Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Born to Run ??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
Born to Run ?? on 04/27/2012 10:48:08 MDT Print View

I wasn't born to run.
The spirit is willing but the body is all wrong, more suited to being a wrestler or a halfback.
Yet in real life I pretend I'm an ultra runner.
and this brings me to the issue ...
"Born to Run" the book.
I've gotten through about 35 pages in 6 months.
not saying I don't like it, but, well, I'm just too busy running.
So, those of you who have actually finished the book, should I continue, take some time off running and finish the thing ?
why ? or why not ?

Edited by asandh on 04/27/2012 11:14:17 MDT.

Emil Gazda
(Emilio)

Locale: Southeast
Born to Run on 04/27/2012 11:24:44 MDT Print View

Funny, I just finished reading this great book today. I started reading it the day before last and was instantly mesmerized. I don't see how you'd have to cut back on running to finish it. Put it by your bed at night and read a few chapters, though if you haven't finished it yet it probably isn't entertaining to you anyways. No big deal.

It really captivated me even though I hadn't run long distances since four years ago while still in the Army. Reading about the broken runner who can only put in a few miles due to pain who then transformed himself into a 50 miler is very inspirational and has motivated me to register for my first trail race, a marathon that takes place annually right in my hometown!

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
Re: Born to Run ?? on 04/27/2012 11:37:44 MDT Print View

I found the book very inspiring, and read it cover to cover. That said, I was nagged by some contradictions. The author talks up vegetarian foods, and mentions that the Indians run because they are hunters. He talks up barefoot running, and describes the Indians making sandals.

Of course if I split the difference then I see something that supports my minimal shoe, omnivorous, lifestyle.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Born to Run on 04/27/2012 13:32:39 MDT Print View

I enjoyed this book a lot. At the time, I found barefoot running and the Tarahumara very interesting. Otherwise, I would say the writing was unremarkable, it was mostly the topics I enjoyed. I didn't find it contradictory though, McDougall talks up the apparent benefits of barefoot running but never claims it to be more than just a good training tool. Art, if you got 35 pages in 6 months, you probably won't be drawn much into the rest of the book either, just my guess.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Born to Run ??" on 04/27/2012 14:44:02 MDT Print View

Art,

I would say go ahead and make some time to finish the book, may as well finish what you started or face the dreaded DNF! ;-p

I enjoyed Born to Run on a strictly entertainment level and steered clear of the pseudo-science for the most part, it was a fun read and the characters and stories are vibrant and uplifting. Simply put, if you enjoy running, specifically ultra running, then it's worth the time. Christopher McDougal makes some grossly overarching statements pertaining to barefoot running in the book and much of it borderlines on sensational- the current barefoot craze wouldn't be the circus that it is today had this book not been released.

Art, I feel the same about "Desert Solitaire" as you do about "Born to Run", there are some nuggets of pure gold in Abbey's words, but much of it slithers along on its belly rather slowly and I'm debating whether or not I even want to finish it.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: "Born to Run ??" on 04/27/2012 15:55:11 MDT Print View

Eugene,

Everyone is going to feel differently about the books they attempt to read, of course, but "Desert Solitaire" (and "Arctic Dreams", "This Cold Heaven", and "My Story As Told By Water") is one of my all time favorite books. It's those "slow" quiet parts of the book that especially held meaning for me, much like the difference between sitting on a rock and gazing at the stars compared to descending a heart-thumping steep trail with crumbling rocks. I go out there FOR the quiet and the lack of adrenaline. This is part of what Abbey captured so well.

I haven't read "Born to Run" yet, so I can't comment on that. But it's in my Kindle, ready to read.

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
finish it on 04/28/2012 04:54:36 MDT Print View

Hey... get into your runner mentality and just finish it. I found it super inspiring and as you get through it there is some really great stuff on the mechanics of running.

Speaking of which... I need to get off the computer. My first race is in a few hours!

Seriously though, good read!! Great read. Worth it. Totally.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Born to Run ?? on 04/28/2012 22:12:15 MDT Print View

I've read "born to run" 3 times. I find it pretty entertaining.

But as far as facts and all.....

Its a fun read for me. If you don't like it, throw it away and read something you like.

Steve S
(idahosteve) - F

Locale: Idaho
Re: Born to Run ?? on 04/29/2012 19:29:26 MDT Print View

I run, and this book changed my mechanics. I ran all thru high school, have run for years and years.... now at 50+, I actually run faster, with less effort than ever before. Also, I laughed my butt off continually as the book progressed. Great read, get on with it! :)

Leslie Thurston
(lesler) - F

Locale: right here, right now
run with it! on 04/30/2012 06:32:58 MDT Print View

as a former competitive runner, i simply found it inspiring.
humans are definitely pushing barriers!
on an altogether somewhat different/related note...
check this:
http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/outdoor-blogs/editors-blog/ultrarunner-found-dead/

Ty Ty
(TylerD)

Locale: SE US
Good read on 05/01/2012 06:57:08 MDT Print View

I thought it was a good book regardless if you do or don't want to run barefoot.