Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My Logan bread recipe
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

Locale: Oregon
My Logan bread recipe on 04/26/2012 23:31:52 MDT Print View

I made a batch tonight, and I thought I'd share. It's been well received by fellow hikers, and it has become my staple lunch/snack food. I've found recipes online, but they all seem to call for loads of oil or something else I don't want to include. This is made from ingredients I try to keep stocked anyway.

Fresh from the oven (phone pic):
logan bread 1

Texture close up:
logan bread 2

Recipe:
3 C whole wheat flour
3 C AP flour
2/3 C powdered milk
2 tsp salt
tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

lightly toast:
1 C old fashioned oats
1/2 C wheat germ
2/3 C chopped nuts (I've been using pecans)

1/2 C dark brown sugar
1 C chopped dried fruit (this batch was half strawberries and half dates)
1/2 C melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1 C honey, warmed
~1 C warm water (this batch used about 1.25 C)

Instructions:
Mix the dry ingredients together in a very large bowl, aerating well. Toast the oats, wheat germ, and nuts in a 350F oven for 5 minutes, stir/flip, and toast another 3 minutes. (Tip: don't go too long; if you smell the nuts with the oven closed, they're burned.) Add to dry mix. Add the sugar and fruit and mix well.

Melt the butter; meanwhile, whisk the eggs. Heat the honey. (Tip: this is the best time to grease the pan since you're about to knead.) Add the remainder of the wet ingredients, reserving some of the water in case less than a cup is enough. Knead. (I manage this one handed; if you have a stand mixer, I'm jealous.) The dough should be thick and sticky; you will get club hand if you're doing this by hand.

Grease a 9"x13" baking dish and spread out best you can. Bake at 350F for 40 to 50 minutes. 40 minutes will leave it moister, 50 minutes will make it dry enough to last a respectable amount of time without freezing or refrigeration. I'm assuming 60 minutes makes it bone dry, good for longevity, bad for taste.

Totals (not portioned out): 6624 cal, 171.2g fat, 1200g carb of which 98.9g fiber and 377.4g sugar, 161.7g protein.

In 36 pieces, each piece then: 184 cal, 4.76g fat, 33.3g carb of which 2.75g fiber and 10.5g sugar, 4.5g protein.

Edit: Total weight 74.6 oz not completely cool or dry. 8 pieces from the center in a freezer bag: 16.2 oz. So admittedly, below the ideal calories per ounce. But delicious! And this is the wettest batch I've made yet; the center was still nice and moist like banana bread should be.

-Jeff

Edited by j.j.81 on 04/27/2012 00:16:14 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/27/2012 01:17:14 MDT Print View

Jeff, your Logan Bread looks interesting. Mine is a lot darker and appears to be heavier, but I can understand that since mine has no eggs. It would be interesting to see how long yours keeps without any mold. I found that moist fruit bits will grow mold earlier, so I use nothing but dry fruit bits.

--B.G.--

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/27/2012 11:18:09 MDT Print View

Bob, are you willing to share your recipe.

John Jensen
(JohnJ) - F

Locale: Orange County, CA
Re: Re: Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/27/2012 11:24:11 MDT Print View

Bob's original, and my variation, are here.

I walked up on a group saying mine tasted good ;-), so I know I have unbiased opinion.

I need to try a batch with candied ginger ...

Update: heh, when I told them Bob's version lasted 30 days, they all stopped, hand on the way to mouth, and said "how old are these?"

Edited by JohnJ on 04/27/2012 11:33:22 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/27/2012 12:18:33 MDT Print View

John beat me to the punch.

Some Logan Bread is intended to travel for a long time. I've eaten my own Logan Bread that is six months old, and I have some in my kitchen now that I baked in July 2011. It is developing a certain character.

I will eat it as long as there is no mold growing on it and it doesn't break a tooth.

--B.G.--

Jeff J
(j.j.81) - F

Locale: Oregon
Mold on 04/27/2012 17:29:36 MDT Print View

When I first made some, I left some out on the counter but in a ziploc bag, just like how I would carry it on a trip, to see when mold would start. I had eaten the rest of that batch before any mold started, about two weeks, so I ate that portion as well before I found out. It wasn't terribly stale, just a little extra toothiness to it. I speculate that the cup of honey does a decent job of inhibiting any funk, as well as baking it dry.

Last night was the first time I've actually added up the nutritional info; I might add some coconut butter or something to boost the calories. I'm disappointed that it's below 100cal/oz.

-Jeff

Rick Horne
(Rick778) - M

Locale: NorCal - South Bay - Campbell
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/28/2012 09:41:11 MDT Print View

I had the chance to taste Bobs last summer and it was tasty. Not sure how old it was :-(

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My Logan bread recipe on 04/28/2012 15:00:35 MDT Print View

It tastes good only on the last half of a backpack trip, when you are already getting hungry.

--B.G.--

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Jeff's Logan Bread on 05/11/2012 17:34:22 MDT Print View

Jeff,
Your bread looks like it could be fun. From your totals above, you state that it was cut in 36 pieces and how many calories were in each. About what size were each of those pieces? Also, your post is about a few weeks old now, do you still have some bread left? how is it holding up?

Edited by Lopez on 05/11/2012 17:53:00 MDT.