Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17
Display Avatars Sort By:
David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 04/26/2012 23:33:43 MDT Print View

PLEASE NOTE THE HIKE HAS BEEN MOVED FROM TO A HIGHER ELEVATION DUE TO HOT WEATHER. The hike will be from Kennedy Meadows to Emigrant Lake. I have received confirmation from everyone that that change works. Others are still welcome to join.

Where: Emigrant Wilderness, Kennedy Meadows to Emigrant Lake.
When: Meet at the trailhead parking lot by 10:00 AM Friday June 15
Trailhead: Kennedy Meadows off of CA-108.
Ranger Station: Pinecrest.
Hiking Distance: Approximately 13 miles each way.
Fishing: Excellent.
Campfires: Not within a half mile of Emigrant Lake or above 9k feet.
Bear Canister: Not required.
Elevation between 7,000 and 9,000 feet.

Confirmed attendees:
Jack
Kevin
Marc+1
Matt
David L.
Mike +1

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 06/13/2012 19:18:51 MDT.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
Sounds fun on 04/27/2012 02:28:06 MDT Print View

I can tentatively commit and will let you know as it gets a little closer. I've never explored that area before so it should be an awesome trip!

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 04/27/2012 20:27:23 MDT Print View

I'll put in for that day when I go back to work on Mon. LETS GO FISHING!

Frank H.
(porker110) - F

Locale: California
Emmigrant Wilderness June on 04/27/2012 20:52:37 MDT Print View

"I can tentatively commit and will let you know as it gets a little closer. I've never explored that area before so it should be an awesome trip!"

I'm on the same boat as Erik

-Frank

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17" on 04/29/2012 22:45:21 MDT Print View

I'm interested.......

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 05/07/2012 12:30:38 MDT Print View

I'm interested also.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 05/10/2012 13:24:28 MDT Print View

It looks like a great group so far and others are still welcome to join. Below is a picture of Many Island Lake for those who may be on the fence. I am looking forward to getting out there. 1

Mike Urban
(murban) - M

Locale: Northern CA, East Bay
Re: Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 05/23/2012 21:36:31 MDT Print View

I'm interested. Have never been to this area. You may have mentioned it already but where is the trailhead?

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Re: Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 05/24/2012 00:03:15 MDT Print View

Mike, I hope you can make it. The trailhead is near Cherry Reservoir (Lake Lloyd) off of CA-120.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
im in on 05/31/2012 22:41:34 MDT Print View

im in

as long as jack doesn t mind me standing in front of his house with my pack on

sticking my thumb out when he gets ready to leave lol might even make a sign that says bpl or bust just so he gets the hint hahahahah

kevin

Gary Gilbert
(flamingo_cafe) - F
Re: Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 06/02/2012 08:16:39 MDT Print View

I'm interested. I'd be flying in from the mid-west. What are the trip details for meeting up before the trip? Is anyone up for an additional few days in the area for more hiking? Also, what are the details for camp equipment and food? Looking forward to getting more information and trip details. Thanks, Gary.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Yep on 06/02/2012 16:46:35 MDT Print View

It looks like me and a couple of buddies will be coming up that weekend. We might be heading up to Crabtree though, will post on here as soon as I nail everyone down.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Meetup - Emigrant Wilderness, CA June 15-17 on 06/03/2012 22:28:24 MDT Print View

Kevin- It will be good to see you!

Gary- Glad you interested in joining. Do you have transportation figured out yet? I figure we will meet at the trailhead on Friday morning to start hiking. People generally come prepared to be self sufficient for camp equipment, cooking and food. If you are missing something or would like to share/borrow a piece of equipment or meal, you can post some more details and someone may be able to assist.

Erik- Were you and your friends thinking about going towards Many Island Lake via Crabtree? It would be great to get to meet some new faces but it doesn't happen, no worries.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 06/03/2012 22:29:59 MDT.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Meet-up Emigrant Wilderness June 15-17 on 06/03/2012 22:42:16 MDT Print View

Wish I could make it David but I have family trip planned to Trinity Alps/Morris Meadows that same weekend. We can have dueling trip reports afterwards. Have a great time! Thievery Corporation...

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Meet-up Emigrant Wilderness June 15-17 on 06/03/2012 22:55:39 MDT Print View

Jay, sounds like fun with the family but watch out for those deer in Morris Meadow. Enjoy yourselves and I will catch you on the next trip. I'll bring the Thievery since you can't make it.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
how is the terrain on 06/04/2012 09:19:02 MDT Print View

how is the terrain around the lake is there any place to get stakes in the ground or is a freestanding shelter a must??

i was hoping to bring a tarp/bivy but if its not a good place to pitch it then ill change things up

thanks

kevin

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Crabtree on 06/04/2012 12:20:41 MDT Print View

David,

I'm going with one or two traditional backpackers and I don't think they want to do any bigger miles. I'm down to meet up at Many Island Lake as it looks beautiful...what trail head would you be starting from?

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: Emigrant Wilderness, CA June on 06/04/2012 18:13:44 MDT Print View

My bro wants to come. Is there room?

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Re: Emigrant Wilderness, CA June on 06/04/2012 22:36:50 MDT Print View

Marc, there is definitely room.

Erik, I am planning to use the trailhead at Cherry Reservoir.

Kevin, I have never been to Many Island Lake before. I know there is an incredible amount of granite in the area but judging from google earth, I think there should be a few forested pockets where we can sink stakes in the ground. I don't own any freestanding shelters so I will be in the same boat as you.

I'll try and update the original post with more information for everyone who are interested in coming.

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 06/04/2012 22:58:14 MDT.

Jane Baack
(JaneB.) - MLife
Re: Emigrant Wilderness Meetup June 15-17 on 06/05/2012 21:01:34 MDT Print View

David, Kevin, Jack, Marc and others-

Three of us hiked into Kibbie Lake May 22-24, the day after the lost UCSC student was found. We used the same trailhead you will use. Hope the following info. is useful:

Phone the Groveland Ranger Station one day in advance of when you want to pick up your permit and reserve a permit. The permit will be waiting for you when you arrive the next day and since you're going in on a Friday by phoning on Thursday morning you're more certain of getting a permit.

Bear canisters required and no dogs are allowed on the Kibbie Ridge trails.

Allow about one hour from the time you leave Hwy. 120 to reach trailhead. (Oh, dear-should I give time or distance??RE: recent thread elsewhere) Once near Cherry Lake follow signs for the lake, not the campground, and then cross the dam and follow signs for Kibbie Lake and/or Kibbie Ridge Trail. Trailhead parking area has no water but does have a bear locker. No garbage cans. We couldn't have a campfire in the Kibbie Lake area but you may be able to-ask in Groveland.

You'll start hiking up on the Kibbie Ridge Trail and then pass by the turnoff trail to Kibbie Lake. We had a lot of downed trees on our trail hope you don't as they slow you down. Well, they slowed us down as we're all older Grandmas and two of us are very short so it wasn't easy to get over the huge logs.

Kevin, there is a lot of granite in that general area but I took my Hexamid and got all my stakes in OK. The others had a Tarptent Moment and a Six Moon Designs tarp so no free-standing tents and we found good places for all three shelters.

Hope you have great weather, some wildflowers and a good time all around.

Jane