaction camera (DSLR) fixed with an picture antenna that is the similar size as a 35 mm (36×24 mm) motion picture border.
Get more here

Edited by clifton on 05/26/2012 08:31:41 MDT.

Nick DeBarmore
(nicodebarmore) - F
crucial: camera strap + less gear on 05/29/2012 20:26:45 MDT Print View

My quick thoughts on full size DSLR in the field..

Your camera must be accessible or you will be less likely to take photos.
Tripod is essential for great landscapes.

Solution: BlackRapid camera sling strap http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/
I wear the camera on this and actually put it on weaved through my pack straps. Fiddle with it and you'll figure it out. It places the camera down by your hip and you can rig it so that the weight of the camera is transferred to your pack straps instead of your neck.

I have a Gitzo carbon fiber travelers tripod that I can draw from the side of my pack without removing it.

graduated ND filters are handheld and kept in a velcro pocket on my zip off pants

Finally, a quality 24-70mm range lens will cover most situations. If you need to go wider, stitch it in post and if you need more focal length...well...I suppose you can crop. I generally only do telephoto landscape when I am with my vehicle.

You can read a BUNCH more about photography and backpacking at my website...

Cheers!
Nico

Nico DeBarmore Dot Com
Philmont Photos Dot Com

Edited by nicodebarmore on 05/29/2012 20:32:07 MDT.

Bill Heiser
(bheiser1) - F
The Capture Clip may be what you're looking for on 07/07/2012 22:37:17 MDT Print View

I used to carry my DSLR in a LowePro bag over my neck (or over my pack) and hanging on my chest. That wasn't optimal (to say the least). I've recently started using a Capture Clip by Peak Design. So far, so good ...

I'm using it with a lighter camera (Nikon D5100) but it may work for you with your full size DSLR.

http://peakdesignltd.com/capture.htm

For weather/dust protection I carry a neoprene case I can slip over the camera and still attach it to the clip.

Tracy Grounds
(tracygrounds) - F

Locale: Indiana, USA
DSLR on 07/08/2012 11:10:51 MDT Print View

Have you looked into some of the lightweight military gear with MOLLE attachments?

If you look at companies like Maxpedition, Condor Outdoors, or Voodoo tactical you can get a backpack that has MOLLE webbing, then get different pouches for the camera and lenses which can attach via this method. I prefer Maxpedition because you can get it in a variety of colors, there are items specific to photo, and the material is bulletproof.

Tracy Grounds

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: full size DSLR on trail on 07/08/2012 12:23:07 MDT Print View

I have used Lock and Lock food storage boxes for camera storage in my pack. I wouldn't want to guaranty one against full immersion with expensive gear, but I'm confident about rain and dust protection. They make long ones for pasta storage that you might be able to use for long lens storage. The small round ones definitely work for short lenses. They are the lightest option I have found for hard-sided waterproof containers.

For basic protection the Zing line of camera covers are light and protect against bumps. I have used a Zing cover on my camera along with a Lock and Lock box. Domke makes some simple padded wraps that will protect anything.

But the problem I have with hauling a DSLR is deciding whether to keep in im my pack, or out where I can rap off a shot without having to stop, unload, shoot and pack it up again. It is an easier decision on a day hike and good weather. There are lots of chest pack arrangements that use top-loader camera bags--- Lowepro makes a bunch. Some come with harnesses and most have D-rings that you can make quick connects to your backpack shoulder straps, which also takes the weight off your neck. Quick attach buckles can be snapped onto the slider webbing for a sternum strap, and then used with a side release buckle and snap hooks. The top loader bags can be used for storage in your pack or carried "up front" as conditions and your needs permit. Bouncing is proportional to the amount of hardware and connections you can tolerate.

OP/TECH USA makes this arrangment to go directly to the camera, but it could be adapted to a top loader bag with D-rings. It will bounce.
OP/TECH USA camera straps

Edited by dwambaugh on 07/08/2012 12:23:49 MDT.

Chris Alexander
(alexandec)

Locale: USA
5D on the PCT on 09/14/2012 17:29:15 MDT Print View

I've been carrying a 5D with 24-105L lens my entire Pacific Crest Trail thru hike. Just 250 miles left to go. I'm using a Think Tank Holster 20 on my pack's hip belt. It's worked well, and provides good rain protection with the included rain cover.

I've been posting photos the whole way at mexicotocanada.com, and you can also view photos of me wearing the Think Tank holster there.

Cheers,
Chris (Shutterbug)

Edited by alexandec on 09/14/2012 17:34:53 MDT.

Frank Deland
(rambler) - M

Locale: On the AT in VA
camera on the front? on 09/24/2012 19:41:04 MDT Print View

http://www.aarnpacks.com/

Others, too mention:

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Edited by rambler on 09/24/2012 19:43:49 MDT.

M W
(rcmike) - MLife

Locale: California
Cotton Carrier on 09/24/2012 20:10:39 MDT Print View

I just bought the Cotton Carrier Strapshot. I haven't tested it yet but it looks promising.